PCC elections: make a difference to the future of firearms licensing

BASC has launched a contact platform to allow you to find out where your local Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) candidates stand on firearms licensing ahead of PCC elections on 2 May 2024.

In England and Wales, PCCs are responsible for holding Chief Constables, who in turn are responsible for service delivery, to account. They also preside over the police budget and Policing Plan.

Consequently, PCCs play a vital part in ensuring your local police force fulfils its statutory obligations on firearms licensing and delivers the service in an efficient and effective manner, while protecting public safety.

We are asking anyone who shoots to email their prospective PCC candidates using our electronic contact platform in advance of the election. The aim of contacting each candidate is establish where they stand on shooting and firearms licensing.

NOTE: Not all candidates are yet to be announced but we will be adding them when their details are released. Please use the site for the candidates that we have and check back for new candidates in your area. 

Click the weblink below to get started.

I shall be voting for Rory Palmer in Leicestershire as, back when he was an MEP, he was the only one that gave a damn about proactively helping me with problems with the French authorities and my wife's right of entry to France. Taking the matter up with them at the highest level and gaining a successful and correct result against their unlawful attempts to deny my family her proper entitlement to residency there.

The Conservative Candidate, Matthews, even though he is the incumbent PCC I wouldn't give the time of day to. Look up his Wikipedia entry. Sometimes there is more to life than guns. Leicestershire has a good firearms licensing department so I shall vote on the broader picture. But for others in other force areas there may be something in asking the candidates their views.

But for me in Leicestershire I will vote for Rory Palmer. He is a good man and one that listens and helps. Leicestershire would be well served having him as our PCC.

Edited by enfieldspares

14 hours ago, jall25 said:

Conor

I clicked through to the letter - started filling it in - but think its irrelevant for Derbyshire as the department are great

Is that any use to you guys ?

Thanks, feel free to amend the template text as you wish, but I think it works well for every force, regardless of their performance, good or bad.

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks, feel free to amend the template text as you wish, but I think it works well for every force, regardless of their performance, good or bad.

I see - we can amend the letter as we see fit 

Hello Connor,

I see that you’re listing the present incumbent and Steve Lodge (LibDem) as candidates. The govt website www.choosemypcc.org.uk is not providing names until 08th April. Does this mean there may be others in the pipeline ?

regards, Tedward.

The Northamptonshire PCC incumbent Stephen Mold (Conservative) isn't standing for re-election following several high profile faux pas. The Labour candidate isn't contactable. Unfortunately our PCC is also in charge of the Fire Service and making a dog's dinner of that too. 

17 hours ago, Tedward said:

Hello Connor,

I see that you’re listing the present incumbent and Steve Lodge (LibDem) as candidates. The govt website www.choosemypcc.org.uk is not providing names until 08th April. Does this mean there may be others in the pipeline ?

regards, Tedward.

Yes, there will be many others coming forward. We will be updating the campaign site weekly with all latest candidates.

“They are responsible for appointing the Chief Constable, holding them to account for running the force, and if necessary dismissing them; setting the police and crime objectives for their area through a police and crime plan.”

that should stop another Keyham then !

On 06/04/2024 at 02:46, steve_b_wales said:

The two who are up for the job with south Wales police, cannot be contacted!!

There are 4 in south wales.

lib dem,  labour, conservative and plaid.

Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2024 at 16:49, Tedward said:

Conor,

has BASC received any replies from the three candidates standing for Devon and Cornwall PCC ?

regards, Tedward.

As things stand we have not published any answers from Alison Hernandez or Steve Lodge. We haven't listed Daniel Steel yet on our website.

Edited by Conor O'Gorman