Help with lead ban for a simpleton please

Hi all!

Please don’t roll your eyes and think ’Another lead ban thread’, as a non government clued person, or upto date shooting guy…… I need it clarifying really from people in the know. Has it been introduced yet? When will find out? Do you think it will be introduced, and does it cover just over water as I have read?

Has BASC done over the shooting community?

Is CPSA involved??

I have seen so many different posts about it. Could anyone please put it into a really simple term? With actual facts/confirmation?

I have checked the other threads, but all have so many contradicting answers?

Internet sites are where folk can express opinions and PW is no different. Consequently, it is conceivable that the number of such can match the number of posters. Therefore, the best answer is to wait and see. One fact in our favour is that ammunition has a longish supply line which is often multi national. This means that allowances must be made to cater for existing contractual obligations from the miners to the cartridge retailers. This does give us, the end users, some wiggle room in which to make our decisions.

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Internet sites are where folk can express opinions and PW is no different. Consequently, it is conceivable that the number of such can match the number of posters. Therefore, the best answer is to wait and see. One fact in our favour is that ammunition has a longish supply line which is often multi national. This means that allowances must be made to cater for existing contractual obligations from the miners to the cartridge retailers. This does give us, the end users, some wiggle room in which to make our decisions.

Thankyou! I put up a post about a .410 pump and was put off a bit by the lead ban, 

but with a possible 5 year transition…..if I stock up on ammo, I could have 5 years worth of fun??

im a glass half full kinda guy, so just needed it explaining in a proper simple way 

18 minutes ago, BobbyH said:

Thankyou! I put up a post about a .410 pump and was put off a bit by the lead ban, 

but with a possible 5 year transition…..if I stock up on ammo, I could have 5 years worth of fun??

im a glass half full kinda guy, so just needed it explaining in a proper simple way 

We are well into the 5 years of transition and the ban will be on buying and shooting it.  We will soon have a Labour Government who are very anti shooting.  I love 410's but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now.

Edited by Weihrauch17

Just buy the .410 you fancy a 1000 carts and enjoy .if you have to stop. Then £300 on the gun and £ 350 on carts 

Isn't the end of the world  .jeepers a decent sh  12b  will cost that .

Also I don't find that there is a huge difference in cartridge  price between .410 and 12 these days .

I pay around £100 a slab for .410 and £90 for  12 b 

Since they announced the 5 year transition period back in 2021 ? Was it ?

I've bought 3   .410s  sold one still have the other 2 . I shoot them more than any other gun these days . 

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Just buy the .410 you fancy a 1000 carts and enjoy .if you have to stop. Then £300 on the gun and £ 350 on carts 

Isn't the end of the world  .jeepers a decent sh  12b  will cost that .

Also I don't find that there is a huge difference in cartridge  price between .410 and 12 these days .

I pay around £100 a slab for .410 and £90 for  12 b 

For Lead yes but not Steel or TSS etc.

18 hours ago, BobbyH said:

m a glass half full kinda guy, so just needed it explaining in a proper simple way 

The simple TL:DR is:

People regularly conflate The Shooting Org's proposed voluntary 5 year transition away from lead, with the UK HSE consulting on banning lead.  

Sentences such as this don't help:

18 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

We are well into the 5 years of transition and the ban will be on buying and shooting it.

So, to be clear, we are about halfway through the voluntary transition, and the HSE is reviewing responses to a second consultation.  

No ban, or even proposed date for a ban exists yet.

The fact that some people argue that BASC and the other org's (admittedly dreadfully communicated) voluntary transition begat the ban, or whether it was an attempt to get ahead of any ban, is much debated on forums, but ultimately academic. Chicken/egg, post hoc ergo propter hoc, etc.

Zoom out a little, countries such as Denmark have phased out lead.  The EU is conducting a similar consultation to the UK HSE on banning lead, though at the European level they are more...susceptible to lobbying, shall we say, than the UK HSE is.

My advice, buy a .410 - albeit possibly not an expensive one, buy carts in quantity and have fun.  Life's too short.

18 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I love 410's but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now.

Why on earth not?

On 02/04/2024 at 19:34, BobbyH said:

Hi all!

Please don’t roll your eyes and think ’Another lead ban thread’, as a non government clued person, or upto date shooting guy…… I need it clarifying really from people in the know. Has it been introduced yet? When will find out? Do you think it will be introduced, and does it cover just over water as I have read?

Has BASC done over the shooting community?

Is CPSA involved??

I have seen so many different posts about it. Could anyone please put it into a really simple term? With actual facts/confirmation?

I have checked the other threads, but all have so many contradicting answers?

Our resident BASC spokesperson has just put up a new post regarding just this, in this very section 😉 

7 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

The simple TL:DR is:

People regularly conflate The Shooting Org's proposed voluntary 5 year transition away from lead, with the UK HSE consulting on banning lead.  

Sentences such as this don't help:

So, to be clear, we are about halfway through the voluntary transition, and the HSE is reviewing responses to a second consultation.  

No ban, or even proposed date for a ban exists yet.

The fact that some people argue that BASC and the other org's (admittedly dreadfully communicated) voluntary transition begat the ban, or whether it was an attempt to get ahead of any ban, is much debated on forums, but ultimately academic. Chicken/egg, post hoc ergo propter hoc, etc.

Zoom out a little, countries such as Denmark have phased out lead.  The EU is conducting a similar consultation to the UK HSE on banning lead, though at the European level they are more...susceptible to lobbying, shall we say, than the UK HSE is.

My advice, buy a .410 - albeit possibly not an expensive one, buy carts in quantity and have fun.  Life's too short.

Why on earth not?

Because they will be worthless when a Lead ban comes in and we are in the last year of the not so voluntary transition.

10 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Because they will be worthless when a Lead ban comes in and we are in the last year of the not so voluntary transition.

My the glass really is half empty for you isn't it?  Why not go the whole hog and just surrender your ticket as it'll be worthless when they ban shooting?

I don't look at my guns as some sort of capital assets, they are tools, and if a £150-odd .410 is worth £0 after an ill-advised ban, so be it.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

My the glass really is half empty for you isn't it?  Why not go the whole hog and just surrender your ticket as it'll be worthless when they ban shooting?

I don't look at my guns as some sort of capital assets, they are tools, and if a £150-odd .410 is worth £0 after an ill-advised ban, so be it.

He wasn't looking to spend £150, he was looking to buy a brand new gun.

but with a possible 5 year transition…..if I stock up on ammo, I could have 5 years worth of fun??

im a glass half full kinda guy, so just needed it explaining in a proper simple way. 

As said if you want one just get one. 

Plenty of decent second hand ones out there. 

Buy that hatsan .410 pump for £300 

Then send off the full extended choke to saddlery and gunroom  in Kent and get them to fit a silencer to it . Should cost you around £180 . Plus Rfd transfer  . Screw it on your barrel and enjoy silenced blissful  .410 shooting .

Life is too short