Adjustable comb

I have done  a few before, but used a scroll saw to cut out the comb piece. I was never happy, as the scroll saw was hard to keep in an accurate line. 

In a rush of blood to the head, I purchased a band saw yesterday, as I thought it would be easy. Tried the band saw today on some spare wood - great in a straight line, but useless for bends. I quickly realised that I needed a narrower blade. I thought I would crack on with the actual mechanism. I bought some aluminium flat bar 1" wide, 1/4" thick. I bought two different sized aluminium tube, which in theory should have slotted straight in. It didn't. A bit of gentle drilling sorted that.

After a bit of increasing the bore on the larger tube, I managed to cobble together one mechanism. I will fit it on one of my spare guns and have enough to do another three. After doing the sporter, I might just put one on my trap gun. 

Photo is where I am at the moment. I need a narrower blade to cut the comb

IMG_20240424_162444.jpg

I will post a photo of what i started with and then update.

My new blade for the bandsaw arrived today (1/4" with 32 teeth per inch), but with other commitments and a trip to Scotland, it will be a week or so before I progress.

I nearly finished a second comb mechanism, whilst awaiting the new blade.

No idea why photos are on their side. Photos show what i started with, the tape applied and comb marked out. Then the comb cut out. The removal of that piece left a void in the remaining stock. I will glue in a piece at the top to support the mechanism. Last time I used a broom handle - perfect fit. The moveable comb will also need some wood to bring it all level.

The bandsaw which was remarkably easy to use. Cutting took just over a minute.

Edited by Gordon R

Looking at the inside of the Laurona Sporter stock, I realised why I had never seen one with an adjustable comb. Looking down to the stock bolt, I thought that there would be a void of some sort - larger than I had previously encountered, but it will get sorted.

Tried the mechanism in the void, just needed a quick file with the finger sander. The void around the mechanism looked a bit daunting, but shaped a piece to use as a platform for the mechanism and epoxied it in place. Rock solid. The hollows in the comb were filled with wood inserts and some sawdust. These were bedded in with wood glue. Not fully set yet.

Just dropped the mechanism in to check fit. Waiting for epoxy to dry. 

Need to drill the comb to fit the bushes in and then install grub screws to control height. 

IMG_20240501_115802.jpg

IMG_20240501_141100.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

21 hours ago, Gordon R said:

No idea why photos are on their side.

It depend on the orientation of the phone when taking the pictures.

If you are holding the phone upright then pictures taken with be upright - Portrait.

If you hold the phone on it's side, like a "real camera", when taking a photo, then the photos will be  Landscape. 

Took 5mm off the pillars on the lathe. Fitted collars into the comb and screwed the mechanism down. First photo shows the wood platform in the stock. Looks messy, but strong enough. Just finished tapping the collars and inserted the grub screws. Nearly finished. just needs tidying up. Took the photo with the comb almost as high as it goes. It goes right to the bottom.

IMG_20240502_110457.jpg

IMG_20240502_172212.jpg

Edited by Gordon R