Little baby

Dougy

Saw this little Tawny owlet out this afternoon, hope poor soul survives. No sign of nest or any parents, im assuming it got out of its nest and only way was down, its unable to fly yet so just hope it manages to get back home. 

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, jall25 said:

I would not worry Dougy - see them like this every year 

They always seem so little but usually make it 

they do...and when he/she is an adult they will be waiting for your Pheasant poults to arrive in your release pen. :)

44 minutes ago, old'un said:

they do...and when he/she is an adult they will be waiting for your Pheasant poults to arrive in your release pen.

Tawny Owls certainly are a nuisance around release pens. They can kill a lot of poults.

5 hours ago, jall25 said:

I would not worry Dougy - see them like this every year 

They always seem so little but usually make it 

When I've seen them they've been low down making a racket, always lower than I expect 👍

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Tawny Owls certainly are a nuisance around release pens. They can kill a lot of poults.

Yes we have issues with them for sure - and when the partridges are in their pens you should see them swoop down and sit on the posts judging how to get in - they dont in there but can cause panic for the partridges 

The thing is the tawnys only ever seem to eat the heads ?

Posted (edited)

Well it won't be swooping on any pheasant poults on this perm.

I was out knocking a few squirrels out of the trees when I caught this in the cross hairs. 

As game shooting goes,  and we all bang on about conservation, we do this, and we do that. We all care about the countryside and are quick to jump on those that tar our lifestyle and quite rightly so, surly game shoots have to account for natural predation from BOP in the cost's if running shoots ? 

So basically accept the loss. 

Edited by Dougy
Spelling

49 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Well it won't be swooping on any pheasant poults on this perm.

I was out knocking a few squirrels out of the trees when I caught this in the cross hairs. 

As game shooting goes,  and we all bang on about conservation, we do this, and we do that. We all care about the countryside and are quick to jump on those that tar our lifestyle and quite rightly so, surly game shoots have to account for natural predation from BOP in the cost's if running shoots ? 

So basically accept the loss. 

That's ok if you are a biggish shoot and you can stand the loss but for the small walk/driven shoots with just a couple hundred birds down it can be disastrous when a Tawny is killing 10 or 15 a night, plus as Jail25 said they spook the birds and any outside the pen don't stay long in your wood.

But as you said its something we have to put up with.

On 07/05/2024 at 10:54, London Best said:

Strange you should say that , I've been on few different driven shoots (let days) over the years and there seemed to have be a fad for putting up owl nesting boxes up , this was in the late 90s early 20s in South Yorkshire , Linc's , Derbyshire, I've not noticed any recently but I don't do much game shooting these days . 

1 hour ago, dainty duck said:

Strange you should say that , I've been on few different driven shoots (let days) over the years and there seemed to have be a fad for putting up owl nesting boxes up , this was in the late 90s early 20s in South Yorkshire , Linc's , Derbyshire, I've not noticed any recently but I don't do much game shooting these days . 

Many shoots put up all sorts of nesting boxes, including for owls. 
But it is a well known fact that Tawnys will predate poults in a release pen. Usually eating the head and then killing another, and another. They are very persistent.

2 hours ago, dainty duck said:

Were they Kestrel, Barn owl boxes?

7 hours ago, old'un said:

Were they Kestrel, Barn owl boxes?

We put barn owl and kestrel boxes

We have issues with the buzzard - Gos - peregrine - spars - tawny and barn owls killings poults - but they are wonderful things to see.

The thing as i say with the owls is the death of the poults - just the head taken - seems such a waste.

I think having these raptors about though does really make you think about having a good pen - not overstocking it - so that cover is and remains available for the poults 

Losses have to be accepted because when you have a Gos about - even if i put the adult birds in flak jackets they would still get smashed 

In our pens we play the radio - put up and move daily flashing lights too - it all helps - i think

2 minutes ago, dainty duck said:

I was told they were owl boxes !

Usually Kestrel, Barn owl boxes are open fronted ‘A-frame’ or ‘tea-chest style’, Tawny owl needs a box with a hole, although they will on occasion nest in an open fronted box.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Usually Kestrel, Barn owl boxes are open fronted ‘A-frame’ or ‘tea-chest style’, Tawny owl needs a box with a hole, although they will on occasion nest in an open fronted box.

yes like a tea chest, there was one shoot I seem to remember some one talking about long eared owls .