Grilled Tandori &vedge

Now that looks nice and the photography is a lot better than your Beef Stroganoff, mind you it would be hard to make that look nice. :)

So what culinary delight have we got planned for the weekend? Have you tried the Kung-Po yet?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Now that looks nice and the photography is a lot better than your Beef Stroganoff, mind you it would be hard to make that look nice. :)

So what culinary delight have we got planned for the weekend? Have you tried the Kung-Po yet?

havnt gone down the hong kong phoy route yet.........ping meals for a couple of days...

22 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

Looks lovely. 
Did you tandoori it yourself or was it pre done 

i buy a premixed tandorri off the net....it is rough ground ....not a powder....there are no colour additives in it ....the pinky red is a type of chili/capsicun when powdered produces a vibrant colour.....when you spread the mix on a piece of white paper ...you can actually spot the different herbs and spices...

18 minutes ago, Gameking said:

Simon

can you please give me a link to the spice mix and I will give it a whirl .😁

TIA

when i got the 1/2kilo bag...i transfered all of it into big jam jars...so i aint got the bags anymore......so i aint got a clue

i think it was this .....as it is coarse ground

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-India-Tandoori-Masala-Powder/dp/B00JEHG7DY/ref=asc_df_B00JEHG7DY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310868945002&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4976918886065522768&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-683828425404&mcid=789538c75c223802b5b50c6503c816ff&th=1

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

I have used that one as well and like you transferred to Kilner jars.  It's good.  I have several "Old India" products and all have been good.

On 10/05/2024 at 22:05, ditchman said:

i buy a premixed tandorri off the net....it is rough ground ....not a powder....there are no colour additives in it

I would agree that ground Kashmiri chilliies do give a lovely red colour to curries. But, (if I may be so bold) I thought your mix a little vibrant. So checked their ingredient mix. Apparently it does indeed contain colour mix E129 Allura Red and E102 Lemon Yellow Azo dye. It seems voluntarily E129 is seldom used in UK due to suggested link between Allura Red and hyperactivity in children. So, maybe mixed outside UK. 

1 hour ago, Gameking said:

Simon

Many thanks, I have used Schwartz ready mix in the past and the results were edible but ordinary.

I will order some of that Old India .(Cor , sounds like the days of the Raj 🤣)

The only problem with the "Old India" stuff is that often the quantities are HUGE.  Looking back to see what I had ordered to confirm it was "Old India" brand I have, I see that it was 3/4 of a Kg when I ordered in 2020.  I have probably used about half to date, and even in airtight jars in a cool dark larder I doubt it will be as good now as when I got it.

Edited by JohnfromUK

John

Crikey, on reading your post I did not notice the 1kg quantity in Simon's link , would last an Indian takeaway a year or two I bet 🙄

and spices do degrade over time.

A re think maybe or group buy - PW Tandoori club 🤣😂

40 minutes ago, Gameking said:

John

Crikey, on reading your post I did not notice the 1kg quantity in Simon's link , would last an Indian takeaway a year or two I bet 🙄

and spices do degrade over time.

A re think maybe or group buy - PW Tandoori club 🤣😂

In fact, checking back it was 750g (changed post above), but still a lot - but change from £10 and it does last pretty well.  My tandoori chicken recipe uses 4 tablespoons each time, so a small supermarket jar goes nowhere!

im about half way thro mine and its nearly 2 years old and has not lost any of its taste............what i will say is this mix has very little hot chili in it....so its ideal for wives and girl friends....i always add a fair bit of chili to mine and when mixing it with greek natural yogurt and fresh lemon juice i add a fair bit of powder mix  more than surgested 

try it with grated lemon zest as well