GINGER/BLONDE RABBIT

been staying at my step mothers house since Wednesday (till Sunday) dog sitting as she's currently in Barcelona on my niece's spinster do/bash.

anyhoo,been out with the border collie early doors this morning and saw 3 foxes and this little fella.

i've seen absolutely masses of black ones in my time but never one like this.there must have been at least 20 normal colour ones in the same part of the fieldIMG_20240517_074811_HDR.jpg.704780dea9637ed6a9e9fd3bc0a3dc6d.jpg

Edited by Zoli 12 guage

I don’t think a ginger rabbit is particularly uncommon. 
We had some on one particular shoot with which I was involved in the 1980’s. 
On that shoot some of the badgers were ginger too. Erithristic badgers.

It is remarkable, however, they do occur. I ferreted and lamped over one area for probably thirty years that had this very type of blonde rabbit in small numbers and to all purposes they were a wild rabbit with the exact same attributes apart from the aberration of them being a super sandy blonde. They had no white striping on them.

I can only think this would have been from gene that came though every now and then, as I say they were over the same patch for all them years.

They bolted and ran as wilduns, skinned as wilduns and tasted as wilduns.

As others have posted, I also have had quite a few black wild rabbits over the years and strangely they were always bucks. Referred to as a "parson" in some parts of the country.

2 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

It is remarkable, however, they do occur. I ferreted and lamped over one area for probably thirty years that had this very type of blonde rabbit in small numbers and to all purposes they were a wild rabbit with the exact same attributes apart from the aberration of them being a super sandy blonde. They had no white striping on them.

I can only think this would have been from gene that came though every now and then, as I say they were over the same patch for all them years.

They bolted and ran as wilduns, skinned as wilduns and tasted as wilduns.

As others have posted, I also have had quite a few black wild rabbits over the years and strangely they were always bucks. Referred to as a "parson" in some parts of the country.

having spoken to a few people since this morning,there is a small population of the same type/colouring about 2 Kms away so if this one is alone it may have hopped (gerritt) the Wakefield to Barnsley bus😁😁😁