20 gauge fun

As title took the 20g out today on some barley there's small laid patches all over the field and the birds were landing anywhere and everywhere watched the flightline and picked a spot upwind at a small clump of trees with a pond in the middle just set the magnet up 15 yards from the hide in a small laid patch no decoys and worked a treat pulling birds right in I chose the 20g due to the birds being close in I  would of blown apart a lot of birds with the 12g  had to be selective in order to pick most of what I shot if it was a stubble field I could of took on the rangier birds and a lot passed wide at 50 yards i would of  ended with three figures but in 4 hrs had 78 on the clicker picked 70 exactly 

20240720_174815.jpg.6bab54ac8994059378b04f27a43f32f5.jpg

20240720_175406.jpg.df7c906cf1202edd1b037b687dcf2f3d.jpg

Edited by yickdaz

10 minutes ago, clangerman said:

good effort there 78 is tidy enough cost of 20b carts sees mine gathering dust 

I just bought a case of 12g clear pigeon at £99 (i feel ripped off at that price). 🤑 The last lot of 20g subs I bought were £386 a thou. They are all pretty expensive now. 

Very nice session with the 20g @yickdaz

On 21/07/2024 at 11:43, Wilts#Dave said:

Very well done, that’s a lovely number to shoot in four hours over a load crop. I favour a small bore over standing crops too, have used my 28 bore of late to great effect. 

Always fancied a 28 hauge but difficult getting hold of the cartridges around here  as well as the price 

2 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

Always fancied a 28 hauge but difficult getting hold of the cartridges around here  as well as the price 

I’m amazed at how well it kills, it’s a Beretta Silver Pigeon I bought. Light, barely any recoil and a joy to use on a busy day….hasn’t got the boom of a 12 bore which I like and doesn’t blow the birds about at closer ranges but yes the cartridges are pricey, £450 odd/thousand. Usually order in 1000 at a time but ran out recently and got some delivered from just cartridges which came next day! 
Used Dad’s Beretta 20 bore a lot over the years and just fancied one on a whim to see what they were like.