Help needed please , thanks in advance.

30-6

So I got a pard 007 sp lrf , but the target is grainy and not as clear as I thought it would be.

I got a new SF Hawke scope which gives me the best image, but my 3 older AO Hawke scopes are the worst.

The icons and reticules are very clear, but as stated the targets are grainy, and I'm talking about 25 - 50 - 75 yds.

With the experience of you guys, would you think it is the older scopes or the " budget " type IR torches I am using ? Won't be used too often, but would expect to see better targets, namely the couple of rabbits which seem to be around.

Also, what are the two 'o' rings and the smaller allen key supplied in the package for ? Can't see no mention in the manual.

Edit to add - how good are the onboard ir's, ? They don't seem to improve target quality. Should they reach out to 75 yds ? If so it must be the older scopes.

I have a mk 1 alpex on a .223, which works ok with my budget ir's , as did my good old photon.

Edited by 30-6

Have you adjusted the slide in/out focus adjustment on the Pard IR beam?
This will need adjusting for varying distances to the target.
I use a Pard 007 on an HW 77 springer and find the jump of the spring gun (I refuse to consider it as recoil!) moves the IR focus far enough over 2 or 3 shots to make the image grainy.

You will need to get an external IR for a 007 in my experience.  Even just out to air rifle range, the on board one, despite the beam cone adjustment ('focus'), struggles to put out a good picture with anything less than an expensive scope.  OFC, that depends on your definition of expensive, but if you're after .223 ranges for foxing, you need an external IR.

I've been looking at various YouTube channels on the Pard in my op, and not being as knowledgeable as most of the members on here am getting confused.

I understand LED illuminators, but had never heard of VCSEL illumination. Looking at some they are advertised as VCSEL but then mention LED in their description.

I am reluctant to spend a lot of cash as my time shooting is slowly getting less and less. So, would this be a good choice for the Pard, see below , bearing in mind to be used on rimfires up to 75 yds ish. Or can someone recommend an alternative VCSEL, I'm not after distance, I'm after clarity, a less grainy image.

Screenshot_20240918-192953.png

To be honest no. I didn't realise that you could, and of course it's raining now. I have ordered a VCSEL budget £50 it which after talking to supplier should help things.

When I have received and tried it I will report back, it might be useful information for others. I had never heard of VCSEL .

2 hours ago, 30-6 said:

To be honest no. I didn't realise that you could, and of course it's raining now. I have ordered a VCSEL budget £50 it which after talking to supplier should help things.

When I have received and tried it I will report back, it might be useful information for others. I had never heard of VCSEL .

I've had a more in depth look at that add on - it seems a daft idea to me that the IR position allows tall or even moderately high elevation turrets to block its beam from illuminating close up locations. Can we assume its not the mk2 version?

Edited by Dave-G

It is the Gen 2, external ir is fitted via a picatinny rail on top.

One thing I have noticed, don't know if it is a ploy to only be able to use their own brand batteries. My other brand batteries have a slightly larger diameter compared to the one that came with it , meaning they will not fit. Might try peeling off the outer to reduce diameter a little.

14 hours ago, 30-6 said:

It is the Gen 2, external ir is fitted via a picatinny rail on top.

One thing I have noticed, don't know if it is a ploy to only be able to use their own brand batteries. My other brand batteries have a slightly larger diameter compared to the one that came with it , meaning they will not fit. Might try peeling off the outer to reduce diameter a little.

You will need to handle and store them very carefully if you go that really inadvisable route. 18650 cells are highly combustible.

Few realise EV car batteries are made up of hundreds of 18650's and you may have seen the difficulty in extinguishing them. More recently we have seen the same battery type and technology used in the pagers that killed and injured so many in the middle Israel/Gaza/Lebanon conflict

• 2 weeks later...

The external led's work ok out to about 20 yds, while the VCSEL Lazer goes out to 75 yds, that is using the onboard LRF.

One thing I have noticed, the AO ( focus ) numbers on the scope are nowhere near the best picture. I have noticed this when using it as a normal day scope and using a handheld LRF.

I would imagine the picture of a rear add on would never be as good as a dedicated NV scope.