chokes?

nav54

I have a semi in that 1/2 seems to be good at every think . i have a side by side that has 3/4 and tru , the tru is defantly to open i think ok for close stuff but seems to open up quickly so the pattan at range may not get anoth shot in the pigeon . and in my over and under 1/2 and 3/4 , but 1/4 and 1/2 would be ok as well i think

After years of shooting with a 20g which was 1/4 & 1/2 I now use imp & 1/4 for everything in my 12g However i did shoot up on the Hereford Shropshire border (near Wigmore) the other week and wished I had swopped to something a little tighter on the first four drives, they were as high as anything I have ever seen and I know a lot were out of range. But for deepest Worcestershire game shooting, pigeons & clays, Imp & 1/4 will do me :stupid:

ft

PS Oddly I have found that 32g x 5's in Eley VIP's pattern much better through my gun with more choke instead of my normal ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1/4 in the auto for decoyed pigeons or roost shooting, 1/4 and 1/2 for most driven game or 1/2 and 3/4 for the high stuff.

IMHO - there's no need for excessively tight chokes - try shooting some DTL with skeet and skeet and no. 9s - you're be amazed at what range you can get consistently good kils.

In the AL391 auto I use Skeet for the decoyed pigeons. Decoys set out with closet and 20 yards and furthest at 40 yards and only shoot within these ranges.

Have tried various chokes on the auto but skeet at the ranges I use have given me a higher percentage of clean kills.

I think it comes down to confidence and success in whatever choke you decide to use.