Where do i start???

squintshot

Hi,

No, I am not working for Daystate or trying to promote their guns - FM. And that is not a joke.

If you read the things I wrote earlier in this thread you will see that I suggest several makers and not just Daystate. Since Squintshot did not put requirements on the board, like kdubya did, I have giving a good and large selection of pcp airgun to choose from.

The best thing Squintshot could do now was to pick some guns out and try them. And find the best one for him only. I do not tell people what specific gun they should buy if they don´t put up some requirements for it !!!

Nor should anybody else, in my opinion. The guy could end up with the wrong gun. In other words, what is good for one man may not be good for the next man. We are all different and so are our needs too.

Cheers - Bolta

Quite right Bolta..

Only having a laugh at your expense.. :)

Seriously though, by the same token I do not work for Theoben... I am just trying to advise Squint based on my experience of the top gun manufacturers in his price range without confusing him too much with multiple choices. After all if you want to buy a Jag dont bother going to a Ford garage and looking at their range of models!.. and in my opinion The Rapid 7 Mk2 fulfills all of his criteria in one gun.

Regards,

FM.

Dont bother with anything other than a .22 if you are using it for hunting .177 is best for FT use. It is a misconception that .22 guns are less accurate. I have used .177 for rabbit hunting ( Big mistake ) the pellet has not enough energy to kill cleanly 8 out of 10 times. ( OK guys tell me I am wrong)

F.M - I think people would dis-agree with your statement on that one.....

The accuracy from .22 and .177 is the same, The TRAJECTORY, as you know, is the greatest diffrence.

If you are in the position to have been potting beasties all your life, and are well used to the curved trajectory and range estimation, a .22 IS the tool of choise.

But for the rest of us mortals a .177 has no more than 2" variation from 15-40' it makes bowling over rabbits a whole lot easyer.

I'm sure you'll agree when shooting with air rifle:-

1. A brain shot is the only REAL way to ensure a clean kill.

2. The brain occupies only a small part of the skull - therefor effective pellet placement is very important.

3. ANY pellet, ANY caliber, quick expanding or passing straight through. WILL cause death when hitting the brain out to 45yrds.

I'm sure with the extra wieght/size of a .22 pellet the 'kill zone' is slightly larger, but I think the more predictable flight of the .177 more than makes up for this.

Once again, if you can hit a 1'' target at any chosen range, any day from your chosen shooting position, great.

I await your critical replys..... :) :( :oops:???

Dead-Eye

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Have narrowed down the search to a Theoben MFR, Logun MK 11 and the Daystate MK 3. I have used a friends Logun (just the once he's very protective) and liked it lots dut it's a bit close to the top end of my budget not leaving much for accessories, the other two seems to be very good guns and both nice looking, i know it's a bit shallow liking a gun for it's asthetics but I will try before I buy. Just need too then find a suitable scope and bi pod but again all advice has been taken on board.

Look out bunnies here i come!!!

I await your critical replys.....

I respect what you say Dead me old mate but based on 30 years field experience hunting rabbits with an air rifle I would only use a .22 calibre at 12Ftlb for hunting rabbit. I am sorry and ashamed to say that I have hit 100,s of rabbits in the bonce with .177 cal in the past and in 85% of the cases it has not killed cleanly, and that is a fact. In 15 to 20 % of the cases a .22 as not done so either. .177 calibre rifles are great at what they are best at and that is target.

I also try and avoid pellets which give over penetration as they can simply pass straight through fleshy parts of the bonce. A good whack on the boney party of the head with a.22 accupell or bisley pest control will stop a rabbit in its tracks as the impact energy is far greater than a pointed .177.

I cant see the difference between the skill involved in shooting a .22 at various ranges and that required to place a even smaller pellet in a single spot the size of a penny at 45 yds. I must also say that 45yds. is a bit ambitious for a head shot at a rabbit with a .177

I work in the construction industry and we have a well know saying which is very true in many walks of life. " Use the right tool for the right job" as far as I am concerned the .22 is the tool for bunny.

That said, if you are comfortable with a .177 in the field carry on using it. Personally I have never had as much success with it as with the .22.

Regards,

FM.

That said, if you are comfortable with a .177 in the field carry on using it. Personally I have never had as much success with it as with the .22.

:) I'm quite interested to hear this, I have noticed a stark trend TOWARD .177 in the field, in the last few years. and knowing you were a die-hard .22 man, I was interested in your responce.

When it comes down to it 40yrds is the outside max for .177 BRAIN shots.

As I say, If you are used to the curved trajectory, and can estime pellet drop, I have no doubt a .22 will stop much better.

Im sure if you connect with the brain, with any pellet, it will be lights out...?

I've read all the tec. stuff, which says if you can hit it in the right place, you'll kill it. For me it seems alot easyer with .177.

But I am genuinely interested in your, and other, thoughts on the matter.

I, as i'm sure we all, want to be using the "right tool for the job"

:(

I have had & witnesed problems with .177 my self in regards to head shots on rabbits i used to own a hw 77k in .177 which i could drop pigeons with head & side on C.O.M. shots with ease but when i was rabbit i must admit i had a few rabbits not die straight away from a head shot & they made it to their burrow & died in their much to my distress. I then swiched to a sheridan .20 prohunter rifle & the problems with head shots stoped the only problem then was getting a regular ammo supply for it i had to buy it in by the case which was rather costly for me so after a few years of using the .20 i sold it because it was to much hassel.

I then brought a hw80 in .22 & have had no problems with .22 for pigeon or rabbit.

As regards for head shots it should in all practical & theory kill quarry out right if you hit the brain in the right part but if you miss & hit a part of the brain that is non essential you could only injur your quarry, with a .177 pellet its size means less of a chance to hit the all inportant area of the brain when the pellet expands on contact, with a .22 you stand more of a chance of hitting both parts of the brain that you want due to the size that the pellet expands to almost twice the size of a .177 (please correct me if im wrong on that thanks.)

Hi dead-eye,

If you are asking me what cal. and power the "right tool for the job" should be I have to say a high power FAC airgun in .25. Yes, such a gun require a FAC but it will certainly take any quarry clean out.

Now, people will probably ask why that power then we can take our quarry with a sub 12 ft/lbs gun. Simply because these guns have a sharper edge than non-FAC guns - meaning they would in most cases kill your quarry more clean and instant than non-FAC guns ever will be able to do.

Some of these guns with the right pellet combination will act like an on/off switch which means, taking woodies down with no flapping what so ever, rabbits will make minimum "jumps", tree rats will bolt and so on...

Of course, for rats and other "not so tough" quarry a sub 12 ft/lbs gun will be the best choice. No doubt about that.

Just my thoughts about this subject.

Cheers - Bolta

d.e.d if i could have found a decent source of .20 then no wouldnt have changed to .22 i would have definatly changed the rifle though lol!!! you can only pump a sheridan so many times a day before you get completly worn out still it did help with building the old arm muscles lol. The only good advantage with that rifle was that i could vary the power of the rifle with the amount of pumps so it was a good ratting rifle as well as an excelent tool for fur & feather. I think that if & when I move back to Telford with the GF & i could find 1) a cheap decent rifle in .20 and 2) I could find a decent yet not to expensive place that was close by that sold .20 & wold not make me have to buy in by the case then i would purchase another .20 still the question would then turn to which .20 to buy lol :)

• 8 years later...

If I was in your position I'd go to your nearest gun shop and pick a few up, see how the fit and feel in your hands. Quite frankly you won't see much difference in quality or accuracy from any of the top brands and it will mainly come down to how much you like them and how they operate. As for caliber, well anything will do but as you are new to air rifles you'll find that .177 will be easier to use in the field as the flatter trajectory is more forgiving with rangefinding errors.

Hope you have a great wedding and you find the rifle you want.

Ps. If you want an FAC rifle in the future then buy an FAC one and don't convert a sub 12 one.