Wild Boar (young male)

Holland&Holland

On monday i was asked to try and shoot fallow deer or wild boar at a permission of a friend. At the moment we have loads of wild boar roaming the woods. Our hunting syndicate are awarded an extra hunting license of about 110 wild boar to cull (apart from the 1200 we shot already :lol: ). I sat at 4 oçlock in the afternoon in the forest at a feeding area where we feed some mais and corn to atract them. The feeding area is between two tiny "hills". Depending on the winddirection you sit on either one or the other. At 18.15 a couple of roedeer came by, female and calf. They where not to be shot (no licence given). Both of them walked off after 20 minutes. They walked in the direction of the spot i put my car in the woods (much further away). After 30 minutes or so they probably noticed the car because they came back running and "barking" a lot. That took them again 20 minutes or so to calm down.

At 19.15 again a "stepping" noise, because of the frost the leafs make a lot of noise when trotted upon. Took a look through the binoculars (by the way, very pleased with my new Swarovski 8,5 x 42, cost a lot :no: but are worth every penny :lol: ) yes wild boar. It was a single one. Then i had to figure out what type of wild boar it is, no females with piglets may be shot. Some sows have piglets right now, but if they are really small they leave them in a sort of den made out of branches. If you see tits, no go ! :no:

But this was probably a young male. Waited that i could see it better through the rifle scope with some help of the moonlight. Pulled the trigger and i was sure it was a hit. Boar took off though, up the other hill and down the other side. i could hear it hitting other trees and stuff. Always a good sign, because you know it is losing its focus and sense of direction and probaly is lethally hit. Waited 15 minutes and started to search for blood. Found the spot and lots of blood around. Followed the trail and after 45 meters found the boar dead.

Me a happy bunny off course :yp: .

Placement of the shot was OK, bit low on the shoulder. It turns out to weigh 53 kilo's without the guts. It is a male of 18 months old. You can tell by the teeth. The outher teeth are still his first, the others are the permanent ones.

Had to drag it out of the wood on my one, it was cold but after 200 meters dragging i felt pretty hot. :good:

post-3027-1198053013.jpg

post-3027-1198053079.jpg

post-3027-1198053096.jpg

For the whole of the area where wild boar live, about 4000 have to be culled. Our regional hunting syndicate has been awarded the highest culling number because in the area we shoot/hunt there is the right habitat for wild boar and (for dutch standards) less disturbance by people (mostly recreational).

Every year it is monitored how many wild boar are present. This year there where a lot because of the abundance of nuts from oak and beach(??not the sealikeside :yp: ), and therefore loads of offspring.

But it is difficult to cull them because of their behaviour (wander/eat mostly at night), good smell and hearing. Some people sit all week (exept sundays because we are not allowed to shoot or hunt then out of religious reasons :good: ) from 18.oo till 24.00 or even later at night and shoot 1 boar a week.

Best months to shoot wild boar are july-august and january-march. The first two because the piglets do not fear humans as much (not shot at yet) and the later two because they search for food and come to the feeding area's.

Another good read and pics keep them coming.Next year me and a mate are hoping to go to belgium boar shooting.The vet where i work lives in belgium,his cousin works for the forestry commission and is going to take us boar shooting,in return he is coming over here to do a bit of stalking,lamping and a days pheasant shooting.Is there a minimum size rifle and bullet you have to use to shoot boar.I shoot .243 and my mate shoots .308

@ Rob G I would personally not use a .243 on wild boar. In winter the boar are extra though because of the large amount of fat. Then you need a bigger caliber rifle. i know that by law you cannot use a .243 on wild boar in the Netherlands, just doesn't have the amount of energy left.

I use a .308 myself, for wild boar i use a Sako super hammerhead 11,7 g softpoint 180 grs. Good ammo and not too expensive. Never lost an animal.

And Pedro, yes they are tasty, but do not accept a old male "keiler", they taste really bad because of the hormonlevel.

@Stuart p please note that it is not always allowed to use shotguns and slugs on big game in Germany and Belgium. It is totally forbidden to use slugs in shotguns in the Netherlands. And if used fire not over 50-60 meters because of accuracy and energy. I am not a big supporter on using slugs, they make very big holes :lol: :lol: and damage the meat. (but are very effective when used properly)

Thanks for the info H&H :lol: that is handy to know.

When we booked our trip (Croatia), I asked about shotguns, and they said if you have rifles bring them, but if you don't have one bring your shotgun.

Ironically the bigest pig of the week was shot by a lad with a borrowed shotgun, and he was the most hungover person I have ever seen that morning :lol: