Starlings

Browning

This year seems to have seen a much larger population of Starlings in my corner of Oxfordshire, and about

500 of the greasy, smelly, noisy little &£^£%"$! have taken it upon themselves to roost in two large fir trees

next to our bedroom window.

Apart from ******** everywhere and making a right royal racket from first light every day, they have

cleared our garden of all "nice" birds.

Bearing in mind we live in a nice quiet village, and have neighbours to think of, does anyone have any ideas on encouraging them to "relocate"?

This year seems to have seen a much larger population of Starlings in my corner of Oxfordshire, and about

500 of the greasy, smelly, noisy little &£^£%"$! have taken it upon themselves to roost in two large fir trees

Apart from ******** everywhere and making a right royal racket from first light every day, they have

Bearing in mind we live in a nice quiet village, and have neighbours to think of, does anyone have any ideas on encouraging them to "relocate"?

get a cat trust me they'll ****** off with a cat lurking around your yard.

A plastic hawk hanging from a pole?

They have been off the general license for a number of years cos numbers have declined. Back with a vengeance now. I keep getting asked to shoot them at farms as they keep fouling animal feed and causing illness in the stock.

Guest The Outlaw

Wrap you trees in greenhouse netting then they cant roost so easy.

Failing that cut the the trees down, as usual we are trying to rid ourselves of aliens from Asia :oops:

Tony

try and kill a couple of them then hang em up in the trees that they are roosting in.

Starlings were taken OFF the general license and as far as I am aware are STILL off the general license so unless you have a licence from DEFRA i think it'as actually classed as illegal to kill them. If I am wrong then no doubt the lads will put me right but better to air on the side of caution

Netting or cutting the tree are better ways forward than resorting to killing them.

try and kill a couple of them then hang em up in the trees that they are roosting in.

Starlings were taken OFF the general license and as far as I am aware are STILL off the general license so unless you have a licence from DEFRA i think it'as actually classed as illegal to kill them. If I am wrong then no doubt the lads will put me right but better to air on the side of caution

Netting or cutting the tree are better ways forward than resorting to killing them.

it isnt illgal in scotland :oops:

Lew

it isnt illgal in scotland :good:

Lew

I realise Scotland is now a Devolved DEFRA area BUT Browning lives in OXFORD and falls under UK legislation hence the warning :oops:

Again I point ENGLISH members to the General Licence and the fact Starlings are NOT ON there. Shooting of Starlings CAN lead to prosecution if you do not stick to the rules of the General License

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...gen-licence.htm

I'd hang a half rope of crow bangers in the tree at dusk for a few days in a row, that should annoy them enough for them to ****** off somewhere else. If you let your close neighbours know what's going on then they can ignore the bangs I'm sure :/

I'd be in the nick in no time; my neighbours, left, right and rear are all 'bird lovers'*. The new one is gonna 'feed the woodies to death' by the looks of it! I bet I'll get the blame.

*Edited for Ferret Master: They are the worst type of bird lovers. They feed magpies and attract squirrels. There are no songbirds in our gardens. Like your Gran, I would love to see tits and the like in my garden.

You can have bird lovers and shooters though. :/ My Gran has several large seed and nut feeders that are emptied daily by blue tits, great tits, coal tits, willow tits, long tailed tits, greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches, bullfinches, nuthatches, greater spotted woodpeckers as well as many more smaller birds. I counted all the afore mentioned species during a 10 minute stakeout for a squirrel that was pillaging the peanuts. There are also over a dozen pheasants getting fat under the feeders as well as plenty of woodpigeon, magpies and rabbits which are all fair game. :lol: Infact I think the pheasants will be perfect in about a week. :/

FM :lol:

The only way you can legally shoot them that I know of is on or in the vicinity of an airport on the instruction of either the manager or the ministry of defence for the purposes of preserving air safety.

Natural England issue a general license for this purpose which includes:

Canada goose

crow

greater and lesser black backed gulls

herring gull

mallard

feral pigeon

rook

starling

woodpigeon

Within the perimter of the aerodrome you can also be instructed to kill and destroy nests of

collared dove

blackheaded gull#

common gull

jackdaw

lapwing

magpie

You can also kill feral pigeons using night or artificial lights and use traps to catch certain species.

PERSONS RELYING ON THIS LICENSE MUST BE SATISFIED THAT NONLETHAL METHODS OF RESOLVING THE PROBLEM AER EITHER INNEFECTIVE OR IMPRACTICABLE.

There are a number of other terms and conditions and if you are going to follow this route up, you can find the complete license on the Natural England/Defra website

You still cant use lead shot on geese for instance