Bipods

njc110381

I've been looking into getting a bipod on my HMR, but the Harris ones are stupidly expensive (a couple of bits of metal and a spring=£70+, yeah right!). Are there any other makes that are ok? I understand you get what you pay for, but I'm not too happy about spending that much! I'm after a 9-13" size.

I have two spare ones - one short, one long. Bought off fleabay as part of a large drunken late night order - laser sights, whacky scopes, super bright LED "tactical" torch, weaver rails etc.

I'll try and get some piccies together, but they ain't that bad at all.

One of my many ebay strange purchases was a massive Chuppa Chup vending machine and a couple of thousand lollies - a short story shorter, it involved drink and a late night on ebay.

I got a delivery of 70 odd DVD's and 30 odd CD's, a mouse, new keyboard and 13 books one Thursday at work a few years back. Took me a little by surprise having no memory whatsoever of ordering any of it, a word of warning Mr Mungler of the evils of one click amazon ordering and too much falling down water :blush: £1700 ish as I remember it, Mrs wasn't too happy.

Edited by pin

I have a couple of Harris's and they are without doubt the best.

I also have one of those Stoney Point Polecats as well.

When I first saw it I admit I thought 'OMG' what is that, its made of rubber and looks all wobbly.

I took it to Scotland in November (with the Harris back at base in case I didn't get on with it) and couldn't have had a worse baptism of fire with it.

170 yard shot in the wind laying on a 45 degree angled bank - the hind and calf both looking straight us so there was no way we could have got nearer.

The bipod steadied the gun a treat, and both shots were taken.

The big advantage to the Polecat in that environment is it can be stuck in you jacket pocket and does just clip on in seconds, AND it weighs nothing compared to a Harris, which is huge bonus when lugging up/down hills for hours on end.

Horses for courses.

More replies that I expected, thanks guys! So the general outlook seems to suggest I'm a tight-*** and need to spend some money. I guess I can live with that! Looking at the offers of second hand ones, how important is the swivel? Surely if you adjust one leg longer than the other on a fixed one it will do the same job? Or do they turn too?

Tulkyuk, PM me with a price if you think yours is suitable for my needs.

Mungler, are the short/long ones adjustable or fixed? I want it for prone shooting grazed pasture, so I guess they don't need to be too long right?

I really have no idea what I need exactly, so advice on the pros & cons of swivel/non swivel would be good.

Cheers, Neil

nic I'd say that possibly the 6-9" is the better size, the 9-13 is just not quite the right height for lying prone, hence you see quite so many advertised second hand. I think the sportsman centre has them at about £48 or there abouts. Much better than the rockmount copy

nic I'd say that possibly the 6-9" is the better size, the 9-13 is just not quite the right height for lying prone, hence you see quite so many advertised second hand. I think the sportsman centre has them at about £48 or there abouts. Much better than the rockmount copy

the 6-9" are more for bench rest Alex

Harris 9-13 swivel is the perfect piece of kit for your needs, as others have said "you buy cheap you buy twice".

Bite the bullet and shell out for one :lol:

The fixed ones are o.k, I have used one for sitting shots which was 12-25 but if you want to adjust your POA you have physically lift your whole set up where with the swivel you can just tilt the rife into position.

Swivel harris bipods are the bees knees far better than the fixed version if your after a fox for example and lie down prone and happen to be on a slight incline the swivel bipod just simply tilts over (can be stiffened to suit you own preference) with the fixed you have to start clicking away making noise ect to get the rifle level a fox aint going to sit and wait 'till your finished fiddling with the bipods :lol::lol:

Bottom line is dont be tight ***** and go for the 9-13 swivel :lol: