Swarovski or Zeiss

sambo

Hi,

Im after buying a scope for a Tikka T3 Lite .243 but not sure which scope to go for I've heard good things about both these makes but is one better than the other? also I have been told to just go for a basic 8x56 magnification so there is less time spent messing around with the magnification. what are you veiws on this? this will mainly be used for lamping foxes but with some deer stalking

Thanks

Sam

_____

I differ from many, but I require far more magnification from a foxing scope. Foxes are small targets, with a kill zone only about 4" deep. A crosshair covering maybe 2" at 200 yards is no use to me.

My favourite pure foxing scope is my 6-24x50 Swarovski, my favourite dual purpose scopes are 6-18 Swarovskis. I have no use for a fixed 8x scope.

My money is on the majority of replies to this post recommending you the Schmidt & Bender 8x56 (probably with a 30mm tube).

Nope sorry - i'm with sako7mm on this one, variable mag is better for the longe range shots

Also have you had a look at leupold scopes, just as good as all three mentioned and if you buy from the states you will pay half the price

I have an 8 x 56 on top of my foxing set up and i find with fixed magnification that it is easier to range find once you get used to the sight picture. when i have used variable mag scopes i find that i am always wondering what magnification it is set on and i am not 100% concentrated on takin the shot. I have shot a few foxes at 300 yards with this scope with not much problem at all (the last one being at 297 good sized paces and in the head)

If anyone wants to shoot further than 300 yards at night then good luck to them because personally i would rather not.

If you feel it responsible to shoot at a target the size of a foxes head at 300 yards with a reticule obscuring almost 3" at that distance, I'll leave it with you.

I always know what magnification my scopes are on as they're always on the maximum unless I'm stalking in woodland, where a close shot is likely.

My opinion is that more magnification allows for far more precise bullet placement.

I don't like the Nightforce scopes- I feel they are extremely over priced and am not impressed with the clarity of their optics.

Just had a look at nightforce scopes what do you all think of them I like the look of the 8-32x56 I know its a lot of cash but no point in buying some thing that isnt up to the job

As Tulky has mentioned - I too would go for a variable mag scope :lol: Nightforce and IOR are probably about as good as you can buy, however it's not a case of 'no point in buying some thing that isnt up to the job' - most will do the job, it just depends on how well. Some do the job better than others. However, whilst the difference between a £150 and a £400-£600 scope is quite noticeable the difference between a £400-£600 scope and a £1500 scope isn't so great. The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not it's worth spending the extra for the smaller benefit :lol: IMO it isn't (unless you have a REAL scope/money problem! :lol:).

A general rule of thumb is spend approximately the same on your scope as your rifle. If it was my money I would have spent a touch more on the rifle and a touch less on the scope. Due to the excellent £ to $ ratio at present the Leupolds are the best value for money at the moment - by far IMO. :good: They are an excellent scope, fantastic lifetime garantee from a quality manufacturer.

8x56 for me

(used to have a 4.5-14 but too much fiddling with zoom & parralax for me especially at night)

I have the heavy No 4 reticle too and love it for lamping.

I'm nailing them upto 150 'ish yards and that works for me, calling, baiting, sitting up etc

If you don't like what you buy just sell it (quality holds a good value) or do what I did & upgrade the rimfire scope :lol:

Happy hunting

AndyCM

Got one of these and it stays on 12 all the time day and night .

To say im happy with it is an understatment :lol:

The No1 in its performance class. The extremely compact, lightweight Victory Diavari 3-12x56 T* is a riflescope of superlative standard for the most varied hunting situations. Due to its excellent twilight performance even when the last light is fading.

i have a schmidt and bender fixed 8x56 with a 30mm tube its a good all round scope i do alot of stalking in scotland and its ideal for woodland stalking as a quick shot is often needed for roe so there is no messing about with the magnification it is also at home on the hill, the lenses are good quality and affordable compared with zeiss or swarovski i highly recomend them

Guest Mr Pieman

Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50, illuminated reticule, 30mm tube. I have two - one on my deer rifle (6.5x55) and one on my bunny gun (.22rf). I don't change the magnification that often, and it usually sits on 8. Once you get over x12 magnification, your slightest movement appears as a big shake in the cross-hairs, which can be very unnerving!!

Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50, illuminated reticule, 30mm tube. I have two - one on my deer rifle (6.5x55) and one on my bunny gun (.22rf). I don't change the magnification that often, and it usually sits on 8. Once you get over x12 magnification, your slightest movement appears as a big shake in the cross-hairs, which can be very unnerving!!

High magnification doesn't increase slight movements- it just shows how big those movements really are!

It is not necessary to "mess around" with a variable scope.

When you're stalking and can't get any closer than say 180 yards due to open ground or whatever, it is great to lie there - scope up - paralax adjust - then shoot. At 180 yards the deer aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

If you are in thick cover and come across an animal close up with a fixed 8 mag - all you will see ifs fur.

Paralax really only kicks in at higher magnification - if you need it - then you will have time to adjust paralax too.

I would go for a variabel scope, but do you want top of the range in brand?

If you are hunting at night, without the use of a lamp or night vision like me on wild boar, best is a top quality scope like Swarovski, Zeiss or S&B 2,5-10X56. So a lot of light gets into youre eye (if you are below the age of 40, because 56 / 8 = 7 most optimum for youre eye). If you hunt mostly around dusk or dark weather conditions i would go for the same option.

If you only use it during the day, and at night with the use of a lamp, you can do with a "lesser" scope in brand (Meopta, Kaps, Leopold) and save some money. Especially the Meopta's are good value for money. A lot of hunters i know bought them and are well pleased.

I use a (second hand) Schmidt and Bender 2,5-10x56 on my .308 and i like it a lot, just a shame it doesn't have a red dot. Mind you, if i had the money for a Swarovski i would be one. :blink:

I have fixed mag on my .22 as that is all it needs, I don't need to watch the fleas on a rabbit before I shoot it :blink: a quality image is more important to me than ***** and dials

I own 2 variables but only really adjust the mag for the purpose, i.e range shooting I will up it a bit, but then for stalking I would drop it down to 7x and then woodland 6 or 5x. I ceratinly wouldn't fiddle about with it when about to take a shot.

I have said it before, but I think we have all become high mag obsessed - eat more carrrots :yes:

As for makes, you won't go wrong with any of the top 3 - Zeiss, Swaro or S&B, BUT try before you buy.