Mid fifty(ish) male novice shooter, GSOH WLTM...

petethegeek

...well anyone really.

A couple of months ago my wife bought me a gift voucher for the local shooting ground and the resultant decline into compulsive addiction will, I am sure, be familiar to many here.

I have subsequently had half a dozen lessons with an instructor, experienced - albeit all too infrequently - the exhilaration of watching a black dot disappear in a small cloud of smoke, applied for my SGC and entertained the local friendly FLO to a cup of tea and a chat.

What I am looking for at the moment, while I wait for the postman to request my autograph, is the opportunity to accompany some more knowledgeable and experienced shooters in order to start learning the ropes in a slightly less formal setting. In return I would be happy to tote bags, equipment etc. and provide complimentary/congratulatory/consoling comments as appropriate.

I live just to the south of Worcester and would appreciate any/all offers/suggestions.

Regards,

Pete

PS Congratulations on a terrific forum. It's a fantastic information resource, contributed to by friendly people happy to share their knowledge and experience. A bit different from some of the technical boards I subscribe to professionally.

...well anyone really.

A couple of months ago my wife bought me a gift voucher for the local shooting ground and the resultant decline into compulsive addiction will, I am sure, be familiar to many here.

I have subsequently had half a dozen lessons with an instructor, experienced - albeit all too infrequently - the exhilaration of watching a black dot disappear in a small cloud of smoke, applied for my SGC and entertained the local friendly FLO to a cup of tea and a chat.

What I am looking for at the moment, while I wait for the postman to request my autograph, is the opportunity to accompany some more knowledgeable and experienced shooters in order to start learning the ropes in a slightly less formal setting. In return I would be happy to tote bags, equipment etc. and provide complimentary/congratulatory/consoling comments as appropriate.

I live just to the south of Worcester and would appreciate any/all offers/suggestions.

Regards, Oooer, wrong tactic there Pete,to say you would come around with a shooter and / congratulate/ console/ said shooter is the best way to oblivion.to shooting with a clay shooter who has done a bit and then make those kind of comments is to make your first few months a solitary existance. :blink:

Regards, Oooer, wrong tactic there Pete,to say you would come around with a shooter and / congratulate/ console/ said shooter is the best way to oblivion.to shooting with a clay shooter who has done a bit and then make those kind of comments is to make your first few months a solitary existance. :blink:

Eh??

I think he's pitched that perfectly actually, at least he's offering assistance in return which is more than most!

If I was closer I'd help!

Regards, Oooer, wrong tactic there Pete,to say you would come around with a shooter and / congratulate/ console/ said shooter is the best way to oblivion.to shooting with a clay shooter who has done a bit and then make those kind of comments is to make your first few months a solitary existance. :lol:

Eh??

I think he's pitched that perfectly actually, at least he's offering assistance in return which is more than most!

Yes your probally right Pin, I was responding to his request for help/suggestions, perhaps if he had said he would just come and learn I would have replied in a different vein, you know I allways say the wrong thing,Oops. :blink: :good:

Edited by berettaman1

Regards, Oooer, wrong tactic there Pete,to say you would come around with a shooter and / congratulate/ console/ said shooter is the best way to oblivion.to shooting with a clay shooter who has done a bit and then make those kind of comments is to make your first few months a solitary existance. :lol:

Eh??

Yes your probally right Pin, I was responding to his request for help/suggestions, perhaps if he had said he would just come and learn I would have replied in a different vein, you know I allways say the wrong thing,Oops. :blink: :good:

My apologies if I appeared presumptive.

Maybe I should have put a smiley in there and added that I can definitely do admiring silence as well.

I am most certainly not offering to provide instructional advice, merely seeking practical guidance on what currently appears a slightly bewildering but potentially enjoyable and challenging experience, or to put it another way - asking if I can come along and learn.

Regards,

Pete

PS Thanks to all the above who have replied so far.

As said, no need to appologise Pete. Your original post was perfectly worded. Welcome to the forum. I know where you are coming from, I was lucky in that I had a bit of experience before I started, I had a shot a bit when a teenager, but only lessons and the odd pop at a shoot or 2, never shot a full round or anything. I was lucky as my dad came with me on my first outing and helped me to get a feel for protocol so to speak. Helped massively, and a few days later I toddled off to a local shoot by myself.

Sure you will find someone on here to take you round a few shoots and get rid of the daunting feeling. Heck, if you dont mind the drive I would love someone to give me a hand lugging kit around. Not even the wife will do that!

Guessing you work with computers. What did you do wrong in your previous life? I am still trying to figure out what I did.

Guessing you work with computers. What did you do wrong in your previous life? I am still trying to figure out what I did.

I come home some evenings and wonder just how sadistic and evil I must have been in a previous life to deserve a day like that, I know where you are coming from :blink: I'd have got out a long time ago but IT is almost impossible to get out of once your in it :good:

Hi Pete,

Not to far from me by the sound of it , If you fancy joining my son and I on a few trips to clay grounds your most welcome . Like your self no experts been at it about nine months but still learning . PM me your contact number if you do and maybe we can arrange something .

:blink: John

:good:

it can be a bit daunting when you first start, especially if your on your own.

your there standing there next to someone who is hitting everything to your 5 or so it can feel a bit intimidating but just concentrate on your own shooting and you'll get there in the end, just keep at it :oops:

• 2 weeks later...