heavier shells ?

digger

last time i went out i hit several birds that flew on after being hit.i know i hit them as they trailed feathers and/or checked in flight.i currently shoot 32g 6s but have been considering moving up to 34 or 36g 5s.none of the shots were at over usual range i.e. 35 yards

all advice appreciated

I shoot 30 g No7,s and don,t have any problems with half hit birds {I do miss a few though :lol: ).

Perhaps you are hitting them behind, caused by not enough lead, that usually produces feathers.

Alternatively, drop down to No7,s see if it makes any difference.

34g loads seem a bit heavy, but I,m sure somebody that uses Alphamax 3,s will post some advice. :lol:

I don't think the cartridges are at fault and have to agree with Cranfield in that it is likely that you are hitting them behind.

I have had spells just as you describe and have bought heavier loads but always end up coming back to my 30 gram 6's, which i am doing well with at the moment.

thanks gents.i use a semi auto so recoil isnt a problem.

will shoot a hundred at clays on sunday then decide.

will also try more lead on the real thing and see if that helps.

chose to blame the cartridges instead of my shooting :*)

I usually use 28g loads and they are quite capable of hitting pigeons or crows at distance (in my estimation, the kind of height they circle above the tall trees at). I sometimes find I have a load of 7s or 8s in my bag left over from clay shooting, and whilst I admit they aren't ideal, they do bring birds down no problem.

Distance? well that is subjective.

I suggest if you are concerned you are not hitting them, try shooting at a target and checking your pellet pattern. Try it at different distances.

30g suffice for the majority of shooters, and so you might find there is something at falut in your technique, or in the fit of your gun.

The only thing you are going to get with heavier loads what you don't get with 28 or 30g is a sore shoulder!

no they give a fair distance.. crows at a long distance flying over infront or anywhere and you'll hit.. just bought 30g 6's so i'll have to see what there like aswell.. found 34g hurts shoulder after a while..

btw.. ive got the 30g 6's for crows and pigeons.

Aled

PShuter, I,m not sure Deako was specifically referring to Hammerguns post, when he commented.

Even tall English trees rarely get to 210 ft (70 yards), that has been claimed as a killing distance on here lately.

It is completely irresponsible to shoot at any living target, at a range that does not ensure a clean kill.

It is also our responsibility to use the correct weapons and cartridges.

No.8 shot, is not sold as a live pigeon load.

Now all the idiots that use .410,s with No9 shot and kill pigeons at 100 yards, post away. :lol:

Also Deako is not only an ex Pigeon Guide of some repute, but is known to be an excellent driven game shot.

In his profession he is a firearms expert and a marksman.

Whilst I don,t always see eye to eye with him, you cannot criticise his shooting credentials.

Now fire back if you want, but I am now off to Gatwick to catch a plane to Ireland.

Where I will be fishing out of Clew Bay, Co Mayo for the next week, in pursuit of the common skate and other piscatorial creatures. :lol:

I have to agree with deako and cranfield. I honestly don't think size 8 should be used on anything other than clays, or perhaps driven snipe if you are lucky enough to have that opportunity.

I stated already I use size 6 for pigeon but I actually downsize to 5 for crows. There is nothing worse than what I find when with size 7, and hence not using it anymore, and that is "hoppers". I use 5's for rabbits and crows and 6s for everything else.

One of the worst things about a forum is that people can make these "claims" of consistently pulling off 60yard ++++ shots, knowing full well they may never have to back it up and hence come up a cropper. Fortunately it's not too difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff here :lol:

i was using 6 shot for crows mainly because i allways have done then a mate rcommended 7.5 (probably because he could see i am not quite george digweed)

i deffently hit more birds but killed a good few less than with the 6's. lesson learned.

plinker

yes eugene.. Black Blacked Gulls, Greater and Lesser. and also the odd Herring on the rape.

i dont do a lot of shooting at gulls unless a G.B.B.G is on a dead sheep then i do decoying with the carcase.. there was only 2families but its reduced to 1.

these birds are absolutely destructive.

Aled

I admit that "how tall is a tree?" is a bit lilke "how long's a piece of string?"

The trees where I shoot are not particularly high compared to the height, for example, of an ancient oak tree.

No, I am not generally in the habit of using 8's, but there are times when I have found them still in my pockets from clay shooting.

I would never take a "long" shot where there was a very high chance of wounding as that is completely wrong, but if they are close enough, an 8 can do a lot of damage.

The old farmer I used to work for as a teenager would to always shoot herring gulls from the back of the tractor when he was ploughing. He used to think they were worse than crows.