Sniper shot from Saving Private Ryan

scallopdiver

My mate and i were out on sat night and came across this chap having a kip.It was blowing a gale and the mate had to put all his wieght onto the gate i was leaning on to give me a steady shot,i got the fox in the scope and held the crosshairs over his head until i was ready then slowly dropped down and as soon as they touched the top of his head i squeezed the trigger.

A nice whack and some pink mist and down he goes,range was about 90yrds.

This is the third fox i have shot in the same field and they have all been caught having a kip,must be a favorite spot for a doze!

Bullet was a 50grn v-max over 21grns of n130

Hope the photo appears,this is my first attempt

post-8840-1202340118.jpg

I to went out last Saturday at 1400hrs and spotted a fox lying on top of a ant hill fast asleep in the sun at about 1420hrs i managed to sneek upto it within 70yds and i shot it with my .17hmr 20gn, straight between the eyes and it never even flinched, wish they were all as easy as that as i have hundreds of the dam things where i shoot.

Verminer

Ok so you found your mark, but an inch or so lower due to your mate shifting and the gate moving would have resulted in one maimed fox with its jaw shot away, sorry but not good practice, You will say Im a killjoy but thats how I feel, I have shot countless Foxes and this is a shot I wouldnt have taken.

If you cant get a positive killing zone shot then leave it for another day, its not worth the risk of wounding and maiming.

:lol: D2D

Good humaine shot scallop ??? Nice rifle how do you find its accuracy-does it group well?

Also what cal is she??

Mark

Its a .222 and if i do my part it will turn in one hole groups at 100yrds with certain loads-50grn v-max being the favorite so far.

I am well pleased with this rifle its only drawback being it did not come threaded for a mod :good: but i am going to put this right shortly ???

thanks for the comments guys. :lol:

D2D,dry yer eyes mate. :lol:

08Shooter,man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth waits long long time-absolute classic that still makes me laugh :lol:

Dont be so patronising, as I said you took a shot from an unsteady rest,the gate being leant on by your mate,it could have had disasterous consequenses leaving the animal with its jaw shot away had the gate moved and your round placement been 1" lower. Head shots are fine but not from the rest you described.

You cant beat experience and I stand by my criticism of your foolhardy action, end of.

I Unfortunately am with D2D it was blowing a gale and from an unsteady rest and you went for a head shot. Thats got all the components of a wounded not killed fox. But hey who are we to say after all a fox with no jaw would still be a dead fox eventually

thanks for the comments guys. ;)

D2D,dry yer eyes mate. :good:

08Shooter,man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth waits long long time-absolute classic that still makes me laugh :lol:

Dont be so patronising, as I said you took a shot from an unsteady rest,the gate being leant on by your mate,it could have had disasterous consequenses leaving the animal with its jaw shot away had the gate moved and your round placement been 1" lower. Head shots are fine but not from the rest you described.

You cant beat experience and I stand by my criticism of your foolhardy action, end of.

Foolhardy action?I think you may be the one who is being patronising!I was quite confident of hitting the fox somewhere in the head or i would not have shot,its head was all i could see because it was sitting in a silage field.My experience spans some twenty years AND MANY MANY FOXES so dont talk to me like i am a novice,it was a fox i was shooting at not a hostage taker,and i knew when i squeezed the trigger that reynard was going no further.

Anyway thanks for taking such an interest :lol: