Shaggy's Weekly Round Up

ShaggyRS6

Shaggy's Weekly Round Up -

I was bored on the train and thought I would give a go to writing a weekly round up of mainly tech news, but anything else that tickles my fancy into a weekly news round up. If no one likes it I wont do it again :lol:

Apple recently up rated the storage capacity of both the iPhone and the iPod Touch, they can now be purchased i32GB and 16GB sizes respectively. www.apple.com for more info.

If you use Quicktime to la movies and music on your MAC or Windoze PC you will be pleased to know that they have released a security update that fixes a few exploits. www.quicktime.com

Did you know that the production of Lego bricks is so accurate that only 18 out of 1 million Lego elements produced is considered defective. It’s an astonishing number, considering that 15 billion Lego components are made every year. Have a read http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/11/11...go/index_01.htm

Do you use Torrents? If so you might like Speedpeer. It ensues you download quality torrents by verifying what you want to download before you begin. This little app will save you downloading a GB worth of cack. http://lifehacker.com/353367/avoid-downloa...s-with-seedpeer

Ever wondered what the top 10 DIY home projects are? Well in my house there is not a top 10, or even a top 5, but, some people like a bit of DIY. Have a look http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full...y-home-projects

A Guide to setting up your HDTV to get more out of it ca be found here http://lifehacker.com/352870/improve-your-hdtv-experience

TheJobBored career blog suggests 15 kinds of documents anyone with a career should keep copies of for themselves—and, preferably, in one place, as a kind of "Personal Personnel File." Many of us might already have a box of "Important Files," but having copies of the papers they keep locked away at the office can prevent misunderstandings, help you prepare for salary negotiations, and possibly make your next job easier to snag. Amongst the less-likely items you should try to get copied:

* Anything legal you sign at work. Such as: a noncompete agreement; a confidentiality agreement; an agreement relating to a company-provided property such as a car or a cell phone or a laptop; liability waivers; etc.

* Any formal proposals/memos/agreements you make with or submit to your employer. For example, a raise request, the proposal to create a new position/project or even a proposal to work from home.

* Termination documents from previous jobs. If only to prove/explain the circumstances of your leaving a previous position, these are good things to keep copies of.

Coming to an Airport Near You: Nemorelaxer.

See here for more info http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/02/05/coming_to...t_near_you.html

Floating Chair Inspired by Starwars

I want one http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/02/05/floating_...red_by_sta.html

MOD Just say no to goats

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/07/go...periments_stop/

Kosher Phone Service For Israel

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/06/new_mobi_domains/

The Cure For Morning Grumpiness

http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php?name=...e&sid=10457

Edited by ShaggyRS6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen

Rest assured, I shall not change.

Most of the items referred to in the report I have never even heard of, let alone possess.

Given that this forum is about shooting related subjects, pigeon shooting particularly, I feel that such a round up may be better placed on another forum, although I dont know which one. Forgive me, but I was so interested that I fell asleep towards the end, and obviously missed the punch line, if there was one.

It is obvious that Shaggy is well tuned in to his chosen career, its such a pity that he cant hit a nail or drive a screw without assistance, but each to his own; everything in its place and all that!

webber

But its General Banter Webber, have you not noticed that 99.9% of posts in here are not shooting related? It actually states, talk about anything other than shooting. Also let me apologies if I have offended you by not (by self admission) being able to perform any form of DIY.

Take a chill pill brother :lol:

Given the length of the post, the content is another issue, if such a "roundup" were read even only a hundred times and some posters chalking the whole post up each time before adding their comments, the pages containing fresh posts would be forced off the page faster than normal which imo is a little unfair, I may be wrong in my assumption and stand to be corrected.

As Webber says, and I agree with him, this is primarily a shooting forum and really this is what is of interest to most of us, I for one really enjoy the forum for its variety, it would be spoilt if some members sought to dominate the pages.

Shaggy is obviously enthusiastic over everything he does and in itself thats harmless, but a weekly "report" on top of the everyday posts and numerous photos concerning the Ferrets, the Landrover and the weather, no sir enough.

There are more than enough far more experienced countrymen on here who have the time to do a weekly page, but that is not the style of the forum, dont take it to heart Shaggy but this is not the place.

:lol: D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn

Just a couple of comments.

General Banter is where you can talk about things other than shooting (just what it says on the tin :lol: ).

Members post on here and the thread stands or falls by the response it gets.

No response and it slips off the page, lots of response and it stays near the top.

Often the interest in a post can be measured by the views, rather than the responses.

Sometimes a response is not even necessary, or invited.

All members can increase the number of threads they can see per page, by going to My Controls > Board Settings > "Number of posts to show for each topic page" and increasing the number, I believe the Forum default is 30 posts.

This helps keep things on the "front page" on some of the busier sections.

Shaggy

I have noted your edited post "cure for morning grumpy's", although I have not followed the link, as I dont feel that I need a cure.

I thank D2D for his support and comment on your post, far more diplomatic than my first effort which I deleted before posting, as on reflection I did not wish to cause you any offense; but to be blunt; its the wrong type of post on the wrong type of forum. Not what I and many others signed up to PW for, general banter or not.

I will admit that I have been amused by your exploits with the Landy, and the adventures of Brian, but the current item under discussion in my opinion is little more than garbage, incorrectly located, and may be considered by some to be bordering on the Outlawdian.

webber

Shaggy

I have noted your edited post "cure for morning grumpy's", although I have not followed the link, as I dont feel that I need a cure.

I thank D2D for his support and comment on your post, far more diplomatic than my first effort which I deleted before posting, as on reflection I did not wish to cause you any offense; but to be blunt; its the wrong type of post on the wrong type of forum. Not what I and many others signed up to PW for, general banter or not.

I will admit that I have been amused by your exploits with the Landy, and the adventures of Brian, but the current item under discussion in my opinion is little more than garbage, incorrectly located, and may be considered by some to be bordering on the Outlawdian.

webber

I thought it was **** aswell :lol::lol::lol:

I didn't have anything of much interest for me, but it may of course be of interest to others.

Personally (as a member) I enjoy Shaggy's posts and for my money, he is one of the better contributors PW has at the moment.

I don't want to blow too much smoke up his you know what, but he has what we call in corporate circles a refreshing 'can do' attitude, which means he doesn't need to know how to use a hammer - he just gets someone else to to it :lol:

Just to show a bit of support for shaggy generally like this sort of thing and find it helpful maybe not much to do with this site but its in general banter and if you dont want to read it you dont have to only thing i really took from it was the top ten diy things but still would be interested to see what comes up in future.

Stuart

For the record, I employ people to wield hammers and spanners for me, on a daily basis. Due to having both my hands crushed in an industrial accident many years ago, I now have little grip or sensation in my hands, they just dont work like they used to.

The main difference here though is that I can, or could, and am not therefore victim to the oxometrics spouted by some who can or think that they can.

webber

I dont wish to become engaged in any disputes, but what always makes me chuckle is that some people feel the need to have an opinion on a post that they dont like or :lol: have no interest in.

If its a post that i have no interest in, i click the mouse and off i go again to another!, why cause a fuss or a problem where there isnt one?

Edited by Hot-Shot

I was gonna do a blog at some point.

Hotshot, that's what i do. If I see a thread that does not interest me i tend not to share my opinions with others as to why i dont want to take part in the discussion, I just dont post in it.

Nothing wrong though with putting your 2 pence worth in. Its a free country.