LIVER

lurcherboy

I must say as a kid I hated liver much to the dissapointment of my parents...........but today after a hard stalk or a night on the seat for boar the first thing I do when at home is liver fry up!!It is great , wether from roe or from pig its great fresh.Funny how things change.

Got to say that my missus makes the best calves liver, bacon, mash and onions - better than I have had in any restaurant.

Bizare as it is, she doesn't touch the stuff as she can't stand it.

Well, it's either that or she's poisoning me for the life insurance :P

A little off-topic, and possibly a question for Maiden22, but do you think your pension annuities will increase if you tell them that the missus is poisoning you...? Could be worth a punt... :P:P

Oh, and I do love liver, but I'm not sold on tripe. Tripe would be fine if only it wasn't so, y'know, tripey. But, having said that, I had it in St. John with chorizo and beans and it was very tasty indeed. Balanced out by the strong paprika and garlic I think.

Actually, I'm getting pretty hungry just thinking about it, so it can't be all that bad... :hmm:

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave

This works well with liver and takes away the bitterness

Vietnamese liver curry for two

One chopped onion

1/2lb of any liver - this works ok with lamb's, pig or ox - sliced into strips

2 crushed cloves of garlic

2 heaped teaspoons of curry paste (ideally Vietnamese curry paste - if you can get it, but I use Bart's red Thai paste)

A good heaped tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter

A can of coconut milk

1 tablespoon of Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce

1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce

A good handful of French green beans, spinach or broccoli (or if you like - all 3!)

In a wok or large frying pan, fry the onion in a good glug of oil until soft & golden

Turn up the heat, add and sear the liver briefly, add the garlic, curry paste and peanut butter and stirfry for 30 secs until the peanut butter melts.

Add the coconut milk, fish and soy sauces and the greenery

Simmer until the veg is just cooked and the liver tender.

Serve with rice or rice noodles

This also works well with any white fish - just leave out the peanut butter and soy sauce (which would otherwise overwhelm the fish).

Put the fish in halfway though cooking the veg so that it isn't overcooked.

Edited by amateur

That certainly sounds good, I hate liver which also spans from school dinner memories. Pastey lump of hard liver with peas and lumpy cold mash. I love the smell of liver n bacon cooking but just hate liver.

Lets us know hoe the curry goes, might give it a try too.

Here's my Liver & Bacon recipe.

I've found that if you overcook liver the flavour isn't as good.

I have done this recipe with both lamb's and calf's liver.

Fry the bacon until crispy, remove from the pan & keep warm.

In the same pan, gently fry a chopped onion until soft & golden - you might need some more grease or oil if the bacon was lean. - remove the onions and put with the bacon.

Add a little more grease, turn up the heat and briefly sear the liver on both sides.

Add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and scrape up the bits in the bottom of the pan and add 1/2 pint of tomato juice and a twist of black pepper.

Add the onions and bacon and simmer until the liver is just cooked - I prefer it slightly pink.

Serve with mash and steamed broccoli

Strewth - writing this has made me quite hungry - I am now getting the urge to head-job a pigeon for lunch

Edited by amateur

rabbit liver and kidneys Mmmm i save and freeze mine till i have a dozen or so then pan fry them all together and just pig out on them .. tripe used to like it when i was a kid raw smotherd in vinegar and pepper tried it once since being adult and not too impressed :yes: