Another Great Day With The HMR

ShaggyRS6

Lee,

I see nothing wrong with what you have done. The animals need to be disposed of and you done it in a manner that is both hygienic and practical. However, the rabbits could be put to good use for ferreting, if you bury the rabbits in warrens that cannot for some reason be ferreted, they may cause the rabbits to vacate that warren for warrens that are, shall we say more ferret friendly. Just a thought.

TC

:good:

Shaggy should have titled this thread as 'Vermin Control' then it may have been received in a different manner and I want everyone to know that I don't give a toss if antis read this thread.

I have spent real time with both D2D and Shaggy and would/will gladly spend more time with either of them again as they are both top geezers :lol:

It appears that the burning pic is what has set this thread on fire, 'scuse the pun, but I can assure you all that a multiple badger pyre pic would look a lot worse.

We all do what we can to distribute are quarry and some have unlimited sources when it comes to distribution.

I can offload 20 or so rabbits on a Sunday night without going near the Game Dealer and others have neighbours that would call the RSPCA if you offered them a rabbit.

Shaggy, try Tercel's suggestion next time you sources are full but on no account stop doing the vermin control, your permission depends on it :lol:

LB

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaggy,

Good shooting and good control over your land :good:

I don't see the issue here at all, Shaggy has been asked to control vermin on his permission, he has also been told in which manner he should dispose of the excess corpses. He has followed both of these instructions.

As he has clearly stated, some rabbits will be taken for the ferts, some given away, however the excess he has dealt with in the best manner available to him and indeed the manner suggested.

This week's count (I have been off all week) is up to 89. There are some areas one permission that need to be Ferreted now as they are to close to roads for the rifle. The trees are being descimated. Will try an get some pics. They have pulled the wire off and almost every tree has the bark missing at the bottom.

To give you just some idea of what the problem is like I went out and took some pictures, these are just snippets from the 2 most local permissions I have, I must stress these pictures are just the tip of the iceberg. Almost every row has a warren system. Some small some huge.

As you can see the damage is extensive. On these particular permissions I seem to be the only one doing any work although I am aware one of them gets ferreted now and again.

pe1.jpg

pe2.jpg

pe3.jpg

pe4.jpg

pe5.jpg

pe6.jpg

pe7.jpg

pe8.jpg

pe9.jpg

pe10.jpg

pe11.jpg

pe12.jpg

pe13.jpg

pe14.jpg

Lee,

Having seen those photos the first thing that strikes me is forget what I said about burying them in warrens would not know where to start. The second thing that strikes me is that place is crying out for a longnet. Take the last photo of the warrens along the hedge beyond that there is a field where the rabbits must be feeding as there is no food in the orchard.

pe14.jpg

A light wind blowing into that hedge on a dark night and you would be away. As most rabbits prefer to feed into the wind you would have a lot of rabbits feeding out in that field.

TC

Lee,

Having seen those photos the first thing that strikes me is forget what I said about burying them in warrens would not know where to start. The second thing that strikes me is that place is crying out for a longnet. Take the last photo of the warrens along the hedge beyond that there is a field where the rabbits must be feeding as there is no food in the orchard.

pe14.jpg

A light wind blowing into that hedge on a dark night and you would be away. As most rabbits prefer to feed into the wind you would have a lot of rabbits feeding out in that field.

TC

The Problem with that particular bit is it does need to be Ferreted or Shot along the line of the fence and not through it as it back onto to some horses feilds. So its either ferrets, Air rifle, although I need to chat the ladies up a bit more to get rights to shoot into their land. i will double check with the farmer if that land is his or the stables

Edited by ShaggyRS6