SAKO Quad

Wookie

Assuming that I actually get a grant (see http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=46423&hl= for more details) I'm going to be getting a rifle just about as soon as I can so that I can make a serious start on trimming down the bunnys at my permission.

The tricky question though is what to go for. I have always liked the CZ452 Silhouette for .22 and the CZ 452 Varmint seems a damn dood choice for .17HMR as well. Add the two together though and that's about 600 notes for just the rifles, about 250 notes for the two scopes, call it about 75 for the mods and then about 200 for ancillaries (sling/bipods etc, trigger kits). All told, I don't reckon I'll get change from a grand at all.

This got me thinking... The Sako Quad is about 475 new and you get a barrel with it. spend about 150 on a scope suitable for both calibres, a single mod and other bits (bipod, sling, say about another 100 notes) and that comes out a lot cheaper. There are downsides though, specifically having to re-zero when you change calibres. There's also the cost of a second barrel. How much is this?

I have other questions too... Assuming I get the .22 version first, the .22 barrel seems fine for the job, but would the .17HMR barrel benefit from a bit more meat? Maybe something like the varmint weight? Is the trigger on a Quad _that much_ better than a CZ that I would not need to mess with it?

And the last one... Does the flexibility of the Quad get warn out when you consider the hassle of changing barrels instead of just picking a second rifle?

Any help gratefully received.

Assuming that I actually get a grant (see http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=46423&hl= for more details) I'm going to be getting a rifle just about as soon as I can so that I can make a serious start on trimming down the bunnys at my permission.

The tricky question though is what to go for. I have always liked the CZ452 Silhouette for .22 and the CZ 452 Varmint seems a damn dood choice for .17HMR as well. Add the two together though and that's about 600 notes for just the rifles, about 250 notes for the two scopes, call it about 75 for the mods and then about 200 for ancillaries (sling/bipods etc, trigger kits). All told, I don't reckon I'll get change from a grand at all.

This got me thinking... The Sako Quad is about 475 new and you get a barrel with it. spend about 150 on a scope suitable for both calibres, a single mod and other bits (bipod, sling, say about another 100 notes) and that comes out a lot cheaper. There are downsides though, specifically having to re-zero when you change calibres. There's also the cost of a second barrel. How much is this?

I have other questions too... Assuming I get the .22 version first, the .22 barrel seems fine for the job, but would the .17HMR barrel benefit from a bit more meat? Maybe something like the varmint weight? Is the trigger on a Quad _that much_ better than a CZ that I would not need to mess with it?

And the last one... Does the flexibility of the Quad get warn out when you consider the hassle of changing barrels instead of just picking a second rifle?

Any help gratefully received.

I did have a SAKO Quad until day after I sold it on BBS site to a friend of BobJ

Not sure what you mean by

but would the .17HMR barrel benefit from a bit more meat?

Is the trigger on a Quad _that much_ better than a CZ? Yes it is by a country mile can't really compare SAKO with CZ, having owner 2 17hmr CZ varmints and a 22lr CZ. It's instantly noticeable the difference between rifles

sakoquad005.jpg

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

I thought about this when i got mine and simply put I couldn't be bothered with the hastle of swapping over barrels etc. I'd actually also say get the HMR barrel before the .22, once you've used it you may not get the .22lr. i'll get flack for that statement but if your permissions are fine for HMR use then it is far more capable. if however you have lots of horses arround and very good back stops you may need the .22

Is the .17HMR barrel as good as a vermint one though? Am I likely to see a marked difference in the size of group shooting one of these over something with a heavier barrel?

The only thing I am balking at right now is the extra initial cost of the rifle. I know it's only about 150 quid more ("only" takes on a whole new meaning... I remember when that was more money than I could dream of). Is it really 150 quid better than a CZ? Also, how much are the extra barrels?

Hi wookers - let me know what the boss says on the other thread - my FEO did'nt get back to me on that issue.

All the more reason to pop over one night and have a gander at my Quad set up mate. It's an outstanding rifle ... as long as things work as they should do. They have gotten a reputation for the .22 to sometimes fail to eject the spent shell. Being a cussy funt I sent it back for them to ease out the breach end of the barrel a tad... which means I had NO powder rifle while it was away. It was only marginally better when I got it back. I hardly ever use .22 anyway so the occasional time I have to fetch a shell out with my fingernail (it's quite a wide breech opening) is not really an issue and this itself is now rare if I clean it with a brass brush. I have also had the bolt come out when recycling about three times for some reason.

The bigger issue it that it's a very low travel and quiet bolt recycling action - as opposed to my brothers (fleabag) Annie(s) which sound like your throwing ball bearings at each other for the rabbits to hear just after they have been alerted which gives away your position I think. The annie bolts travel for thirty three and half miles and if you have big hands you'll keep accidently lifting the bolt because the huge **** that poses as a handle rests against the back of your thumb base (his are thumbhole stocks) I also found his shells sometime bounce off the scope tube back into the receiver when ejected sometimes. The Quad bolt seems to snug up nicely into a slightly pinched closed location that is satifyingly locked. The magazines are flush fitting which is better when you rest on a gate or whatever and they are less fiddly. I've never tried a CZ rifle though.

Barrel changing is incredibly simple as long as you get a sidewheel scope which is shorter than most AO scopes so splash out more cash - your looking for a scope length of less than 13.5" on high mounts to avoid a clash when changing over. Something like my Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 SF which is for sale would fit the bill nicely. :welcomeani:

My 15" HMR barrel is zero'd at 100 yards with the resetable elevation turret at "0". When I change to the 14" .22 barrel all I need do with the scope is adjust the elevation turret to +8 (32 clicks) to get zero'd at 52 yards using winnie subs. Job done :good:

If you propose to use the rifle regularly I'd say get the synthetic stock one that you wont worry about scratching. There's abit more info and pictures of the scope clearance etc on my thread:Here

I paid £125 for a second hand but almost new .22lr barrel.

You cant change between a virmin barrel and normal as the gun is different.

I got a .17hmr barrel first and use it most of the time. It's easy to swap barrels but unless I want to punch paper I dont really use the .22.

Zeroing is easy if you remember the settings.

Harry

I got a new 22 lr barrel + mag for £130, damn accurate, nearly as good as the hmr at 50 yards. I use it when I'm clearing rabbits as it's cheap to run. Probably no more accurate than a CZ but it's a quality gun. I'm reading some good reviews from the US for the 22 wmr barrel using Rem ballistic tips and hm2 shooters rave about that too. Confused? Go to a good gun shop and handle as many as you can, then chose.

Good advice I think Down South. I think a trip to Donaldsons is in order this weekend. That means I can go to Ikea and keep the fiancee happy as well!

So, going back to the origianl question, I could get a Quad and spare barrel for about the same as two CZs, but I'd be saving on the cost of a scope and a bipod and other bits, assuming Dave-G wants something reasonable for his scope and can wait a bit...

Speaking of which Dave, have you got photos and a price in mind?

Hello mate. I bought a sako quad in .22lr with the thought of getting different barrels ie .17 hmr 90% of people buy another reciever or complete gun to save all the hassle as i did. They are a great rifle but not a patch on my anschutz. only my opinion :blush:

Hello mate. I bought a sako quad in .22lr with the thought of getting different barrels ie .17 hmr 90% of people buy another receiver or complete gun to save all the hassle as i did. They are a great rifle but not a patch on my anschutz. only my opinion ???
totally agree mosa i much prefer my Anschutz to Dave gs sako. I keep pulling his bolt out when cocking it, smacks me straight in the eye. both deadly accurate but alas my working parts are a little noisier.

So there are fors and againsts for this idea already.

Harry has pointed out that buying a quad for two calibres is going to be cheaper by about 2-300 notes than buying two CZs, but about 200 notes more expensive than buying one. It will take up less space and is a better gun anyway. But, we have reliability issues in the form of not ejecting .22 carts and, according to fleabag, quiet but always coming out bolts. There's also the issue with the standard (i.e. not varmint weight) barrel in .17HMR flexing, but that seems to be a non-issue from what you have all said.

I don't mind spending the money to buy one, I really don't (just don't tell the other half), but I am concerned about the reliability issues. I know that I'll be able to take it apart in my sleep within a few days and so putting it together in the field is not going to be an issue, but I don't actually want it to come apart in the first place.

Mind you, I don't want to have to pay for an Annie either... No way I can afford that!

Buy the Quad. Get the .22lr & HMR barrels in regular style (terminology defeats me right now), I wouldn't bother with varmint barrels on a rimfire.

I've only skimmed over this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating anything already said. I've got the .22lr barrel, I've mounted an MTC Viper 4-16x50 on Bisley (Sportsmatch) mounts. I can take the barrel off for cleaning and it's on zero when I put it back, so swapping barrels isn't a problem. If I got another barrel I'd simply set my turrets to 0 for the .22lr and record the clicks and direction for say a HMR zero. Change the barrel from .22lr to HMR all you do is clickity click. I seriously doubt you'd ever be out more than one click if that at all.

Now, my .22lr in the beginning did not like ejecting spent .22lr cases. It built a bridge and got over that hurdle itself, but, has replaced that with now (only sometimes) not ejecting live rounds. Two very easy solutions depending on the scenario you find yourself in. Fire the round into a safe backstop and eject the spent case. Or, as I do, take a small allen key or similiar with you and you can very easily remove the live round to use another time.

There's another issue with buying a Quad with two calibres instead of two rifles, besides the expense. Safety incase of a break in or theft. If they do manage to make off with your rifle they'll only have one working firearm at any time. If you buy two full rifles then they'll have two working firearms. Now I know that's an extreme long shot (pardon the pun) of a scenario but it does make things that bit safer in my opinion.

I've shot a couple of other Quads with HMR barrels and I never found any flexing to be an issue. The three Quads I've shot with, 1 x .22lr and 2 x HMR, have all been very accurate, reliable and very easy to use. Dave-G's report about the bolt coming out is the first I've heard of that happening, maybe something that's unfortunately afflicting his own rifle? I'd be interested to know why that's happening though.

I know it's not my money being spent this time, so it's easy for me to say, but, I really can't see you being disappointed in any Quad you might buy. I did spend my money last year and I'm very happy that I did so ???

one thing i forgot to add is that the 22 barrel has a known fault that it doesnt eject the final last round you have in there so you have to shoot it into the ground unless you want to pick it out. They sometimes have problems with ejecting spent rounds also. The importers are aware that this is a 99/100 problem so you send the barrel back to them for them to increase the bore (without getting technical) to allow the round to come out easier. I am not saying everyone has this issue but rather a lot and if you ask them in the shop they may tell you. Once sorted they are great but its a shame you have to go without your rifle for a time

As John pointed out, there is only one rifle to get stolen in the very unlikely event of a theft, only one scope and sling etc too. :good: An additional advantage is that you can take BOTH with you and only one barrel gets left in the car in case you decide to switch later at night for example. I personally see this as better "good reason" to hold both because there is only one firearm that could fall into the wrong hands and get sold off :lol:

The bolt popping out is very strange, and when it does it's a bitch to get back in again. It seems as though it's gone part way through a process as it needs a playing around with before it goes back. I also think it's the bolt that causes the .22 eject problems. The instuction manual tells how to dismantle the bolt and put it back together but I have never been able to follow the simplest written instruction and feel scared to try it. :lol:

To the naked eye the shells look as though they have the same rim/base size - in fact I once saw 17HMR referred to as a necked down WMR? Put a vernier across the rime and you see that the 17 is about half a mill larger than the .22. I have suspicions that the claw does'nt grab the smaller .22 shell quite as effectively as the HMR due to striking the groove machined in the barrel. The imprter sort of agrees with me and said I could ease the groove out a bit if I wish.

EDIT: I doubt there is much flex in the shorter barrel that most opt for. It was found in Varmint al's barrel test that shorter barrels have more consistent FPS stastics - 15" being the most consistent. I'll try and find that and edit this again

Edited by Dave-G

I've owned a sako quad with a .22 barrel for a couple of months and have been pleased with accuracy and overall performance using the winchester subs. The MTC viper 4 -16 x 50 seems a good scope for the money and allows clearance for the removal of the barrell, though I had to try several options for mounts. I can recommend the SAK moderator, its very effective with subsonic rounds. I plan to get the .17 hmr barrel soon. The only gripe I have about the rifle is the ejection of live rounds which is a nuisance when lamping. They do seem to eject ok when just cleaned though. Thinking of sending it back to get it sorted. Anybody had any experience of this?