Midland game fair

turk101

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well! What a bloody shame the weather wasn't kind to the shooters and anglers.

Talk about a MUDBATH!!!

It hissed all morning and the wellie man did a roaring trade.

Still we have shot in worst conditions and trudged round the many stands and picked up some cracking bargains.

Camo gaiters for £3.00

Duck decoys £2.00

GORE TEX jackets £5.00

Went and saw DEAKO and done the intro (tite mother didn't give us a sausage or egg sarnie as requested). Sitting there with his frying pan FULL of grub)

Now we know where all the PIES went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And after speaking with many of the traders and shooters (in the beer tent) we were GLAD to hear that ALL OVER THE COUNTRY everyone is experiencing POOR pigeon shooting.

ACORNS are the crop of the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

If you are going today EXPECT long delays as we got there for 7.15am and by 9.00 clock there were 2 HOUR queues to get in.

Have fun all

DAVE K

The queues are what put me off going every year.

I can only cope with one Show every 5 years. :lol:

Pity is, I always enjoy myself once I am there.

The Gore Tex jacket costing £5 , was it the poncho style with a picture of Micky Mouse on the back ?

If so, I bought my kids some of those at DisneyWorld years ago. :yp: :lol::lol:

I also went yesterday, good job I took the wellies!.

Got a good deal on the BROWNING B525 Sporter grade 1.

My mate left Liverpool at 9am and arrived at 2pm due to traffic jams on the M6.

He wasn,t a happy chappy. I heard it on the news at 6am and went another way :lol: . But loads of people where still coming in at 3pm.

Deako and Mark wern,t to happy, I think they had a bit of gear stolen :yp: .

All in all it brightened up in the afternoon, and I got my new toy :lol: . ( Sorry thats one thing I should not be calling it )

TUC

Well I dragged myself out of the cot early doors to go to weston belted down to within 9 miles of the place thinking great plenty of time? however it took me sodding 2 and a half HOURS to do that 9? ended up getting in a 1240, the airgun section and oppertunity to try airguns was fantastic I even got to complain to hull cartridges about my new hw100 leaking? and got a set of seals given, wanted a new lightforce lamp but found I can get them cheaper locally??? all in all considering the ineptness of actually getting people in ie stopping the cars and paying rather than park and then pay(which caused th hold ups) I wont be bothering again?

cheers Keith

I agree with KDUBYA, stopping the cars and counting the people, all having to search your pockets for the right money whilst sitting in the car was rediculous.

People were getting bogged down with having to stop in the mud.

It was a lot easier last year, just park up, walk over and pay !

Another thing I noticed were the lack of sign post compaired to last year, and the mens urinals were pathetic.

There is a lot of money going into this show, its about time it was a bit more organised. :< .

TUC

yo cranfield

as for your question

The Gore Tex jacket costing £5 , was it the poncho style with a picture of Micky Mouse on the back ?

Answer NO! The full monty 3/4 Jacket with zip and press studs with a hood.

The lady on the stand had dozens of them and trousers at £5.00 as well.

I met the unluckiest blokes in the "Pig and Whistle" (Beer tent) on Saturday.

Poor sod, sporting his brand new, 30 minutes old, Deerhunter Advantage Timber jacket, went into

the mens urinals, slipped **** over *** and landed on his back, right in the

middle of all the urine and mud.

Poor bloke was crying into his beer........until a chap stood next to him at the bar

told us about his mate that had gone to the loo for a c**p, and forgot that he had his

mobile phone clipped onto his belt. When he stood up and pulled up his trousers, the mobile phone became un-clipped and flew in a gracefull arc.....straight into the pan !

We never did find out if he fished it out or not.

Went to the Midland on Sunday, met Deako, spent some lolly, bought more toys for the ever expanding toy box. Enjoyed the day, except for when it came to go home. Sat on the car park in a que for over an hour and covered not one yard. I therefore broke ranks and went off cross country to find an alternative route out. This proved to be successful in getting me off the estate great! Not so great was the fact that I got lost somewhere around Wolverhampton trying to find the M6. A kind local gave me directions.

I shall think twice about going again. If I do go an OS map of the area will be obtained before I leave. Its a pity that poor traffic management should spoil an otherwise perfect day.

What were your experiences of the game fair traffic?

webber

Lads,

It was great to meet up with you all as usual, though a few faces were missing this time around.

Now then, self defence time....I was going to give you all a few sausages and a slice of that delicious Spanish omelette that I conjured up, but it was a touch slow to cook it to perfection on the BBQ...lo and behold, as soon as it was ready, I turned to find all the hungry PW members had gone! :lol: ...never mind, there was a bit left over for the lovely black lab from next door's stand. :yp:

We were hopping mad when we found a couple of Deerhunter wellie bags had gone 'walkies', especially as we were eagle eyed all day...what a relief to find them at the end of the show...they had slipped down behind the display. :lol:

I agree about the appaling traffic situation, as traders we want as many punters in as possible, but many people have sworn never to return to the midland due to the queues. My old dad managed a mile and a half in 2 hours...**** organisation, should definately use the park and walk to the payment kiosk option...surely they should have learned that by now?

All in all though, we had an excellent show and thank you all for your continued support, its really appreciated. :lol:

Got to M6 junction 12 at 10.00am, queued for 20 mins just to get to the top of the slip road and onto the A5. Then queued for another 45 mins to cover approx 2 miles on the A5, so we cut off the A5 and drove around the back roads (Exactly what the Midland organisers told us NOT to do on the website !)

We managed to rejoin the A5 about 1/2 mile from Weston park, and it then took us 10 mins to get in.

If we'd stayed on the A5 all the way from M6 to Weston I reckon we'd still have been there.

Went on sun left home at 6am arrived at 10.30 stopped for breakfast had a good day looking round,found a few bargains.When it was time to go home what a nightmare.Took 2 1/2 hours to get off the car park then had traffic on A5 road works on A14 had a 30mile diversion.Got home at 11.45 took 6 3/4hours to get home.I'm afraid i won't be going again unless they sort the parking problem out

...I had a great time, and we made some serious money on our stand. I've never been before and I was shocked at the sheer size of the show and the amount of people that attended! Especially on sunday, the place was rammed! The turn out was 75k last year and I reakon they beat that this year.

Deako and Mark wern,t to happy, I think they had a bit of gear stolen. :yp:

There were blatantly security problems. We had a minor drama too. *** some things need to be sorted there! Some ******** slashed our tent on the sat night. Thankfully we were sharing our pitch with Aidenbourne who successfully seemed to scare off the intruders as they ran down the side of the tent and covered the front with some smelly jar of Warners(?) fox stinky stuff. The security were useless, turned up stinking of booze and just called the police who didn't really give a damn. Never mind tho. we were quite chuffed to be honest! We burnt off the stink and had a bloody good day. Living safe in the knowledge that we were doing bloody well enough to be targeted! Someone was jealous! Harsh on swavrowski (sp?) though who were next door, they were struggling as it was and also got covered by some useless shot who couldn't just hit us! Harsh, they were nice folks. They left early.

Anyway enough of the moaning! It was as great weekend! I hooked up with Sniper who reacognised me in a fish and chip shop a few miles away from the game fair! That was random but amusing! Sniper that fish and chip shop was fantastic, your fish looked fine, but the tikka kebab meat was definately as good as it looked! Sorry we couldn't join you in the pub but we were knackered! Nice to meet you! The first person I've met off this forum!

And finally who was the man who looked like Father Christmas, who walked up to me on the counter of our stand and said 'are you Gemma?' I said 'yes, who are you?' he nodded then wandered off! Someone must know who he is! I think he is the second person I've met off here!

Deako, we were going to pop in and say hello, but we wandered past your stand a couple of times and it was rammed. You must've done well. What was that bloody racket you were pumping out all the time tho? I felt seriously sorry for the traders either side of you lot!

Anyway, I had a brill weekend, and I've now decided (after a bit of playing on a few stands) that I want a gun all of my own! I'm saving!

Who is Father Christmas?! It's bothering me! YP?

Anyway, to all who attended, I hope you had as good a time as I did. It was a good un!

Webber ....

If I do go an OS map of the area will be obtained before I leave.
Absolutely the best advice, dead right. Here's the fully developed Webber / Eug formula for going to the big two and three day events....

Given the scale of the CLA and Midland Gamefairs, you can't see it all in one day, so a stay over a couple of nights is indicated. Travel up the day before the show, into a pre-booked B&B, caravan site whatever.

On the way to the pub that evening do a recce and find out where the gates are. Use your highly developed Pigeon Watch map reading and cross country skills to plot a backroads route into the most remote gate. Avoid routes that cross main roads or intersect with traffic coming off the Motorway.

Get in to the ground by 8.00; not later. If needs be take a picnic breakfast, or have one in the show. A picnic lunch is a good idea too; the nosebag on these grounds is always expensive and usually poor quality.

I've done the CLA like this for years and never had a problem; there is a quiet feeling of satisfaction when you are lolling back in the sun at 10.30 necking a tinnie

thinking of all the other Herberts still in the traffic. It's a poor world where you can't take simple pleasure in someone elses' misfortune!

Regards

Eug

Well said Eugine. I had no problem getting in as I arrived around 9am. but getting out was a nighmare.

I sat in a que for over an hour before frustration led me to break free! The reserve food and remnants of the flask contents were consumed in the que. Im a diabetic and was way past meal time. Once I got to the motorway I stopped for fuel both for the car and myself.

The Midland is a great show, well worth a two day visit as you say.

The organisers have had enough practice yet constantly get it wrong!

webber

Hi Gem,

We too had a major headache with security, during the Saturday night somebody tried to get into the tent, but by the time I'd rolled out of the sleeping bag the b@stard had legged it. No real damage though, just a couple of the elastic bungees cut through. :lol:

Sunday afternoon we were plagued with thieving ***** types intent on stealing anything they could get away with, even a £2 pair of socks ***!! :yp:

As for the horrible racket wailing out of the tent, it was a digital recording of pinkfooted geese feeding, and yes....the lady on the ciggy stand opposite went mental and made us switch it off! :*)