600 Police in single raid

LEFTY478

The full article's at Telegraph.co.uk & Video >>here<<

600 police arrive in one north London street

By Richard Edwards, Crime Correspondent

Last Updated: 3:02am GMT 28/03/2008

An army of police officers have marched on a crime-filled street in an unprecedented show of force.

Their target was Blackstock Road in Finsbury Park, north London - said to be a "one-stop shop" for crime where up to 40 per cent of stolen mobile phones in Britain were sold on.

Around 600 officers dressed in riot gear swooped on the shopping street, a short distance from Finsbury Park Mosque and Arsenal's Emirates stadium, raiding 19 cafes and other businesses including a halal butcher, a convenience store and a greengrocer.

Officers recovered more than 300 mobile phone handsets, 120 laptops, 110 cameras, 32 iPods and dozens of satellite navigation systems.

More than 70 people suspected of trading in drugs, stolen goods and fake passports were arrested in the day-long operation, which also included raids on residential addresses across the capital involving a further 500 officers.

Chief Superintendent Bob Carr, who was in charge of the raids, said they followed 12 months of planning.

He said the scale of the operation was "unprecedented" but necessary because of a small area in which a large number of crimes were taking place: "The whole purpose of visiting with this number of officers is to make sure the people you are trying to arrest do not feel they can fight their way out."

He added: "We have spent over 12 months planning this operation. It has been very intensive and I believe it will be a great success."

Mr Carr claimed police had evidence of at least 70 drug deals taking place in the area.

He added: "I think what has happened here in this area is, for some reason, criminals have felt this is the place to come to sell their wares and do their deals - that is, both drugs and stolen property. Because it is a very small area, there was a feeling they can do it with impunity and this raid today shows they cannot."

About bloody time too! It's good to see some scum-bag crims getting lifted for a change.

Edit to add article links.

Edited by LEFTY478

Well everyone (who didn't know before) now knows where to go for dodgy knocked off gear (after it starts back up again in probably about a weeks time)

:good: Sadly, that it true, as is the fact that they will mostly get a caution, a slap on the wrist or told if they are caught another 15 times, they may be deported.

See you there in a week or so, I hear there is a container of tungsten shot cartridges due in stock. :good:

While i agree with feeling the collars of these crooks ,why have it taken a year to plan and how much hooky gear have this scum sold on while they have been watched for the last 12 months . I dont think that raiding the scum once a year is good enough it should be done every day . Harnser .

halal butcher? im not racist or anything before anyone starts but why is it that black and asian communities are more involved in crime than white communities ?

about time the police did this ! rather than community support officers, now they are a total waste of time in my opinion !

halal butcher? im not racist or anything before anyone starts but why is it that black and asian communities are more involved in crime than white communities ?

about time the police did this ! rather than community support officers, now they are a total waste of time in my opinion !

Cause Britain is an easy target, they know the country before they come here, mean why cross half way round the world when they can stop off at a neigbouring country.

Britain is Land of hope and glory just not for the natives.

Cause Britain is an easy target, they know the country before they come here, mean why cross half way round the world when they can stop off at a neigbouring country.

Britain is Land of hope and glory just not for the natives.

I dont think in itself race has anything to do with how likely a person is to commit crime. I do seem to remember a chief constable from somewhere or other saying the majority of muggings were commited by young black men and was villified for it. I would say that this comes down to oppertunitys and levels of education. If you were an immigrant coming to the uk chances are you wouldnt have huge amounts of cash, so would be living in a 'cheap'area. Those areas were cheap in the first place as they were the rougher end of town, not many job oppertunities, poor schools etc. And that means that your kids are less likely to get a decent education and more likely fall in with the wrong crowd. If they cant get a decent job in their area and growing up all theyve ever seen is their parents working hard, yet still not getting anywhere, while all the people in their area driving BMWs with all the Bling are selling crack, is it any wonder they turn to crime?

Just my tuppence worth

"necessary because of a small area in which a large number of crimes were taking place: "The whole purpose of visiting with this number of officers is to make sure the people you are trying to arrest do not feel they can fight their way out."

I'm thinking of the shame it's been allowed to sink so low for it to take that amount of force. Had the country stood firm against more crime instead of letting little things slide this would have been nipped in the bud. I firmly believe it all started with Esther Rantzen and her ilk.

I would say that this comes down to oppertunitys and levels of education. If you were an immigrant coming to the uk chances are you wouldnt have huge amounts of cash, so would be living in a 'cheap'area. Those areas were cheap in the first place as they were the rougher end of town, not many job oppertunities, poor schools etc. And that means that your kids are less likely to get a decent education and more likely fall in with the wrong crowd. If they cant get a decent job in their area and growing up all theyve ever seen is their parents working hard, yet still not getting anywhere, while all the people in their area driving BMWs with all the Bling are selling crack, is it any wonder they turn to crime?

Just my tuppence worth

Ok so I have no qualifications, get by on my wage working 80 hours a week to pay the bills and keep my family. If only I had known that it would be acceptable to rob and steal because I am less well educated and got less money than some. Still, if only I wasn't as thick I would have known that.