Advice for a nub

Melonfish

Chaps,

I'm currently looking into bagging myself some rabbits and pigeons. however, i don't want to be bothered with an FAC or complicated CO2 refills or expensive cartridges etc so i'm mainly looking at springers.

now i know very little about the current market having had all my air rifle experience when i was about 11 ish with my uncle. mostly using a BSA meteor to shoot at targets and pidgeons in the woods up by his. (i'm now 28)

now am i correct in saying i can get a spring rifle that'll kill a rabbit at about 30-35yrds? (i'll most likely be shooting under 30) and is lever better then break barrel. i would assume so because hte barrel has less movement hence less chance of inaccuarcy with the scope.

any advice at this stage on rifle types, powers. prices and places to shop for em would be excellent!

sorry for all the silly questions chaps, i've had a bit of a read through and i'm just trying to fill the gaps in my knowledge :drinks: all in all though the site so far has been a goldmine of info :good:

thanks!

pete

Edited by Melonfish

Welcome to PW Pete.

Most people will have their own opinion on this and am sure a search will throw up many threads with far better information than I can offer.

however - I have used many a springer and find that it is down to simple personal preferance.

Looking at the HW 97k, HW 95, Hw77k, HW80 or even the AA tx200hc all of these are more than capable of taking out quarry at 35yrds and each has their own feel so the best thing to do is get down to your local gun shop or even better gun club and try a few for yourself to see which you prefer.

If I had to pick one to use straight out of the box then it would be the TX200 but that's just my opinion.

It's then worth keeping an eye out on here as they do come up in the for sale section from time to time.

Cheers

EB

Good to see new people, welcome to PW pete,

I had the HW80 and it was fantastic. My mate has the HW97K and again fantastic rifle and you can get em on here or BBS quite reasonably priced. Heard good things about the air arms tx200 but no experience. The weihrauchs need stripping and degreasing out of the box to get the best out of them so if you're not that good at that sort of thing go for the tx200 or a second hand weihrauch. I have the aaS410k and rave about it so you should be ok with an air arms rifle.

Edited by peacey

Generally anything from HW77 and above from weihrauch will do the job, my hw80 is great and i've heard good things about tx200, the pro-sport is good. BSA Lightening and Supersport are good and webley stingray, exocet and longbow are good. Also theoben evolution are although pricey well reputed

Go british or german but not chinese (SMK)

Also in air gunner have read a field hunting test using a norica dream hunter and that comes out great and thats only £185 and is full legal limit, norica aren't the best known but are well in the running and getting a lot better with air rifles

Hope that helps, HSH :lol:

guys, what can i say? excellent thanks!

i'm currently looking into some now and these are some great suggestions. i did pop by a shop on my way home from work today and they had alot of SMK models, i take it these are bad then? they were in fact the cheapest in the shop.

i did spot the lightning and the lightning XL from BSA and they caught my eye. i do have a fondess for all things BSA (and Triumph) related anyways :yes:

i'll let you know how i get on with rifles but more suggestions are very appreciated chaps. i've learned alot in the last 48 hours and i've even had an offer of a shoot with a chap who manages the area we airsoft in (and his bud) so i'm hoping to pick up a few things :hmm:

pete

:lol:

guys, what can i say? excellent thanks!

i'm currently looking into some now and these are some great suggestions. i did pop by a shop on my way home from work today and they had alot of SMK models, i take it these are bad then? they were in fact the cheapest in the shop.

i did spot the lightning and the lightning XL from BSA and they caught my eye. i do have a fondess for all things BSA (and Triumph) related anyways :yes:

i'll let you know how i get on with rifles but more suggestions are very appreciated chaps. i've learned alot in the last 48 hours and i've even had an offer of a shoot with a chap who manages the area we airsoft in (and his bud) so i'm hoping to pick up a few things :hmm:

pete

:lol:

tried them, and found within a short time, bits fall off. go for a solid wooden stock.

Stay away from SMK they really are terrible guns. My mate had one as his first gun, luckily got it cheap, and i tried to zero the scope for him which as hard as i tried couldn't do. The triggers are rubbish too, no feel to them.

I have a as New HW 95K fitted with a Simmonds 3X9X40 scope .177 callibre, I want £200.00 plus postage. The only problem with the HW 80 and the underlever models are the weight as found them heavy to carry for any real distance.you dont say what part of britain you live in.

I have a as New HW 95K fitted with a Simmonds 3X9X40 scope .177 callibre, I want £200.00 plus postage. The only problem with the HW 80 and the underlever models are the weight as found them heavy to carry for any real distance.you dont say what part of britain you live in.

aha, well spotted that man. i've now changed my profile settings. i'm up in cheshire. "pancake country" cause we're flat as a calm sea

as for underleaver i'm not all that fussed on weight. every other weekend i run around in full combat kit and a steel/wood AKM (Airsoft) so i'm used to it :lol:

also you have pm.

i did spot the lightning and the lightning XL from BSA and they caught my eye. i do have a fondess for all things BSA (and Triumph) related anyways ;)

tried them, and found within a short time, bits fall off. go for a solid wooden stock.

that annoyed me abit with mine, i just used some black sealer on the butt piece, no problems since. the synthetic stock is really nice though imo

• 1 year later...

There are a load of guns that can take out rabbit at 30-35yrds and please believe me when i say that the tx-200 hc is the very best and most accurate spring gun on the market, its a little heavy but out of all the springers i have used over 30 yrs of airgunning its worth a bit of arm ache, the tx is a realy nice gun that can be picked up around £350 and will last u yrs if looked after, theres nothing better unless you go onto pre-charged

I have routinely headshotted squirrels at 30yds with an SMK 20 over the last couple of weeks. Maybe the one got hold of was a good 'un! As people have said already, it's down to choice, go and try as many as you can and you will find one that feels right for you.

P.S I would be put off SMK's in the future after reading what lots of people write about them, but the one I have does the job for me at the moment and I'm happy with how it performs.

It's expensive - but a Air Arms TX200 really is the bee's knee's in the springer world. I have killed at 50 yards with one, and really, if you can handle the nominal recoil you should get on like a house on fire.

It's main cons are that it's expensive, and quiet heavy, but it is really a top-notch rifle.

my advice would be to not try the TX200 unless you have the cash on you-you cant help but love it.Ive shot most of the weirauchs over the years but had to eventually admit that the Air Arms has them beat fair and square.As powrerfull as you need and more accurate than you will ever be! :lol:

I'd agree with what Bullet boys says.

Any of the full powered Weihrauch range is a very good bet. Air Arms are very good too.

A bit like the Stihl vs Husqvarna debate in terms of chainsaws really, or BMW vs mercedes in terms of cars. :rolleyes:

If you are not that well off you could always try other well known brands too. BSA Lightning derivatives are always quite common and will still do the end job just as well.

Webley are also okay, as I still ahve my tracker for bashing Mr Squizzel (Grey) with back home in Cheshire.

regards

Tufty