Too far, too much.

berettaman1

You know I have just been totting up in my head , the monster cost now If you want to shoot the various English Sporting Championships in Britain this year. I wont say what the grand total would be because I know it will spoil everyones day,just to enter the English=£50.00==World ==£115.00?==the British==No good my brain is refusing to accept these sums. But I see the English Open Skeet Entry fee is thank God a normal fair price,==£38.00,?. Or the English Open DTL is only £42.00...Thats it for me this year, The only big shoots I will attend are the Beretta World== £45.00 for 120 birds. plus a payout down to 10th in AA ..A..B..C... and The Essex Masters.again a good payout for a fairer entry cost. Not that I expect to be in the payouts anymore as I have been a Super Vet for the last 4 years, and there is no chance. against AA class guys who have just turned 60!. Hhm I think I will take up Crown Green Bowliiiiii,Zzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:

i totted it up 8 years ago and was just over £100 a week, over a year.

all in. :lol:??? ??? ???

but, i was lucky enough to get good returns on my shooting, plus i shot with free cartridges from a sponser.

end result was it didnt cost a lot but you have to win a lot to recoup your costs. ???;)

If you want to feel real pain in the entry costs department, try motorsport. I've raced for a very long time and as such am perpetually skint.

You don't know how good you have it to be able to compete for what is really a pittance compared to other sports.

It's a delight to go for a days sport/competition for only £50 or whatever. :lol:

Your perception of costs is probally that £50.00 is nothing really to you! My pension has just gone up from £106.00 to £110.00.!!so although £50.00 out of your income is a small amount, its allmost 50% of mine, and remember Pete, a lot of the members on here are young , with a wife and children to pay for, before they can even think of spending such a sum.Cheers.

A number of lads that I used to shoot clays with have dropped by the wayside over the last year, several for financial reasons.

A great shame. They say that clay shooting is a sport for all, but for many who are struggling with mortgages and living expenses, it's hard to justify this regular and increasing expense.

I seem to keep going with it but juggle some scary debts - perhaps my mates that quit had more sense than me :lol:

Edited by Chard

Yes, when you put it that way it is indeed a big expense, but everyone must live within their means. It's one of life's rules. :lol:

Our very own Mr Micawber ??? Seriously though, shooting can be a big expense, (competing at any sport isn't cheap though really) but it all varies and most of us could still get enjoyment of plinking a few cans out the back/or breaking a few clays from a hand trap in the field for next to nothing. ???

Yes, when you put it that way it is indeed a big expense, but everyone must live within their means. It's one of life's rules. :lol:

Our very own Mr Micawber ???

'My other piece of advice, Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'you know. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result - happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result - misery.'

??? ??? ???

a typical Sunday ESP reg is bad enough :lol:

£34-£40 entry depending on 100 or 120 bird

£10-£25 fuel

pool shoot £10-£15

shells £30

scoff £5 (£15 for the Essex contingent)

there goes a oner straight off the bat, then it's off to another one for a double header, ouch

yep shooting is getting very expensive imo. i remember reading about shooters doing 40,000 shots a year. no wonder they are so good. i wish i could afford to shoot that many shells a year. ive had to cut back as its just not financially viable.

its strange though how there are more vets / older shooters out there probably because they are low morgaged.

its is also quite noticable how the average gun has evolved into much more expensive items. 10-15 years ago a base model miroku browning beretta was the norm. now eveyone seems to have grade5's, dt10s, perazzis, kemens, and kreighoffs. there is a lot more money in the sport, its a shame the ground owners are fleecing everyone!

Boys, boys tch tch

Add up the cost of taking her indoors shopping, make up fancy scoff, parking fees, lunch ,wine, clothes, wear on shoes going back and forward to the same shops.................. several calming large tots, feet being run over by trolleys et all

Shooting cheap by comparison. better for the health, temper, mood fresh air, low fat diet (Non Essex only)

Worth every penny

BTMS

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones then. I no longer have a mortgage around my neck, but the huge escalation in the cost of everything over the last 18 months is making me realise I am spending now, money I can not really afford.Fuel , entries, cartridges, food, gas, electricity, rates,etc. My savings are heading to oblivion at the rate I am drawing on them. also the cost of being a member of the CPSA has leapt up alarmingly, I remember when Emilio was running around in a new Audi, every couple of years and it seemed obvious to me and most members then that money was being wasted hand over fist by the CPSA, I remember too not so long ago that they replaced all the computers at HQ and sold off the exsisting ones for pocket money, when they could have been upgraded for peanuts.I cant see a way out of this problem, Many ex CPSA members, myself included shoot some weekends at good value for money non registered grounds like The Cross, Hilton or Wergs where you can shoot 100 clays for £16.00, The only registered ground that gives good value is (in my experience) Kingsly Moor near Cheadle, Staffs,.... £22.00 birds only or £28.00 Comp. When I started clay shooting in 1993 high gun prize money then at Registered grounds was £100.00 , Its still the same now at 95% of the same grounds, I realise clays etc have gone up in price, but a lot of these registered grounds use young teenagers as refs, on the Sporting stands! at a cost about one third of a Qualified ref.. even the teenage refs are being ripped off.Ok I know many shooters who turn up in top of the rage 4X4,s have plenty of money and will keep going, but many young guys with a mortgage, a wife who is at home looking after young children, have no chance to keep shooting, I dont think its a coincident that a few grounds have been put on the market recently, as the owners can see that at the present rate of costs and greed is going to make people do something else with their time and money,

If you want to feel real pain in the entry costs department, try motorsport. I've raced for a very long time and as such am perpetually skint.

I took up golf when motorsport became too expensive for me. When golf became too expensive i started shooting again. In the next couple of year i think i'll be practicing my tiddle-winks...............

• 2 weeks later...

Passtime that is really escilating in cost is motorboating,I know rich ****** etc.Cost of fuel is rocketing as we have lost the low tax red diesel,& my boat does 3/4 of a mile to the gallon,at £5 a gallon thats about £6.66 per mile.I used to go away for 3 weeks & do 1200-1500 miles,boat has got to go.

Passtime that is really escilating in cost is motorboating,I know rich ****** etc.Cost of fuel is rocketing as we have lost the low tax red diesel,& my boat does 3/4 of a mile to the gallon,at £5 a gallon thats about £6.66 per mile.I used to go away for 3 weeks & do 1200-1500 miles,boat has got to go.

get one of those boats with big hankies to power you, wind costs nothing :)