what to buy next

you always get the feeling just one more bit of kit will make the difference. Question is... what to get?

i have the basics

12 pigeon shells

1 stealth net

but where now?

more shells

a rotary a flapper?

id like to keep spending at about a max of £100

so...: any cost efficient ideas for increasing my end of dag bag?

thanks

A shotgun Certificate,

A suitable shotgun or two,

Cartridges,

Transport to the place,

A seat,

A flask,

Trained dog,

Carry all bag,

clever answer :no:

i have all but the trained dog...

and he is only 7 months so give him a break...

i shoot at home...

its kit im worried about

Get some thing that adds a bit of movement to your set up

ie. rotary, flapper and the likes of, don't ask why but these optional extras aren't 100% effective all the time!

But it will give you that edge and on the days they do work for what ever reason you can have some really good action.

How ever you decide all the best mate, keep at um

cheers Mutley

Get some thing that adds a bit of movement to your set up

ie. rotary, flapper and the likes of, don't ask why but these optional extras aren't 100% effective all the time!

But it will give you that edge and on the days they do work for what ever reason you can have some really good action.

How ever you decide all the best mate, keep at um

cheers Mutley

:yes:;):D

rite... well im not around to shoot all the time

but we farm and have about 170 acres of arable that are filled with pigeons and about the same of permenant pasture which of course has clover....

i can do it a couple of times a week when im around maybe more... plenty of woods for roost shooting to

pair of flappers for about £100 sound reasonable?

or perhaps a rotarty which are about the same?

i always though a flapper would be more beliavable but add a bit less movement...]

all and any advice welcome

thanks in advance for the help

To some extent i agree with you Cranfield , its good to gain experiance with the basics , but on the other hand success breeds success and the use of a magnet with its potential of increasing the bag will help a beginer to become hooked on the sport.

I only took up pigeon shooting seriously 3 years ago( though I have shot for the past 40 years ). To start with I had just the basics and was happy with up to a dozen birds for a whole day in a pigeon hide and many a day just one or two birds. But what a new world opened up when I started to use a magnet. My average bag trippled and trebble figuar bags happened several times a season ( even double tons on rare occasions ). In any past time get the best you can afford is not a bad policy.

I got so hooked of pigeon shooting I go 4-5 times a week nowadays in winter.

If you haven't got it already buy John Batleys Pigeon Shooting book 2nd edition and read and digest (it took me a few reads to get it all in). Best bit of kit you can buy for less than 20 quid! Teaches you all about field craft and understanding your quarry. John Batley shot proffessionally for 15 1/2 years and gained advice from the late great Archie Coates. I am also very impressed by Chris Green' floaters at around £45 each. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Alright lads,

Im still awaiting receipt of my SGC, so havent as of yet been pigeon shooting.

I have been shooting pigeons in barns with an air rifle however this isnt quite the same, i have been in touch with firearms dept and all is fine they said with cert, just awaiting the plod to come around and inspect.

In the mean time i would like to go out and scout / reccy some land etc, how can i check for flight lines, is it basically just sit watch birds and make mental notes of where the flocks are flying / landing or is there more to it than that?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
If you haven't got it already buy John Batleys Pigeon Shooting book 2nd edition and read and digest (it took me a few reads to get it all in). Best bit of kit you can buy for less than 20 quid! Teaches you all about field craft and understanding your quarry. John Batley shot proffessionally for 15 1/2 years and gained advice from the late great Archie Coates. I am also very impressed by Chris Green' floaters at around £45 each. :good:

Save yourself some cash, I have mint copy 2nd edition available, pm if you want it.

:lol: D2D

Chris Greens flapper's are spot on id recommend them bigtime! And get some wobbleez its spelt something like that, basically a spring peg for your shells to sit on so they move in the wind in a natural pecking like manor. Just adds a bit of movement to the pattern :good: the wobbleez are only about £15 for 10 and the flapper about £45 posted I think

Chris Greens flapper's are spot on id recommend them bigtime! And get some wobbleez its spelt something like that, basically a spring peg for your shells to sit on so they move in the wind in a natural pecking like manor. Just adds a bit of movement to the pattern :good: the wobbleez are only about £15 for 10 and the flapper about £45 posted I think

they are Eezzy wobblers