Calibre Choice

HeadShotHoncho

Which Calibre Do You Prefer  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Calibre Options

I always shoot .177! I used to be a .22 man but then found I had a lot more luck with a .177 that my mate owned. I traded my .22 in and never looked back. .22 does seem to hit harder, but I found that sometimes I was mis judging range and taking a bad shot. With the .177 there is more room for error, and I get clean kills almost every time now.

People will tell you to only shoot paper until you can make good groups, but the field is a strange place. A bunny is never the same size as the last one, and grass varies in length. It can be easy sometimes to take what you think is a certain shot and get the range a little wrong. With a .177 you get away with it, but with a .22 you don't. Both will kill cleanly if you hit the mark, so use the gun that gives you the best chance of a good hit.

I can cover a 30 yard group with a 5p on the range, with either calibre. In the field things sometimes don't work out that way. :hmm:

I used to be a .22 man myself doubting the stopping power of a .177. But have learnt from owning both at the same time and being able to shoot with my dad with him using the .22 that there is not difference in the quality of the kill between either caliber. The only thing that makes the difference as stated previously is shot placement and the flatter flight of the .177 makes it the winner and boy does the .177 have stopping power ! Dads had .22 the 45 + years but is now a convert to .177 to.

:yes:

I've just bought another 0.177 rifle today.... that says it all. I had a long hard think about it and re-visited all the age old calibre arguments and decided on the smaller calibre for my PCP and my gas ram. Both are capable of consistent clean kills but in the end it comes down to how confident you feel with your calibre which probably stems from which calibre your first air rifle was and also your experiences since then.

P.S. I have also owned a PCP in 0.22 in the past so I'm not totally biased! :good:

I had a Techstar .22 doing 38ftlbs and sometimes when i hit a pigeon (or crow) with a big "WACK", it flyed away in a cloud of feathers to die 75 yards further or out of reach :welcomeani:

Now I use a hw80 .177 doing 17,5 ftlbs with H&N Barracuda and everythin drops down imediatly dead at first shot.

Had a hw97k .177 and Gamo hunter 1000 .177 in the past, same result :good:

.177 all the time (for birds AND rabbits.) :yes:

Edited by terrier

• 1 month later...

I'm a .20Cal man and if you get a good weight in pellet it will hit as hard as a .22Cal and fly flat like a .177Cal. The only drawback is the choice of pellets are limited. If your looking for a heavy weight pellet in .20Cal then the Logan penetrator is the heaviest I've found weighing in at 15.6 grains. I shoot most of the time with JSB Exact .20Cal @ 13.8 grains and with both pellets I've always had clean kills. It's all about choice guys and these are my finding as I've owned and shot all calibers except .25Cal which I've only shot and never owned.

IMHO the .20 is the best of both worlds when comparing .22Cal and .177Cal, just a shame that manufacturers have not pulled their fingers out to give us .20Cal guys a better choice of pellets....