Fly fishing meet up?

Dunkield

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be interested if dates/locations match up.

I think you have to decide first if you want to fly fish rivers, or still waters.

Rivers are harder to find, more expensive and usually harder to fish.

They are also difficult to fly fish in a social sense, as you don't want another angler within 100 yards (at least) of you.

Stillwaters are reasonably plentiful, cheaper, often contain obliging fish and more conducive to the social side.

Many are aesthetically pleasing with mature surroundings and good facilities.

Once that decision is made, a location has to be agreed.

Its probable that a different venue in each area could be suggested and then people can choose whats convenient for them.

Morning Cranfield, the TN30 fishery we spoke about would be ideal for a meet would it not?

We could show some Kentish hospitality :blush:

:D D2D

Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !! we don't want this hoi polloi tramping around our hallowed ground. :lol:

Is that an example of Kentish hospitality? :D

I think Cranfields afraid of losing the sweep for biggest/most fish :hmm:

Its a cracking little fishery and often the big championships are held there..... so I know its well stocked :lol:

Im up for a good day out if theres interest, up to a dozen no probs.

:blush: D2D

I was hoping there was somewhere close to the M25, say south of London that way the Essex boys may be tempted to leave the shire.

There is somewhere at Godstone I think, but I have no idea what it is like.

Having been to some right dumps (some that look great on the web) I wouldn't go anywhere without a recomendation.

I think I found the fishery to which you may have referred, and it looks good, it is about 2 hours drive from me though.

I was hoping there was somewhere close to the M25, say south of London that way the Essex boys may be tempted to leave the shire.

There is somewhere at Godstone I think, but I have no idea what it is like.

Having been to some right dumps (some that look great on the web) I wouldn't go anywhere without a recomendation.

I think I found the fishery to which you may have referred, and it looks good, it is about 2 hours drive from me though.

Whats 2 hrs compared with a good day out, Mung and Elvis came down in no time and they found their way in the dark :good::good:

I can seriously recomend this fishery, it operates a basket system where you can pick which fish to take and those to go back at the end of the day.

There are the sounds of steam engines choodly puffing and church bells in a natual spring fed valley, enough info Im not on commission here :good:

:good: D2D

Right I am convinced, lets say that is the venue.

Now who is up for it?

EE is a fisherman, and Mung is hoping to be - once he takes delivery of the rod I have just sold him :good:

Ok, I am sure Cranfield will not want to be left out, even if I have to show him how its done :good:

We will need 10 of us so that I can approach the fishery owner for a discount on a day ticket, there is a comfortable rest/weighing room for lunch etc.

I have a date with my surgeon on the 12th so can we go for the last week in may, by then there should be plenty of hatches/rises and I will be back in play.

I also have spare tackle for anyone who wants to have ago, but dont forget a day licence from the post office.

Mid May would be best for me, I am off abroad fishing the last weekend so a bit of practice beforehand would come in very handy.

If we are short I <may> be able to get some faces along to top the numbers up.

It sounds like a nice venue, bit worried about the 10 fish limit - what do we do in the afternoon? :good:

I also have enough tackle for about 3 people to fish if anyone needs to borrow stuff.

Edited to add:

We are talking weekend here aren't we?

Some of us still work :good:

Mid May would be best for me, I am off abroad fishing the last weekend so a bit of practice beforehand would come in very handy.

If we are short I <may> be able to get some faces along to top the numbers up.

It sounds like a nice venue, bit worried about the 10 fish limit - what do we do in the afternoon? :good:

I also have enough tackle for about 3 people to fish if anyone needs to borrow stuff.

Edited to add:

We are talking weekend here aren't we?

Some of us still work :good:

Ha Ha forgot about that small detail, Im ok apart from 12th onwards for about a week, when I shall be away with the fairies on morphine, could be either fun or a liability :good:

Apart from that anytime is fine, so just how much interest there is remains to be seen over the next few days.

Edited by dusk2dawn

I can't do 25/26th or 31st, apart from that I am currently free, and I have a + 1 already without trying too hard.

Edited to add:

Now I am home I have been reminded I can't do the 17th or 18th either.

So, in May for me that currently only leaves.

Saturdays: 10th & 24th

Sundays: 11th

And I am trying to squeeze a Bisley trip into May as well.

I need to get retired asap :good:

I dont know if Tenterden Trout Fishery allows you to block book at the weekends, perhaps D2D could check and get a price.

Choose a date and lets issue the invites, people will only respond if something firm is proposed.

We will also have to limit it to the maximum they permit, I'm not sure if thats 8 or 10.

As long as it doesn't clash with the Cup Final, or some other important football fixture I will be there.

I would be up for this, how about taking Henry D up on his offer of taking us salmon poaching :good: :good:

Nae probs, fish kettle, some herbs and black pepper................ MMmmmmmm tasty ! Just need a Salmon now and stuartp to show us his famous double spey cast :good:

D2D is looking into it, it is looking like 10/11th is that too soon?

Other than that, for me at least, it would have to be June and that filling up rapidly . .

If the end of May works for everyone else, go for that and I will catch with you next time :good:

Morning all, I have spoken to the fishery and SATURDAY 10th MAY is ok, if we turn up with 10 bodies there is a bottle of scotch for the sweepstake.

Day ticket is £26, catch up to ten retain them in the crate and select the four best fish to take home with you at the end of the day.

Please pm me if you want to be included and I will give you finalised plan later on, will be an excellent day out in good surroundings, comfortable restroom for the wimps if we have a late April shower :good:

Look forward to meeting a few more of you,

I can make the 10th and having spoken to D2D, I think that brings the total to six confirmed anglers attending.

If anyone wants to jump in (figuratively speaking of course :) ), then post on here , or PM D2D.

Places are limited, so don't delay.

Novices welcome and we can sort out some rods and reels between us if you don't have any.

Bring your own refreshments, as whilst there is a lodge there, they don't do food or drink.

This is a link to the Fishery http://www.tenterden-trout-waters.co.uk/