Shooting better with cheap gun

Chard

I'd be grateful if anybody can make any suggestions to help my current shooting situation ;)

I've only got 2 shotguns, a Beretta 682 Gold E 32" for sporting clay shooting and a Mossberg pump 30" full choked game gun that I bought for a laugh, cost me less than £200 :P

My shooting seems to have got into a bit of a rut with the Beretta, usually shoot between 75 and 82/100 at Worsley and have done for ages, can't seem to improve on it.

Every now and again, I wheel out the Mossberg for a laugh, but I shoot higher scores with it :blush::rolleyes::no: and they would be even higher, except it's a bit of a bitch on some of Worsley's simultaneous pairs - very hard to cycle the second shot quick enough :lol:

I think if I dragged 2 guns round with me and only used the Beretta on simultaneous pairs, or when more open chokes would be an advantage, I reckon I'd be in the 90's :(

I've got 2 theories :

1 - I'm more relaxed with the Mossberg, because it's just a laugh :blink:

2 - The Mossberg is a better fit than the Beretta (I've never had either gun fitted)

Any other thoughts before I drag myself and the two guns down the gunshop to be fitted?

Edited by Chard

whats barrel length of mossy

oops, just seen it.

is it crossing birds you miss with the beretta compared with the mossy?

No, not specifically crossers, I'm generally pretty good with crossers, including long ones.

I seem to be quite a careless shot, I've always said that I don't have the right temperament or concentration to be a top competitive shot. I usually drop one or two silly birds on most stands. There aren't usually any type of birds that I can't hit, I just don't straight stands. With the Mossy, I just don't seem to drop many silly shots. When I miss with the Mossy, it's usually because I'm rushing myself to get on the second bird of a simultaneous pair, or where, given the choice, I would have bunged in a skeet choke (which I can't do with the Mossy)

Edited by Chard

might be a case of trying to hard with the beretta. relax :blush:

You may be right. I usually shoot in a group of 4 or 5 and whilst we're not seriously competitive, there is a bit of needle under the surface. I can tell because I get cross with myself when I miss :blink: :no:;) and so do a couple of the other lads. I sometimes think that when I wheel out the Mossy, I'm almost saying "right lads, I'm just having a laugh this week" and it doesn't matter if I hit or miss :rolleyes:

I suppose I might have a third theory as well, which I must try out. I wonder whether cycling shells with the Mossy makes me shoot (sort of) gun down, whereas I always shoot "gun up" with the Beretta. Perhaps gun down suits me better, as it's more spontaneous (sp). I've always shot well if taken by surprise with targets, I seem to shoot instinctively much better than when I know what's coming.

Edited by Chard

Any other thoughts before I drag myself and the two guns down the gunshop to be fitted?

I am not at your level but I have been going through the same.

I took my gun to 3 people. One of whom wanted me to ruin a great gun with all sorts of weird & wonderful measurements. Two other people pointed out that I was holding the gun too far over on my shoulder & needed to concentrate more. One of the instructors I saw said that most guns fit most people.

I was out with Broken Man the other day and we both agreed that we shot better when scores werent being taken. I also shoot better with a hangover, as I care less.

I was out with Broken Man the other day and we both agreed that we shot better when scores werent being taken. I also shoot better with a hangover, as I care less.

Sometimes when I simply want to practice I don't bother with scores. I find it let's you concentrate on your shooting and technique more as you can easily become distracted by the card.

My shooting has taken a dip again but this is deffo down to me beating myself up when things go wrong. Too self critical and need to relax more :rolleyes:

Chard - interesting point about you shooting gun down with the mossy. When I'm truly relaxed I shoot gun just out of the shoulder and tend to shoot far better, yet when the score counts the butt is firmly stuck in my shoulder and I don't do so well :blush:

That's what I like about PW, plenty of food for thought, including butts on the shoulder :blush:

I'm glad it's not just me :no:

Mung, I seem to have been stale for about 18 months now :blink: I've had a load of **** on my mind, with business problems, so it might be that, I suppose.

Beretta, can I ask why you say that (leave the Mossy at home). Is it a question of find a gun and stick with it? I've never been able to make my mind up whether it's better to be able to pick up any gun and shoot well with it, or better to stick with one. I shoot with a lad who won't even take a shot with somebody else's gun, he'd rather just shoot his own (which he changes every other week) ;) :( :lol:

Bagsy, I like the idea of being able to shoot gun down, especially when a clay is a long time coming. I find that if I'm stood there, gun up, waiting for a ******* clay to turn up, especially a second bird of a pair, my attention wanders :rolleyes: and I invariably miss. I think there are other occasions where gun up is the only way. I shoot with a couple of gun down merchants and I quite often see them rushing a shot, whereas if they shot it gun up, they would have had more time. I think it helps to be comfortable with both

A 32" barrel can be a lot of swing for some guns, have you tried a 30" or 28" version ?

I started shooting with a Beretta 686 30" and I've had a pop with various other shorter guns over the last year or so, and never noticed much difference.

At the risk of sounding thick, Cranners, when you say "A 32" barrel can be a lot of swing for some guns" do you mean the sheer physical size/weight of a 32" gun? Or do you mean that a longer gun requires a different style of shooting?

I'm a fairly big bloke :no: :blink: :rolleyes: so the weight etc shouldn't bother me, but it is interesting that the Mossberg is a ridiculously light gun. A kid could shoot it, except it's a bit long. It's a 30" barrel, but overall, it's about the same length as the Beretta :blush:

:hmm: interesting to read the discusion on barrel length, i've been trying out a few recently and as someone who has just started shooting i can really notice the difference in the different length of gun, I find the 28 very snappy and hard to get a smooth swing going, i have settled on a 30 as i find i have more time as the once you get the gun moving you can focus on the clay, the gun will follow. i did try a 32 Ultra XS and really liked it, i had 2 rounds on Skeet with it, first round after just picking up the Gun i hit 23..which is now my PB, but second time round i only hit 19...i just found it too heavy (or it found me too weak :good:) i was struggling to push the gun back to get the second on the pair.

i havn't found swapping guns about has really hurt my score, only when the gun really hasn't fit well but i have certainly noticed more scores drop if my head isn't on...the brain is a great thing, if you convince it you are going to miss then you generally do!

anyone cam hit any clay but its your mind that hits 90% of them.

the better shooters think more. :good: :good: :good:

Yep, got it in one, it's all in the mind. As for those who maintain that there is a difference in handling between 28 and 30 inch barrels, consider that 2" of barrel weigh 1003 grains, and a cartridge weighs 650 grains, can you really notice the difference in weight and handling when you fire the second shot with a gun 650 grains lighter?

What about a 4-shot semi, when the difference in weight will be 1950 grains between the first and last shot? It's all in the mind!

And we won't even think about Mung's 8-shot, where the difference in weight between the first and last shot will be 4550 grains!

length of barrel is more to do with percieved lead.

you shoot a 45yrd crosser with a 28inch gun and then do the same with a 32inch.

it seems that you need less lead with the longer gun!!!

imagine shooting same target as above with a 45yrd long barrel?:good:? YES 45yrd barel.(hypathetical)

you would give it no lead. the shot would leave the barrel straight at the clay.

makes you think??? :good::good:

Left the Mossberg at home today and took the Beretta. :good:

Back to mediocrity :yes: Scored 70-something. Strange mixture of awesome skill and silly misses :lol: :yp: :lol: :lol: :lol::P:lol: :lol:

Very odd. I'm going to take them both next week and pick and choose :good: