Thread size for a shotgun cleaning rod

MC

Guys,

Maybe you can help me, ( actually a mate of mine) He is trying to make a cleaning rod for his punt gun and is trying to find out what thread size is used on a standard parker hale cleaning rod.

We have been through 100's of taps and dies this afternoon and have found some that are similar but either the male thread is too tight or vice versa.

Anyone know what thread it is?

Cheers

Martin

Webber,

Thanks for that, the closest match we found was a 5/16" BS Brass. but it was a bit slack. I reckon that it is a 9/32 x 26.

I googled it and it came up with undersized 5/16" x 27.

It is probably a thread that was dreamed up in a design meeting hundreds of years ago never to be used again.

Cheers

Martin

The threads are:

US thread, 5/16th x 27

UK 9/32" British standard Brass ( BSB) x 26 - this is a whitworth form and used on all PH rods/brushes except the 410 and rifle sizes that use a smaller BSB.

Continental is 8mm

dies from www.rdgtools.co.uk

Clayman

• 15 years later...

i recently learned British shotgun attachments and rods are 9/32-26, an odd size in North America. Brushes in this size are commonly sold on Amazon. The seller advised me to drill out the primer on an empty .357 Mag or .38 casing, tap it with said 9/32 bit and glue it onto a rod/dowel. 9/32 taps are hard to find. I drilled the centre of a 5/16 dowel with a drill that is tight for the 9/32 brush thread, filled it with a liquid adhesive that is good to join wood and medal, used small vice grips to thread in the brass threads, cutting into the wood. I let it set in a clean area for an hour, then up-ended the contraption so the adhesive flows toward the brush and will let it set for 24 hours. If I think on it, I'll let you know how it works out. It seems like a good solution with a length of 5/16 dowel selling for about $2.41 at my local big box store. It should be good for any bore down to .410 size. I hope it helps!

• 3 weeks later...

The thread size for a shotgun cleaning rod can vary depending on the manufacturer and the specific cleaning kit you have. However, a common thread size for shotgun cleaning rods is 5/16-27, which means the rod has a 5/16-inch diameter with 27 threads per inch.

It's important to check the threading on your shotgun cleaning rod and make sure it matches the threading on your cleaning accessories, such as bore brushes, jags, and patches, to ensure compatibility. If you're unsure about the thread size, you can consult the manufacturer's instructions or contact the manufacturer directly for confirmation.