Steel Vs Lead

Welcome old boy.

Long answer:

You have hit upon a favourite lament - the ever rising cost of ammunition. This has been done a few times on here (try the search thingy) if not quite to death then certainly to the point of severe ill-health. Battle is joined from time to time, with neither side willing to concede defeat. A precis:

One camp (perhaps numerically superior to it's rival) favours lead, firm in the knowledge that steel will not fracture an eggshell beyond five good paces (insufficiently dense, or some such reason). Or perhaps it is merely tradition and custom, polished and patinated by long usage. I forget, as one is apt to do at my age.

The other camp (lacking in numbers somewhat but full of vim and fizz) know that steel is just about the hottest proposition ever struck. They will assure you that 28g of no 9 steel can be used for anything, from breaking clays at 400 yards to hunting elephants and Sherman tanks. They can provide evidence of these feats.

There is a third group composed of men of subtlety and nuance, who refuse to be drawn into the hostilities. The "Swiss", as they might be called in this context, are the largest group in our little community. They come, as the bard put it, not as single spies but in battalions. This is a broad church, and their motivations are divers. However, they are most commonly to be found making some variation of the the following proclamation:

"I use any old **** that's going cheap at the club / I find in skips / I stole from the police evidence room etc."

Of course, we must not neglect the final group - the smallest but most high-spirited. Its membership changes regularly, but its philosophy is constant. It maintains that the best cartridges are either "red / green / blue ones" or "ones that go bang".

Personally, I use lead, but I am confident enough in my sporting abilities to assure you that I could miss just as efficaciously with steel. For some reason at my local place steel is met not with the Welcoming Smile but rather with the Disapproving Scowl. Unsure why.

Lastly there are misanthropic loners, who will emerge blinking into the sunlight grumbling "Anything will do as long as you point the tubes in the right direction" before shuffling back to their subterranean lairs.

Short answer:

Opinions vary. Buy a few of both, find one you like, stick with it. If it's cheap and it does the job for you, then :) .

Serious note:

I think I'm correct in saying steel is not suitable for all guns and chokes. Others on here will be able to tell you definitively.

:yes: to pw!

Robert

good post .... but one missing

there is the Camp camp...... but I don't live in that county or drive a fire engine :lol:

Once again are you a total beginner, moderate skill, pretty good or world class expert shooting at olympics level.

Because to be blunt unless you are in the last category and really relying on those tiny and I do mean tiny benefits lead will give you save your money.

Unless your gun isn't suitable for steel in which case your stuck with lead.

Welcome old boy.

Long answer:

You have hit upon a favourite lament - the ever rising cost of ammunition. This has been done a few times on here (try the search thingy) if not quite to death then certainly to the point of severe ill-health. Battle is joined from time to time, with neither side willing to concede defeat. A precis:

One camp (perhaps numerically superior to it's rival) favours lead, firm in the knowledge that steel will not fracture an eggshell beyond five good paces (insufficiently dense, or some such reason). Or perhaps it is merely tradition and custom, polished and patinated by long usage. I forget, as one is apt to do at my age.

The other camp (lacking in numbers somewhat but full of vim and fizz) know that steel is just about the hottest proposition ever struck. They will assure you that 28g of no 9 steel can be used for anything, from breaking clays at 400 yards to hunting elephants and Sherman tanks. They can provide evidence of these feats.

There is a third group composed of men of subtlety and nuance, who refuse to be drawn into the hostilities. The "Swiss", as they might be called in this context, are the largest group in our little community. They come, as the bard put it, not as single spies but in battalions. This is a broad church, and their motivations are divers. However, they are most commonly to be found making some variation of the the following proclamation:

"I use any old **** that's going cheap at the club / I find in skips / I stole from the police evidence room etc."

Of course, we must not neglect the final group - the smallest but most high-spirited. Its membership changes regularly, but its philosophy is constant. It maintains that the best cartridges are either "red / green / blue ones" or "ones that go bang".

Personally, I use lead, but I am confident enough in my sporting abilities to assure you that I could miss just as efficaciously with steel. For some reason at my local place steel is met not with the Welcoming Smile but rather with the Disapproving Scowl. Unsure why.

Lastly there are misanthropic loners, who will emerge blinking into the sunlight grumbling "Anything will do as long as you point the tubes in the right direction" before shuffling back to their subterranean lairs.

Short answer:

Opinions vary. Buy a few of both, find one you like, stick with it. If it's cheap and it does the job for you, then :) .

Serious note:

I think I'm correct in saying steel is not suitable for all guns and chokes. Others on here will be able to tell you definitively.

:yes: to pw!

Robert

Nice one Maiden (you sure that we did not meet on the back seat of a Ford Anglia once?) covers it all in one fell swoop, course it will still be a ten-pager, but there really is nothing to add to your post. Especially as everyone knows that high-brass red ones are the best, irrespective of the contents.

Does anyone know possible reasons why my local club forbids the use of steel? There are notices up that I think refer to "recent events" or something along those lines.

It's Park Lodge near Goole.

Robert

Goole eh? is'nt that the mystical yorkshire town that everyone you meet who lives there only lives outside but not with-in?

New Goole, old Goole as the terminolodgy goes

All I know is it used to a good night in the capricorn club.

After a few years working at Drax I nearly felt like a Yorkshireman?:good:?:good:

Edited by starlight32

Some clubs don't like steel due to the ricochet factor, BUT because it is a legal cartridge for competitions they are forced to allow it for competitions, which makes a farce of the rule that it can't be used.

Until the cpsa rules against steel (which I really can't see happening) Steel will be allowed at most clubs. Those that don't allow it are very short sighted, and will lose customers if the price differential opens up any more.

I've started using steel, because I'm a cheapskate. There's no difference at my level.

You need to watch the psychological bit :good:

I remember when we had to change from plastic to fibre at Worsley, I'd convinced myself that fibre was **** and my scores went down accordingly.

I've got all sorts of cartridges at the moment (all cheap) and I mix them all up in my pocket when I'm shooting - haven't got a clue what I'm firing half the time. The results are all equally awesome :yay: :yp: :D

Damn I'm hot :good:

I've actually convinced myself that steel is better for certain types of target, but my research is incomplete :hmm: due to the fact that I don't know what I'm firing half the time :lol:

I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference, if any, unless you're a top competitive shot :hmm:

"Starlight32; After a few years working at Drax I nearly felt like a Yorkshireman?? "

I trust that these carnal desires have now ceased to trouble you?

They have Bob, the affliction has passed.

My behaviour was becoming a little strange- I found I could no longer spend money anymore, and I switched from lager to real ale.

I've started using steel, because I'm a cheapskate. There's no difference at my level.

You need to watch the psychological bit :yp:

I remember when we had to change from plastic to fibre at Worsley, I'd convinced myself that fibre was **** and my scores went down accordingly.

I've got all sorts of cartridges at the moment (all cheap) and I mix them all up in my pocket when I'm shooting - haven't got a clue what I'm firing half the time. The results are all equally awesome :no::no::lol:

Damn I'm hot :good:

I've actually convinced myself that steel is better for certain types of target, but my research is incomplete :good: due to the fact that I don't know what I'm firing half the time :lol:

I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference, if any, unless you're a top competitive shot :good:

Nice one Chard, that made me laugh!

WGD

Three years ago I threw away (took to recycling bin) over 250kg* of steel (soft iron) shot, sizes 9 up to to BB; nothing wrong with it. Just had no use for it.

Wished I hadn't! :hmm:

* what was left of what I could not give away.

Edited to change to 'soft iron' and that 50-odd kilos have recently been returned to me!

FC

Edited by Floating Chamber

Being a wildfowler and a rough shooter, i may only get a handfull of shots a season(pigeons verminrabbits and clays excluded) so i want the best, so non toxic =alfamax bismuth and 3 1/2 TM magnums

Lead = anything 3 inch + that goes bang

Good Luck with the steel

Japrite