Work Party Day 2

Last Saturday was the second work party day on our syndicate.

Pheasant pen out and into water and construction of neighbouring partridge pen.

We managed to rope in the services of LV. Initially, LV didn't want to come but that all changed when we said that there was some "wading" to be done. He offered to bring his leather chaps but alas they would not repel water above the top of his thighs because he had effected some impromptu ventilation to the rear of his chaps, why we don't know. It took a good ten minutes to convince him that he could wear the rubber waders without just being in his thong or with his sleeveless string vest and rainbow coloured bandana.

LV driving the tractor - in fairness I bottled it and he did a fair job without hitting anything or shedding the load in the trailer. Apologies to the black scorpio estate driver if you are reading this.

IMAG0010.jpg

Oh yes the Yorkie bars are on you LV, all over you.

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

LV fully chapped up.

IMAG0016.jpg

LV pretending to do some work

IMAG0019.jpg

I drew the best straw and spent the day as "strimmer man". Boy how I love a stihl petrol strimmer.

Edited by Mungler

The syndicate has been going for ages but this year everything has been planned and thought through, although these things are always subject to change (trial and error).

Last year the only casualties were when half a dozen poults died because the keeper couldn't be bothered to go out that day and check the water. This year the keeper has gone and the pens have been extended (at not inconsiderable aggravation) to include a run out to water - good news, no more lugging water tanks round the farm. Bad news for LV aka Wader Boy.

Also rather than having lots of release pens, they have been reduced to half a dozen but half a dozen palatial pens (fezzys side by side partridge).

We only started taking the photos as part of the on going mickey taking and frivolity that we enjoy in the County of Essex but should have taken a full scrap book of before and after as the improvements are now quite marked.

watch the water mungler if you get a lot of poults in and out of it with mud about I think you'll have a disease problem, as well as problems with young poults drowning were anything nasty to get in the pen and chase them into it.

I do worry that some vermin might swim into your pens, namely fox, mink as I presume that you have not completed one side of the pen, and left it as a water barrier. It was only last year when the floods wiped out many gamefarms, siting your pen there might run that risk, the wet also increases disease risk. Could debris also snag onto the pen bit in the water ->drag? By siting a pen right on a river I can't help but think that it will be harder to dog birds back home when they fly to the far side.

I think the idea to reduce the number of pens is a good move, especially if the palatial ones kept are central to the shoot area, as it makes things much more efficient to manage, and I think you will find that the birds will still spread out over your land.

Teamwork there.

Again id say im not too sure whether having water built into the release pen is going to actually save you much work, firstly remember when the hot summers come that the water depth will i dare say, drop considerably.

Also, you better hope you dont get anything like gapes or anything because you will have a ****** of a time to try and treat the birds with medication. As usually ill birds would rather drink than eat, and i cant see you putting medication in the water. :lol:

Also dont forget foxes swim, along with mink n rats.

Still, Good luck with it. :lol:

Alex

Last Saturday was the second work party day on our syndicate.

Pheasant pen out and into water and construction of neighbouring partridge pen.

We managed to rope in the services of LV. Initially, LV didn't want to come but that all changed when we said that there was some "wading" to be done. He offered to bring his leather chaps but alas they would not repel water above the top of his thighs because he had effected some impromptu ventilation to the rear of his chaps, why we don't know. It took a good ten minutes to convince him that he could wear the rubber waders without just being in his thong or with his sleeveless string vest and rainbow coloured bandana.

LV driving the tractor - in fairness I bottled it and he did a fair job without hitting anything or shedding the load in the trailer. Apologies to the black scorpio estate driver if you are reading this.

IMAG0010.jpg

Oh yes the Yorkie bars are on you LV, all over you.

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

LV fully chapped up.

IMAG0016.jpg

LV pretending to do some work

IMAG0019.jpg

I drew the best straw and spent the day as "strimmer man". Boy how I love a stihl petrol strimmer.

Not too impressed with that tractor fella's. A mix of Latin American/European production. not rated a all in the Suffolk. In other words - I would'nt have that in my barn comes to mind......

I am afraid you should stick to Massey or John Dere if you want to keep street cred up.

Sorry to be over critical.

P.S Has LV let himself go a bit?:lol:??

Regards

Please rectify

As said I’d also be very surprised if you don’t have problems with that ‘run out to water’. Drowning, it’s very deep for full grown pheasants let alone poults, entrance for pests, none of who are afraid to get wet especially when after dinner, and the high probability of disease. Sure it’ll save you time and effort but at what cost? :lol:

I’d ignore Starlight’s post ... he’s just jealous as he’s still using an old Fergie (and I don’t mean she who was married to HRH) :lol:

Looks like a good laugh but like others have said,i couldnt think of a worse idea than leave it open to water !!I dont think a fox will trouble it unless starving but its like a free mcdonalds for a mink and poults will be drowning left right and centre

Lads lads lads.

That is not open water in the sense that it is a large pond outside the main farm house.

Rats are a problem, no sign of mink and foxy stays away - electric fence (not into water of course), dogs, farmer and guns and less than 20 yards away

Intrerestingly, the HSE boys maybe having the last laugh today - I have a massive series of rashes come up on my arms - I wore full face visor but had short sleeved T shirt on when strimming.

Well erm, that hog weeed I strimmed is having the last laugh - blister tastic. Fortunately they don't hurt but waking up this morning it looked like my left arm had the plague.

EDIT:

Blister-tastic

IMAG0021.jpg

And another

IMAG0020.jpg

Edited by Mungler

Mung,

What cruel ******* glued those coins to your arm ?

I hope you get better soon mate :yes:

Keep us informed of your every breath, bowel movement and cup of tea wont you..... :hmm:

LV

p.s. Starlight see my personal statement on my profile for your answer as to my weight gain. (she is a very demanding woman !) :):hmm:

Edited by LV

p.s. Starlight see my personal statement on my profile for your answer as to my weight gain. (she is a very demanding woman !)

You should have replied " i used to be skinny, but every time i pop around to see your mrs, she gives me a biscuit :yes: "

Looks like your doing a good job fellas.