another let down by the look of it!

Taff Mason

after literally months of searching for some shooting permission, and after a whole day driving around south wales knocking doors. i finally got a decent lead.

i spoke to a guy who lives in the middle of nowhere, and he said he didn't own the land and wouldn't tell me who did. but could definately get me some permission from the owner who was coming to his house later that afternoon. he also told me about all the trouble they got from kids camping up there and breaking fences and the like so i offered my services to the farmer whenever i was on leave. be that keeping the kids off or building fences or even help with the animals as im definately not afraid of hard work. all i had to do was call him at 19:00

19:00 came and i called him as requested....the phone rang for ages then i heard a voice in the background say '' just tell him im not here'' then a kid answered and said he was out and didn't know when he was coming back.

i really don't know what to now. should i call him back and run the risk of anoying him? or wait ask again in the future? or just keep looking for permission else where? he has my number now so he could call me if he needs my help with anything.

Taff Mason

why not have a ride to his place to see him you may get a supprise as a lot of people say that when they are busy ,ive said that myself somtimes when busy so if i was you have a ride in car to see him

nothing ventured nothing gained

always worth a try you never know till you try

yes we all done the tell them am busy line on the phone. :good: (i even do it to sweepy sometimes but we wont tell him that)

You never know the land owner might have been.

You have nothing to lose to chase it up again. plus it will show how eager you are to help him out .

but also dont be dishearting if it dont work out .

As something will come up if you keep trying .

Everyone gets knock backs to start of with.

But your doing the right thing by putting yourself out there.

Best of luck

xxxxsuzy

hi everyone,

cheers for all the replies. i wasn't sure what to do about it, so i left it for a while but called in again today. he said he hadn't seen the land owner yet but he'll give me a call as soon as he gets a chance to speak to him.

im still not sure weather or not to trust this guy so i've kept searching. hopfully i'll find the land owner my self.

and i've offered to help out on a 300 acre sheep farm, while im on summer leave in august in exchange for shooting. the farmer has just taken over from his dad and he is new to shooting too. we had a long chat about shooting and he said he's more into the centre fire rifle stuff so i'd be free to use the shotgun on his land.

fingers crossed it'll still be ok in august. untill then i'll just be popping away at the clays :lol:

• 1 month later...

well that didn't work out either :lol:

after working untill 21:00, running around like an idiot doing all the rubbish jobs and catching and carrying sheep to be sheered and injected, he said he hadn't got that much work done in a single day since he took over and couldn't thank me enough. but when i asked about shooting before i left he got all wierd and said he didn't really want anyone else shooting there.

i hadn't eaten since breakfast, i was covered in sweat and absolutely stinking and he had the cheek to ask when i could come back up to work. :good::hmm::D:lol: i was a little peed off to say the least.

its as if he though i was going to work for him free of charge for 3 weeks, then go back to my proper job :hmm:??? :yp:

i said i'll call him when im availible. im not sure wether to go back and hope he changes his mind but i've got a sneeky feeling i'll end up working like a dog for nothing in rtn. :lol:

i know your pain and frustrations taff, im in the exact same boat...... its getting to the point now, where if something dont come along soon, it'll all seem like a waste of time,cash and effort.... i'll keep on trying im sure, but you cant help feeling totally lost with it....no way in....

good luck with the search mate.

cheers for the advice again lads, im gonna keep knocking on doors i think. i got a few weeks off at the moment. i don't really know anyone who might take me out except an old poacher :) but i don't reaaly think thats the way to go!

all the local farms are shot by some guy called paul jennings but i can't track him down. to be honest i'd be willing to pay for a little bit of regular shooting.

el-chimbo has kindly offered me a shoot wednesday night!!!! i have to travel quite a bit for it and its only a one off, but i can't wait.

Edited by Taff Mason

Dont give up, just keep trying and if needed go further a field if you can.

We (FIL & Me) have just got our 2nd permission which is a bit of a wierd set-up as it is shared with Two other guns.

We are there by the permission of the land Manager who through a friend of a friend allowed us to shoot on his land.

Got to admit it is a good size so we should not bother one another, but we got this from just chatting to someone who called in a favour for us.....it aint what you know, its who you know.

Just keep at it, when i have had a knock back i just leave my details you never now what could happen, i think i m ight get some cards done soon, so it looks a bit more professional.

Good luck im sure you will find something in Wales

well that didn't work out either :hmm:

after working untill 21:00, running around like an idiot doing all the rubbish jobs and catching and carrying sheep to be sheered and injected, he said he hadn't got that much work done in a single day since he took over and couldn't thank me enough. but when i asked about shooting before i left he got all wierd and said he didn't really want anyone else shooting there.

i hadn't eaten since breakfast, i was covered in sweat and absolutely stinking and he had the cheek to ask when i could come back up to work. :good::good::P:blush: i was a little peed off to say the least.

its as if he though i was going to work for him free of charge for 3 weeks, then go back to my proper job ??? ??? ???

i said i'll call him when im availible. im not sure wether to go back and hope he changes his mind but i've got a sneeky feeling i'll end up working like a dog for nothing in rtn. :hmm:

Taff, go back up there and hand him an invoice for a days labour... £30 per hour should cover it :good:

well that didn't work out either :hmm:

i hadn't eaten since breakfast, i was covered in sweat and absolutely stinking and he had the cheek to ask when i could come back up to work. :good::good::P:blush: i was a little peed off to say the least.

its as if he though i was going to work for him free of charge for 3 weeks, then go back to my proper job :hmm:??????

i said i'll call him when im availible. im not sure wether to go back and hope he changes his mind but i've got a sneeky feeling i'll end up working like a dog for nothing in rtn. :good:

That may well have been a test of your gumption.

1st sign of a knock back and you dissapear, that could be what he is thinking so why not give it a bit longer and learn about about Sheep farming?

Just a thought.

LB

if you drive go further a feild i found a farm 30 mile away from me with plenty of shooting on it and i only share it with a labouer on the farm great shooting .i now have 4 farms and dont want anymore its enough trying to get round them . i hear some lads have as many as 30 farms how do they keep all them farmer's happy ? beyound me

1st sign of a knock back and you dissapear, that could be what he is thinking so why not give it a bit longer and learn about about Sheep farming?

Just a thought.

LB

i think you might be right but, i can't get back at the moment because my old nan is at deaths door and i've been at the hospital for the last 2 days. i've called him explaining why i've not been back, he seems ok.

when everything is sorted i'll go up again. but im still gonna keep looking,

as allways, got some good advice from you guy's. and as big_noel says im going to try a bit further a field

Any wildfowling clubs in your area? I know its not pigeon shooting but at least you`ll be moving in shooting circles and some clubs do actually have inland shooting.

Nick.

yes mate, one that i know of. i've been in touch with them but they don't have any spaces availible this year.

BUT...they did say to call them in september and i might get to tag along on a flight or two. so i'll definately be looking into that.

well that didn't work out either :no:

i hadn't eaten since breakfast, i was covered in sweat and absolutely stinking and he had the cheek to ask when i could come back up to work. :good::lol:;):D i was a little peed off to say the least.

its as if he though i was going to work for him free of charge for 3 weeks, then go back to my proper job ?????????

i said i'll call him when im availible. im not sure wether to go back and hope he changes his mind but i've got a sneeky feeling i'll end up working like a dog for nothing in rtn. :no:

Just a thought.

LB

He's welsh mate, he knows all about sheep . . . . inside and out!!!! :lol: