Wild Boar

Traztaz

Thought I would share with you a couple of pictures of my first ever Keiler (The name we give to very large male wild boar here in Germany).I really never thought I would have the oppertunity to shoot a Keiler as they are much prized by shoot owners, and very very expensive to shoot on Federal land(belongs to the German Forestry Commision).

It all came about completely by chance,I had called a very god friend of mine to ask if it was possible to try and cull a pig on his ground as I wanted to have a party to say goodbye to the lads from my current regiment as I move onto a new one.Rolf the game keeper readily agreed that I could come down and try my luck , and the two of us agreed to meet and go for a daytime stalk (probably the hardest method to shoot pig as they are massivly intelligent,have great eyes and ears and an awsome sense of smell).

The plan was to try and locate a sounder of pigs and singlr out a small frischlinge (Piglet) or an Uberlaufer (2 year old) with a carcass weight of anywhere between 40 and 60 kg.Its very very hard to get within the sounder as the large females stand guard/watch around the edged with the younger protected within the ring of wisdom.Large males only travle with a sounder during the mating season , december through febuary time, and spend the rest of the year traveling alone.The sounder will have a lead female also who is the most experienced and oldes one and she is instantly obeyed by the sounder with her decisions, so if she gets wind of you the whole lot are gone in seconds.

Rolf and I stalked some very thickly wooded and hilly terrain for almost 3 hours , spotting ocasional pig here and there but never managing to get either within shooting range or seeing a shootable beast.

As we enterd the fourth sweaty hour of stalking I rounded a corner and oh my God there was a Keiler!!As I looked on in amazement Rolf whisperd to me "if you want him he's yours"...........WOW!!Then the thought hit me , how much??My wife would kill me if I came home with a thousand euro bill!!Rolf must have heard the cogs turning in my head and he whisperd, "we came to shoot a smaller pig , you can have him as an 80kg pig"

WHATTTT HAD I JUST HEARD???, safety off, steady the rifle,slowly breath( Very difficult as my heart was going like a train) find the shoulder, settle on the boiler room and squeez.

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!, the remmington .308 slapped back into my shoulder sending the 180 grain bullet on its path, reload fast, continue to observe the pig , its big very big , its dangerous , they can and do kill people.

The pig leapt forward,hurling up dirt from under its hoofs,my god the power, the speed , is my shot true??Should I hit him again ??He has gone 15 meters in a straight line like an arrow from a bow , tracking him in the sight , do I shoot again???The responsibility of going and finding and despatching him is mine if I have wounded him , and he is going to be as mad as hell and even more dangerous..........to shoot again or not??He is turning, its a 180 degree turn, and he has made it back to the big bushes he was standing by as I shot him , the decision of weather or not to whack him again has been taken from me as the cover is so thick I can't see him anymore!!I watch the bushes rattling away as this runaway train smashes his way through them , ................should I have shot again?

Then about 20 meters in I see the bushes are shaking like mad but only in the one spot.He is down!!He is writing the final will, THANK GOD!!

I look at Rolf who has the biggest grin in the world on his fave , "I did it Rolf.I shot a Keiler!!"

We decide to take 5 before going into the bushes just incase,smoke a ciggarette,realise I have acheived a dream,still very nervous about going into the bushes and decide to go and check the spot he stood as I shot him for blood sign, and am very very pleased to find lots and lots of very pink lung shot sign.

This is it then into the bushes, remove the glass from my rifle as open sights are better at close range on a charging keiler should he not be as dead as I pray he is!!

Into the bushes, heart pounding , step on as many small sticks as I can because if he is going to charge I want him to do it as early as possible so I have as much warning as possible.

No charge, and as I make my way following the blood trail very slowly my confidence builds untill I eventually see the Keilers flank , no movement, YIPPPPEEE HE IS DOWN AND I HAVE SHOT MY FIRST KEILER!!

To cut a long story shorter, he weighed in before gralloch at a little under 160Kg and 130 Kg gralloched , and was a nighmare to get out of the bushes with only two of us and in the end we went and borrowed a tractor with a front loader on it , what an experience and a day I will never forget , the tusks have measured in at 17 cm and my friend a taxidermist is making me a head and shoulder mount, will post some pics when that is done.

Happy happy hunter here!!

Just as soon as I work out how to post some pictures I will put some up.

post-11046-1215332139.jpg

That's a great write up traztaz, thankyou for sharing it with us. That Boar looks pretty big, I'd have been pretty scared when going into the bushes to look for him. Getting him at a cheap price, that's very good of your friend. You're not going to go hungry at the party are you :rolleyes:

well done m8 looks like a nice sized bore, we have them in Canada aswell i belive we have a russian/siberian bore i belive that were introduced to North america when Alaska was part of Russia before the USA, although i have never seen them i would like to hunt them some day,aswell i noticed you are from Germany my fathers side of the family are from southern Germany Austria and Switzerlandand i think the Czeck REP aswell my last name is Vogt area of Germany known as Vogtland i believe, anyway, i have many pins and badjes that were my uncles when he belongd to a hunting/schutzen club in Austria, i would love to visit that part of the world some day looks like a beautiful place, we are all very diverse back grounds here in Canada as my mothers family is from Ireland,Scotland,whales and even Hungary, and my wifes family are north american Indian and Ukrainian so what does that make my kids :blink: :o :angry::lol::lol: =Canadian i guess :D

Traztaz, been looking again at the pictures, and i can see three homes over looking the last picture with the boar strung up. Here we'd have a bobby or animal welfare officer knocking on the door within half an hour, because some idiot with blikners on would have disagreed with what you where doing.

How is the mood in Germany with the public and what your doing?

The acceptance of hunting in Germany is overpowerlingly ok!!There are and will allways be treehuggers and antis but nothing like the aggro I have seen in the UK.Hunting in Germany is a very organised, licenced and cultural affair.We have alot of game here, especially pigs , and they cause ALOT of crop damage.

I have been placed when driving pigs from Maiz fields adjecant to if not on a road, just be aware, watch for cars , bikes kids etc and all is fine(THIS IS IN RURAL AREAS NOT CITIES!)

Check this link,

This is the end of a typical maize drive on a farmers ground where things are not so formal but where tradition of congratulating the successfull hunters is honoured.................its in his front garden and there hang the animals, normal here.

What should I say , I think we have it better here, andare allowed as gun owners and hunters to proove that we are responsible.

Could/wold this not work ever in the UK??

The acceptance of hunting in Germany is overpowerlingly ok!!There are and will allways be treehuggers and antis but nothing like the aggro I have seen in the UK.Hunting in Germany is a very organised, licenced and cultural affair.We have alot of game here, especially pigs , and they cause ALOT of crop damage.

I have been placed when driving pigs from Maiz fields adjecant to if not on a road, just be aware, watch for cars , bikes kids etc and all is fine(THIS IS IN RURAL AREAS NOT CITIES!)

Check this link,

This is the end of a typical maize drive on a farmers ground where things are not so formal but where tradition of congratulating the successfull hunters is honoured.................its in his front garden and there hang the animals, normal here.

What should I say , I think we have it better here, andare allowed as gun owners and hunters to proove that we are responsible.

Could/wold this not work ever in the UK??

Thanks Traztaz, very inforative. i wish whilst living in Germany and other parts of the world i'd taken the time, to take part in events and get familier with other sporting cultures. Enjoy.

Congratulations !

A keiler is indeed a rare thing to shoot. So well done ! :crazy:

Pity they do not taste as good because of the testosteron. During "rutting" season a shot big male wildboar (keiler) which is in heat can not hang next to other meat. It will transfer its foul taste onto the other carcasses.