Pro's & Con's of the CPSA

Yep, GB's hit the nail on the head.....this one's been done to death already on this forum, if you want to shoot serious clays in competition, you must join the CPSA, if you're a fortnightly "straw bale" merchant, then don't bother, just make sure your household insurance covers you for shotgun sports, 'cos if you accidently zap one the trap monkeys with a number 7.5 through the left eyebrow, you will need good insurance cover.. :good:

Cat.

Well...they organise them, through "Registered" grounds that have been approved in terms of target quality and safety, basically, they set the standards.

As I said earlier, the choice is a simple one, if you want to represent your County, Area, or, ultimately your Country (England..hopefully..??), in the sport that you love, you've gotta be a CPSA member, it's that straightforward.

Cat.

Yes, but it's the same within BASC, and they've effectively disowned themselves from the grubby sport of clay shooting.

So where else do you go....answers on a postcard please..??

OK, the CPSA are not perfect.............., but, you need to be a member to change things, join up, get yourself on the local committee and force through the changes that you want, that's the best way to make things happen.

Cat.

if you accidently zap one the trap monkeys with a number 7.5 through the left eyebrow, you will need good insurance cover.. :good:

Cat.

Are you kidding. By the looks of the type of lads who work the traps

where I shoot they would wear the lead in their eyebrow like a piece

of jewellery. :lol:

Cheers taz.

The Claysporting lot complain about everything.

To the claybuster wanting to progress from the strawbales then there is nothing wrong with the CPSA at all. The mag is ok, and the web site keeps track of your results and of everyone that was on the shoot with you so it's easy to compare where you are. I have no complaints at all.

Also I feel morally obligated to support any gun sport as it's always under attack by somebody, and defending or improving it costs time and money, a £50 sub to CPSA and a £72 sub to BASC (though I only ever shoot clays) is the minimum I can do to help.

Edited by Peter De La Mare

Do BASC really charge £72 per year, how outrageous..!!

No wonder they have more than a few disgruntled members.

Cat.

I sincerely hope not, last year I paid £43, that's one hell of a hike if it really is £72

The CPSA are quite harmless at the normal shooters level. I joined for the insurance and I'm starting to shoot the odd registered comp. At higher competition level, there seems to be the odd frustration with them, but as Peter has correctly said, there is a lot of elitist whining on Claysporting. They spend their entire time massaging each others egos and complaining about the CPSA and most shooting grounds :lol::lol::lol: . It amazes me that they still have time to shoot ???

I think the rule of thumb is Clay shooting - CPSA, Game shooting - BASC. If you do both, it depends whether you want to clay shoot at competition level.

as Peter has correctly said, there is a lot of elitist whining on Claysporting. They spend their entire time massaging each others egos and complaining about the CPSA and most shooting grounds :lol::lol::lol: . It amazes me that they still have time to shoot ???

I'd agree with that, there's only one guy on that forum who talks any sense, and that's "Smoker", he obviously knows his stuff, shame he doesn't post on this forum.

Cat.

I'd agree with that, there's only one guy on that forum who talks any sense, and that's "Smoker", he obviously knows his stuff, shame he doesn't post on this forum.

Cat.

Oh yeah I'd heard "Smoker" is Phil Boakes' pseudonym on Claysporting.

Cat.

Oh yeah I'd heard "Smoker" is Phil Boakes' pseudonym on Claysporting.

Oh dear, she's still around...........I thought she'd gone back to her native Birkenhead. ???

Cat.

I fell out with the CPSA after they tried to drop the word "pigeon" from their title and replace it with "target"......i voted against and it worked, very poor voting turnout though.

They were trying to disassociate themselves from "live" shooting but when i asked why they were advertising that they would be attending the major gamefairs which would have been in my opinion attended by "live game" shooters they wouldnt answer!!!

I then asked if i could drop to clubman membership as i no longer shoot registered competitions but would have liked to stay a member, they replied no its not allowed but said i could lapse my membership and rejoin after a year as a clubman member. Crazy that they were prepared to lose a member rather than just drop me to clubman status.

Nope they wont get anything else from me

National Gamekeepers Organisation is my choice now.....cheaper than cpsa and basc if its insurance your after

Shaun

The CPSA is delegated the authority to be the NGB ( National Governing Body) of domestic clay target shooting in England by British Shooting ( formerly GBTSF - GB Target Sports Federation).

The sports council does not distinguish between the various shooting sports, and officially recognises British Shooting as the NGB, but this is in itself not a members organisation, and it has several membership bodies affiliated to it who run the championships and deal with the rankings etc. These include the other clay bodies, ie Wales / Scotland / NI as well as the other disciplines, Rifle, small bore, etc.

So, if you want to shoot clays at domestic level in England, CPSA is the organising body - however it is not the only choice for competition clays. International bodies like FITASC and ISSF also run competitions, and there are American NASSA competitions. There are also some independent international ranking systems and some UK grounds running competitions under their rules.

Lastly, there are a number of competitions / championships independently run of the CPSA by shoot organisers, some of which have serious prizes and attract top shots.

So, it is possible to shoot fully organised competition and get rankings outside the CPSA, but in practice most who do are CPSA members anyway as its still the mainstream of clay competition in England.

Edited by clayman

I fell out with the CPSA after they tried to drop the word "pigeon" from their title and replace it with "target"......i voted against and it worked, very poor voting turnout though.

They were trying to disassociate themselves from "live" shooting but when i asked why they were advertising that they would be attending the major gamefairs which would have been in my opinion attended by "live game" shooters they wouldnt answer!!!

I then asked if i could drop to clubman membership as i no longer shoot registered competitions but would have liked to stay a member, they replied no its not allowed but said i could lapse my membership and rejoin after a year as a clubman member. Crazy that they were prepared to lose a member rather than just drop me to clubman status.

Nope they wont get anything else from me

National Gamekeepers Organisation is my choice now.....cheaper than cpsa and basc if its insurance your after

Shaun

ditto

as did plenty of others

i went to the countryside alliance similar to basc except cheaper.