Shotgun Licence application.

nickb

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Applied for my SGC 23/6/09 with humberside firearms still waiting for my cert with no end in sight everytime i ring its something new why its not been done, i dont mind them doing checks to weed out unstable or dangerous applicants were guns are involved but they had my previous apllication on there computers which was granted ok they have all my medical records and seen FEO as well as phoning my countersigner but still no joy.

I live in Thames Valley they are not too bad , my local firearms officer is very helpful ,and will always try and speed things up, I also have a Black powder (acquire only) which has to be done every year witch is a bit of a pain. It is a bit of lottery were you live, it should only take a couple of weeks at the most ,if you complain, I feel they might take longer after all Gun ownership in the UK is a contentious issue. It should not be, but it is.

Edited by farm boy

Just had contact with humberside firearms been granted a my SGC its been sent to police station were my gun cabinet is for them to check security as they did not check it when FEO came round as its at parents address at least i know i got it just waiting for police to ring to have a look at cabinet.

I sent my application off 2 weeks ago tomorrow (13th Oct) - thats makes it the 30th Sept and no word yet from them - Norfolk Police. When I spoke to a friendly lady at the Firearms department she told me the officer who does my area was on his hols in Italy and gave me his mobile number to phone him on when he's back - which should have been today I believe.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and just see if it's arrived.

I fitted the cabinet at the weekend to the party wall in the "cupboard under the stairs", 4 bolts in the wall (dense concrete block) and two into the floor. it's located in a corner as well so hopefully this should cover all bases.

Itching to get buying now as my rifle (S400) has gone now :hmm::lol:

Hopefully it'll all go smoothly from now if he is back in the country. :lol:

Edited by burntout

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Update from India.

for the common man-

You apply.

wait for some time -.... yawn..... if you are lucky in a month the papers start moving and then goes to the local Cops, after a few visits from them and lots of questions and almost getting interrogated from there it goes to the ACP from there to DCP from there to the Commissioners office.

All thru these there is no guarantee that your license will be granted at all. It might be rejected at any stage if they have the slightest doubt.

To apply you must have a valid reason - Sports is not considered a vaid reason (open to interpretation)

Self defence - have you been threatened / abducted / etc (prove it)

business man, etc

If you apply for a shotty then your chances of getting it with a valid reason are pretty good.

for any rifle your chances go down by 50%

for any handgun your chances of getting it are 10% :-)

If you stay in a city or metro then your chances further diminish.

Mine took a whole 9 months to get sanctioned.

Once sanctioned the search begins - its been yet another 6 months and i still haven't been able to find a decent DBBL shotty.

local ones are heavy and unreliable.

Any imported weapon - no matter how old is sold for an exorbitant price.

Recently i heard of a lyon and lyon london and calcutta 12 guage DBBL hammer gun being sold for approx - 750GBP (converted from Indian Rupees) and the condition of which isn't very bright either.

To make matters worse - Hunting is banned here since 1974 so the only things we can shoot legally are Crows and rats - yep not even pigeons or pigs.

/s/

Hi Guys

I need some help

I have applied for my shotgun certificate with the essex police.

As usual they are taking ages, been 2 weeks and i have herd nothing and im screaming at the phone for him to ring so i can get my gun.

I have just moved house and well my new house is a timber structure with breeze blocks on as the outside walls. But i have just purchased my new gun cabinet a brattonsound RD5 so i can put my air rifle in there with my shotguns.

I cant attatch it to the breeze blocks because my whole house has plasterboard with about a 10 inch gap between the blocks and the plasterboard.

I finally decided after long thinking i thought the best place would be in my bedroom, where its warm, out of site and i spend most of my time in there.

So i mounted it laying down on the floor with 4 coaching screws with washers screwed to the floor board in my wardrobe.

Does anyone see any reason why John Hopes my local firearms officer would see any reason for rejecting it. I have tried the good old test of giving it a good old yank and i cant move it and once he has okayed it, i will be having carpet put round it so they cant see the wood.

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks guys

Hi Guys

I need some help

As usual they are taking ages, been 2 weeks and i have herd nothing and im screaming at the phone for him to ring so i can get my gun.

I have just moved house and well my new house is a timber structure with breeze blocks on as the outside walls. But i have just purchased my new gun cabinet a brattonsound RD5 so i can put my air rifle in there with my shotguns.

I cant attatch it to the breeze blocks because my whole house has plasterboard with about a 10 inch gap between the blocks and the plasterboard.

I finally decided after long thinking i thought the best place would be in my bedroom, where its warm, out of site and i spend most of my time in there.

So i mounted it laying down on the floor with 4 coaching screws with washers screwed to the floor board in my wardrobe.

Does anyone see any reason why John Hopes my local firearms officer would see any reason for rejecting it. I have tried the good old test of giving it a good old yank and i cant move it and once he has okayed it, i will be having carpet put round it so they cant see the wood.

Thanks guys

Give the guy a call and see what he thinks. The stipulation about rawl bolting to an external wall will not be do-able for everyone and in your case you have probably gone for the strongest fixing option. I don't see why, given your circumstances, he won't OK it!

Hi Guys

I need some help

Thanks guys

everything you could possibly need to know can be found here Home Office Guidance. Read chapter 19 as it covers this issue in depth.

It's a fair amount of reading but the general jist is either a solid, i.e. dense concrete block party wall or concrete floor with 4 bolts and suitable plugs such a rawl, or 65mm long 9.5mm dia. screws into floor / wall joists.

Floor boards can be easily removed with a breaker bar or long screw driver so they may not be happy with this unless you mount into the joists.

Be patient :whistling:

Edited by burntout

i could tell you how long but am still waiting, so far been 8 weeks. but do have interveiw on tuesday but got to write out a cv with a lot of information in. see my resent post. i'am law abidding english i work have afamily and still they want to know even the names of my kids and the missus work details and history.

• 3 weeks later...