The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

Well, given how well my Numex Twighlight plants at work are doing (Thanks Mr. DFish!), I thought I would add to the flock as it were and got myself a couple of additions the other week. Work now has an F1 Cheyenne and a Scotch Bonnet plant on the windowsill.

I've also added some more seeds to the armoury at home, with a new planting of some F1 Joe's Long (quite hot) and some Serrano chillis that a mate of mine got in a very odd book o' matches like affair from a restaurant called Wahaca the other week. The two lots are in a seed tray with a cover on in the greenhouse and should be coming up in the next fortnight. From then it's just a bit of a wait until they come up.

But... I have plans in place to get a lean-to greenhouse put up on a lovely south facing wall in the garden, so I should be able to carry on growing through the winter.

Oh yes, as for the Numex Twighlights... I've been harvesting a few here and there as they go red (lovely fruit... First green, then purple, then yellow, then orange then red) and I can say that they are hot stuff. We put four of them in a stir fry the other night for my dad (only little ones) and it was gooooood. Then Mrs. Wookie put two in a huge saucepan of beetroot soup and it was too hot for her to eat. I of course had seconds and third and can confirm that they are very nice.

Going back to work though, a mate of mine from Indonesia has a small forest in his part of the office and is harvesting now. If anyone wants some seeds, I'll have a word with him and see if I can get some from his next crop. I'll make them mixed, but I think he has Jalapeno, some longer Thai chillis and some very nice purple ones. Photos to come when I can find the cable for the camera. If you want seeds, let me know.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just found this thread... and what a random find it is :no:

I have a dozen or so Dorset Naga seeds in a polythene bag in my freezer: any tips on these? More to the point, are they actually any good for anything other than homemade MACE?

I know this is a tad naughty but !!! Take one to the pub with you and when your mate goes to the toilet split the chillie and rub it around the top of his pint ,watch his face when he has a drink ,first you will see him start licking his lips ,then he will ask if your pint TASTES ok then he will start swearing ( like F------ Hell my lips are on fire )lastly he will start drinking like a fish and so it starts all over again......

Don`t think there will be a prob, I have some that were planted in early spring with flowers and some that were planted last month and they are going well.

I don`t think your "mate" will lose out, just remember that with pruning you will get a lovely crop next spring too !!

Don`t think there will be a prob, I have some that were planted in early spring with flowers and some that were planted last month and they are going well.

I don`t think your "mate" will lose out, just remember that with pruning you will get a lovely crop next spring too !!

I've grown Chillis for the last 3 years and didn't know you could prune them to grow back next year! I wondered how people grew chilis so early in the year and had massive plants. Mine are always from seeds planted in Feb-March time. LOL. I have 10 or so plants this year, I will be keeping them over the winter in the green house this time.

Thai long reds and Apaches as well as a few Prairie fire for me. I planted a few mixed seeds that I had saved up aswell, so I'm not sure what they will end up as.

Smig,

Your seeds are going out today when I get to the post office, so you should have them on Monday. Have fun with them! The instructions on this thread for germination are spot on.

If anyone else wants any seeds, I have three packets of mixed seeds left and, if you let me know in the next hour, I can get them posted out today as well.

Wookie

• 2 weeks later...

Having suddenly remembered that I now own a mobile with a camera on it (bless that man Steve Jobs and his iPhone 3Gs!), I decided I would post some piccies of some of my chilis at work. So, gentlemen and ladies, I give you (courtesy of Mr. Jim D Fish), three of my six Numex Twilights:

3671625126_731a39948d.jpg

(ok, part of the three!)

And also my F1 Cheyenne hybrid (courtesy of my local garden center):

3670818025_692202bb07.jpg

I will try and take piccies of the scotch bonnet, the remaining three Numex Twilights and the Jalapeno in due course/

Having suddenly remembered that I now own a mobile with a camera on it (bless that man Steve Jobs and his iPhone 3Gs!), I decided I would post some piccies of some of my chilis at work. So, gentlemen and ladies, I give you (courtesy of Mr. Jim D Fish), three of my six Numex Twilights:

3671625126_731a39948d.jpg

(ok, part of the three!)

And also my F1 Cheyenne hybrid (courtesy of my local garden center):

3670818025_692202bb07.jpg

I will try and take piccies of the scotch bonnet, the remaining three Numex Twilights and the Jalapeno in due course/

Wookie,

How old are the plants in the pictures?

That's a good question. The Numexes are probably about seven or eight months old, I raised them in a propagator, then brought them into work when they were about three inches tall. The Cheyenne is quite young, call it about 4 months.

One thing is for certain though, they love the office. As long as they have enough water, the constant temperature and sunlight makes them grow like nothing else.

That's a good question. The Numexes are probably about seven or eight months old, I raised them in a propagator, then brought them into work when they were about three inches tall. The Cheyenne is quite young, call it about 4 months.

One thing is for certain though, they love the office. As long as they have enough water, the constant temperature and sunlight makes them grow like nothing else.

All of my plants are outside, currently getting battered by rain one day, then roasted by the sun the next.

They are mostly Apaches, the Thai long reds didnt seem to do every well this year for some reason. There are also some suprize chilis, as I have no idea what the seeds were when I planted them. I'll know in a few weeks though. They are around 5 months old, propagator grown to get a headstart.

Mine are all around 10-12" tall and most have chilis on them now. I'm going to move one or two back into the kitchen, as they seem to do well in there, but they are getting a bit big for that. If I could, I would bring them into my office at work, but that's not going to happen :hmm:

I have a few that don't seem to want to go past 4", but I don't have the heart to kill them off, so they are sitting on a window ledge in the hope that they grow some fruit.

Get those small ones inside on a windowsill! I had a problem with one of my Numexes like that, and as soon as it came inside it started flourishing.

This is how bad things have got now... I have three more packets of seeds at home that are waiting to be planted in seed trays, and I am planning on building a large lean-to greenhouse on a south facing wall so that I can get them going and keep them growing all year round.

The jalapenos are going to get pickled and the Tabasco ones (when they come up, will get turned into a spicy sauce I think...

• 2 weeks later...

not sure what the one in fruit is last year was the first time i had grown chillies i grew that one and a jalapeno .this year i have 5 differant ones on the go jalapeno, prarie fire ,hot stuff, inferno, and tropical heat <_<

What am I doing wrong then, I'm still stuck at the 'green' stage on both scotch bonnet and birds eye chilli plants? Should I be feeding them tomato feed or summat?

A lovely number of fruits but boy is it taking time to ripen, they're on the kitchen windowsill, nice and bright all day long.

What am I doing wrong then, I'm still stuck at the 'green' stage on both scotch bonnet and birds eye chilli plants? Should I be feeding them tomato feed or summat?

A lovely number of fruits but boy is it taking time to ripen, they're on the kitchen windowsill, nice and bright all day long.

you need to be patient they will turn in time :yes: i feed mine with baby bio once a week when fruits are on

• 1 month later...