The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

You need to click on the "Embed" box on youtube etc. and copy it.

Then when replying click on the bottom "Quick access" box that says "Insert:YouTube" and paste it in the context box when it comes up

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

like that?

You know, I thought this thread, and the PW's love of chilis, had died a death over winter! Luckily, I was mistaken.

Those two guys... Idiots. Brave idiots mind you, but still idiots.

NEWS!!!

I now have a lovely "grown from seed" Dorset Naga plant on the windowsill at work. Currently only about 10cm tall, but it is growing well and loving the office. However, I've decided to expand the plantation here in the office, and so I have planted out a selection of Hungarian Hot Wax, Padrone, Tabasco and Fresno seeds. On checking on them today, I noticed that they have started to germinate!

I'm now trying to think of way that I can subtly keep them in the office without arousing too much suspicion. The current favourite is to take over a filing cabinet, run grow lamp cables up the inside and use two shelves for seed trays and pots. My idea of taking the back off and putting it up against a window was shouted down by the other chili growers here.

like that?

That is ******* hilarious!

• 3 weeks later...

I only just planted my seeds last week, got them in the kitchen window in one of those plastic lid things.

I must of planted a good few Maritus chilly seeds, so fingers crossed i may get some good ones this year :rolleyes:

As soon as they start to shoot i will put some pics up, might even be able to post a couple off at some point,

Constant temperature and light are the key things from what I have seen. That's why I do my germination at work with a propagator on a south facing window. I think it was Mungler that recommended wrapping the seed trays in clingfilm, and that works as well.

By the way, I think I am addicted... To growing them. Picked up a pack of "Black Pearl" yesterday to add to my chilli seedbank, and saw a good book specifically about growing them. Looks like I might be treating myself...

• 2 weeks later...
Mine are actually starting to grow :unsure:

Planted a fare through seeds so i should get something in return..

Now for the Techie question, how long do i leave them in the window box before i have to re-pot into single pots etc

When they get the second set of leaves on them(as with wookie above) or if you see the roots at the bottom of the tray/pot.

Yup. That's the main reason I use the peat pots and not normal seed trays; you can just see the roots coming through and then just pot them out without disturbing anything.

I can't recommend those propagators enough though. This year I have had an insignificant number of seeds that have failed to germinate because of them. They are a godsend, and very cheap too. But... I did choose the "gravel tray" lower parts (no drain holes) and then line it with tin foil to reflect the heat. Add one sunny window and you have a lovely humid atmosphere!

One thing I did notice though was that the first few hours outside the propagator after potting out saw the little things curl up their outside leaves. I'm pretty sure this is because they were feeling the cold, so I made them an individual greenhouse out of half a 2 litre coke bottle.

Just totted up my plants at work:

6 Numex Twilight plants

1 Scotch Bonnet

1 Cheyenne hybrid

1 Dorset Naga

4 recently repotted plants of assorted varieties (possibly Tabasco)

My plan is to take over spare space in other offices in our building and get at least one plant from each of the eight new varieties I have growing currently going to full plants, possibly more than one if I can. If I can persuade the guy at the end (south east/southwest facing office, two windows) to take on a strawberry planter so that I can get five or so plants going in his room.

Then I just need to get a greenhouse on the roof and I am sorted.

ok, ive now got about 30 Naga, tabasco and cayenne seedlings sprouted. at what stage should i seperate them? at the mo they are about 1 inch tall. did somebody on here say wait till the second set of leaves have come through? :yes:

Mine are now up and running. They had a slow start and took 3 to 4 weeks to germinate even on a hot window cill above a radiator and wrapped in cling film.

Mungler's top tips:

1. the key to growing anything is cling film.

2. sow into individual small plant pots (and wrap with cling film) or use seed trays that have individual cells (again wrap in clingfilm).

For those of you who have sown seeds in mass into a seed tray, thinning them out is a real pain in the harris and if you leave it too long the roots become entangled and when you go to replant you disrupt the roots and retard their growth by about 3 weeks.

Photos to follow.

1-1.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Mungler

• 3 weeks later...

right girls, ive got about 20 mixed seedlings from my first batch. if anybody wants some, come and get em :unsure: ive taken the best of the group and the 20 are doing well, but will need to be re-potted soon. dont mind sending em, but at your cost as its going to be a sod to do. :hmm:

ok, these are going spare.plants002.jpg

and these are mine :hmm:plants003.jpg

i stripped out a couple of Bird Eye chillis about 4 or 5 weeks ago. didnt think they would germinate, so decided to bin them yesterday. as i picked the pots up, i noticed they had sprouted. :hmm:

plants001.jpg

Edited by MM