The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

I'm a noob too but have noticed that if you leave a ripe chilli on the plant too long it starts to soften to the touch and the skin also starts to wrinkle. Even on the same plant I have ripe chillis of differing sizes, so size doesn't seem to be a particularly good gauge for me anyway.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first attempt at growing chillies was a complete non-starter this year - none of the seeds germinated.

I put them in potting compost in spring and kept them in a cold frame to protect from frost but sod all happened - next year am i better to put them in the airing cupboard as Piebob suggets? :hmm:

Jim

In reply to Stuart's question regards are they ready have been thinking the same myself but alot of the not so red chillies are doing so now what with the sun showing its self but still alot are green should I pick and ripen like a tomatoe in the window sill so to speak :look:?:lol:??? Have eaten a few of the big green ones more of a salad variety I think but still have a little spice to them without the red colour to them. :good:

In reply to Stuart's question regards are they ready have been thinking the same myself but alot of the not so red chillies are doing so now what with the sun showing its self but still alot are green should I pick and ripen like a tomatoe in the window sill so to speak :look: :lol::lol: ? Have eaten a few of the big green ones more of a salad variety I think but still have a little spice to them without the red colour to them. :good:

No, I picked some green ones last year and they didn't make the grade JJ. Add some Tomorite to your watering regime as it worked for me and was what Mungler suggested.

LB

My first attempt at growing chillies was a complete non-starter this year - none of the seeds germinated.

I put them in potting compost in spring and kept them in a cold frame to protect from frost but sod all happened - next year am i better to put them in the airing cupboard as Piebob suggets? :good:

Jim

The trick is cling film.

Put the seeds in individual cell seed trays, dampen (do not wet, it will rot the seeds) and then wrap the whole lot in cling film and stick on a window cill.

Hey presto, chillis up and running in under 2 weeks.

Works every time

Sound advice. My seeds (thanks to JimDFish) are currently in the airing cupboard in a propagator awaiting the first day they poke their little leaves above ground.

I think they will be comeing to work with me when they are old enoguh. I need more plants at the office.

So now we all have a right good crop of Chillies what do you do with them. Sanders has a great chili jelly (Which I am doing this weekend) ,and have done tomatoe/chilli chutney what else do you all do with them other than dry them out ?

Edited by JJaxeman

So now we all have a right good crop of Chillies what do you do with them. Sanders has a great chili jelly (Which I am doing this weekend) ,and have done tomatoe/chilli chutney what else do you all do with them other than dry them out ?

This should be right up your street Ja:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...uit_14414.shtml

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516252

• 2 weeks later...

So what's every one been doing with the Chillies then?:lol:?:lol:? here is a few pics of what I did with a few (Sanders Recipie of Chilli Jelly) not sure what next maybe a Sweet Chilli Sauce ?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax...Jam/Chilli1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax...Jam/Chilli2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax.../ChilliJam3.jpg

Made 7 eight oz jars in all . Thanks to Jerry :good:

I dry them in the airing cupboard for two weeks and them powder them in a pestle.

LB

I have a chillie plant that i got from the Norfolk chillie farm, & the produce is blooooooody hot, you have to keep it above 10 degrees c and water once in morning once in evening you'll have flowers then as they start to die the chillies will grow in there place mine average about 3" long. try and keep the plant in the warmest room in the house that also has natural sun light. good luck mate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not really - get the best "brand name" seed / potting compost you can get.

I went tight wad one year and got some B&Q own brand stuff and half the crop was lost before I even started.

My top tip and this works *without fail* is to use seed tray cells like these off ebay (ebay item number 140221918396), plant the seeds in "moist" seed / potting compost, (NOTE: moist means moist, and certainly not wet), then wrap the whole lot in cling film and place on a sunny window cill in a warm room or in a heated green house.

Works every time.

Make sure the seeds stay moist (if you wrap them 100% up in cling film they will) and check that there is no fungal growth or rot. Checking every 5 days works. After 2 weeks green shoots will spring through. Take the cling film off and then use a plastic raised seed tray lid (ebay item 390003818328).

When seeds transform to small plants and have a decent root system, stick them into grow bags - the tomato ones work fine and the good bit is they are easy to water, handle, move and dispose of at the end of the season (split the bags wide open and compost).

Boomshanka.

I have a plant indoors (Thai Hot) that I have kept going and with the chillis still on the plant (with seeds). If you want a couple of chillis / pods let me know. They grow easy and they are flippin hot - seriously they make my ears ring (I don't know how, but they do). Best way is to flash pan fry them to take the heat out and then use them to cook. One chilli will be enough for a dozen plants and that's plenty chillis for personal consumption anyway.

Edited by Mungler

I was chopping a few chillies the other night, forgot to wash my hands and went to peruse some hot stuff of another kind on t'internet.

My question to Mr Thrower is : how do you reduce the stinging to just a pleasant "tingle" ? :good:

Edited by LV

My question to Mr Thrower is : how do you reduce the stinging to just a pleasant "tingle" ? :no:

IF you want to reduce it, you can by using one of those 'magic' stainless steel soap bars.

Try taking contact lenses out of your eyes when you have forgotten to wash it all off :good:

Mung,

I need chilli's plants that grow very short, not up to the ceiling, do you have any varieties you can recommend??

IF you want to reduce it, you can by using one of those 'magic' stainless steel soap bars.

Try taking contact lenses out of your eyes when you have forgotten to wash it all off :good:

Mung,

I need chilli's plants that grow very short, not up to the ceiling, do you have any varieties you can recommend??

You are supposed to trim them as part of good chilli husbandry - treat them just like a tomato plant. You reduce certain shoots to encourage outwards (bush) growth otherwise the plant puts all of its energy into growing and achieveing height rather than fruiting up (simmer down you Suffolk boys reading this).

I will pop a couple of my kitchen window cill favourites in the post - this original strain came from the Devon chilli farm. Then in year two it crossed with something f-off hot in my greenhouse. Dunno where it's going this year, but I kept it in a largish 6" plastic (fake terracota) plant pot on a bright window cill. Without trimming it maxed out at 2' high and kept all its leaves and fruit right through xmas (still has leaves and fruit).

The mother in law wants some this year because they were brighter and redder than her poinsettias

Try Prairie Fire. They grow to about 8-10 inches and are one of the easiest to keep. Mine are on the kitchen window sill and have been producing the occasional flower right through the winter. The chillies are quite small and are classed as "hot".