Clean Fox Kills

Dodgemball

I have recently been shown how to squeek foxes and can now get them to come within thirty feet from me. So far I have not taken a shot on a fox because I would like to know where to place the shot for a clean kill. I shoot a .17 Hmr and have read many articles of people killing foxes with this cal.

Please can anyone offer any advise.

I have recently been shown how to squeek foxes and can now get them to come within thirty feet from me. So far I have not taken a shot on a fox because I would like to know where to place the shot for a clean kill. I shoot a .17 Hmr and have read many articles of people killing foxes with this cal.

My advise would be now that you have mastered the art of calling them in stop or you will find they have got wise to you and become shy, only call them or flash lamps about if you are going to shoot them.

I do not have a problem shooting fox with .17 hmr, the round is perfectly capable as is .22rf in the right hands within a reasonable range.

:good: D2D

I am sure you could kill a fox with a bow and arrow, but it wouldn't be very humane. Think about it this way, unless you are superman, there will be occasions when you make an error and miss the ideal target area. If you deny this, well....... think again. Now when you are a bit off with a more powerful gun, the fox is dead anyway. When you do it with the HMR, he will be running away horribly maimed and will escape you only to spend the next several hours or days suffering in torment. Personally, I think of the fox as a sort of bad dog. I like dogs and wouldn't want even a bad one to be in agony for days or hours because I was too cheap to shoot him with the proper sort of gun.

You need a centre fire .22 of some sort. .223 seems good and none of the shot foxes will escape wounded. I have found several foxes in woods over the last 30 odd years that have been shot with .22LR and have escaped a good way before they died. I have no way to know if they ran fifty yards and died at once, or lay there for hours or days. All I can say is that I found them in thick cover and that nobody could have shot them where they were found. I expect the shooters thought they'd missed.

Matches anyone?

Do a search or prepare for incoming fire.

Personally, buy a bigger gun.

This is getting spooky. I agree with fister as a reciprocal arrangement for him agreeing with me on the .223 chamber pressure topic. Crate of beer and a deck chair for me, I'll sit it out and watch.

Fister, isn't it more fun disagreeing?

Edited by DaveK

Listening to the general feedback I'll give foxes a miss with my .17 hmr and will stick to bunnies where it is the perfect tool for the job.

Many Thanks

Good call mate. I've seen them drop where they fall with hmr, but I've also seen them do a somersault and leg it to die slowly somewhere else. I just don't find the HMR reliable enough. 20gn hollow points are the worst culprit for injured animals.

Listening to the general feedback I'll give foxes a miss with my .17 hmr and will stick to bunnies where it is the perfect tool for the job.

Many Thanks

Good call mate. I've seen them drop where they fall with hmr, but I've also seen them do a somersault and leg it to die slowly somewhere else. I just don't find the HMR reliable enough. 20gn hollow points are the worst culprit for injured animals.

There's some fool recommending HMR for 200 pound hogs elsewhere on this forum, unless I have entirely missed the fact that he's being ironic or something - which is possible since I've just wandered back from the pub.

first do have fox on your ticket for your hmr ? if you don't have it on there get a center-fire. If you do have it there i would also recommend you get a center-fire :good: . The hmr though as good as it is, really is not the tool for the job. You would be better with a .22rf. But better still as stated in many other threads get a more powerful rifle.

You would be better with a .22rf

Are you seriously telling me that you beleive a .22rf is better than an HMR, or did you mean CF? :stupid:

Theres nothing wrong at all shooting fox with an HMR as long as you are realistic. What people should be telling you is that if you have bought your HMR purely to shoot fox then you have made a bad choice as a centrfire is the better choice. But that doesnt mean you can't successfully shoot Fox with an HMR. It is a powerful but small round that is very effective on fox out to (IMHO) 80yards. If you are calling the Fox into 30 yards you havent got a problem. Most of the Fox I have culled with my HMR have been head shots with the rest going to boiler room shoots. There is very little room for error which is why you have to be very sure of your shot and why the more foregiving centrefires would be better.

I've shot a few foxes with my HMR. It does the job, but only just. I've had them go down clean at 70 yards with a chest shot, but have had to shoot again on another. If you plan to shoot a lot of foxes, get a .223. There's no messing then, they go down with a big hole in them and don't get up :stupid:

Edited by njc110381

You would be better with a .22rf

Are you seriously telling me that you beleive a .22rf is better than an HMR, or did you mean CF? :good:

Theres nothing wrong at all shooting fox with an HMR as long as you are realistic. What people should be telling you is that if you have bought your HMR purely to shoot fox then you have made a bad choice as a centrfire is the better choice. But that doesnt mean you can't successfully shoot Fox with an HMR. It is a powerful but small round that is very effective on fox out to (IMHO) 80yards. If you are calling the Fox into 30 yards you havent got a problem. Most of the Fox I have culled with my HMR have been head shots with the rest going to boiler room shoots. There is very little room for error which is why you have to be very sure of your shot and why the more foregiving centrefires would be better.

i agree hmr is much better then 22lr on fox. ive had a fox with my hmr 55 yards head shot

side ways on between the ear and eye is the best place.

yes the shot has to be clean and make sure you hit the right spot with out error but if you can shoot rabbits with head shots to 100 yards and over say 130 yards ? then a foxes head at 60 yards is easy in my book

Guest topshot_2k

I have a Savage arms .17HMR and i use winchester 20grain bullets. I place the bullet at bottom of neck/chest are and all the foxes i have shot between 50 - 100yards have dropped dead on the spot. One of the foxes the bullet entered the front of the chest and exited near the back leg!!

Edited by topshot_2k

i think the general discussion here is which round kills fox better..well imho if your thinkin that you might not have the suitable rifle for the job...theres already doubt there so, dont use it..but...and heres the biggy...if you had to see something like this trying to follow its mum when you were checking lambs in the morning youd mabe think about shooting it with any round or cartridge you had to hand...or if youv reared and spent a lot of money on poults, only to see em being killed by a fox ...or two or three fox....youd need to do the job with anything at had...including a half brick if there was one to hand..lol...anyway heres the pic...it was quite upsettin seeing this wee fella still living...now it had suffed all night till i got to it and ended it....but after seeing it like that,,i wast too worred about the culprit suffering a bit its self.....which it didnt i hasten to add after id calmed down..lol..i went out on the darkning and shot it..cleanly with a .243 she was a vixen doing what any vixen will do...she was only trying to rear her cubs as best she could...and who can blame her for that eh...so i say its a double edged sword..and leave it to your own conciance

008-1.jpg

Sadly the hairy-lefty antis (the half-wits who think foxes are 'lovely') never get to see photos like that. The words 'indescribable agony' probably doesn't do it justice, hence why as someone from a sheep-farming background, I too have a similar lack of regard for foxes' welfare and treatment.

head shot mate side ways on between the eye and ear. chest shots are to risky i think with such a small bullet. if you dont hit the engine room it can go away and die some where which isnt nice.

i would only body shot with the centrefire

i think the general discussion here is which round kills fox better..well imho if your thinkin that you might not have the suitable rifle for the job...theres already doubt there so, dont use it..but...and heres the biggy...if you had to see something like this trying to follow its mum when you were checking lambs in the morning youd mabe think about shooting it with any round or cartridge you had to hand...or if youv reared and spent a lot of money on poults, only to see em being killed by a fox ...or two or three fox....youd need to do the job with anything at had...including a half brick if there was one to hand..lol...anyway heres the pic...it was quite upsettin seeing this wee fella still living...now it had suffed all night till i got to it and ended it....but after seeing it like that,,i wast too worred about the culprit suffering a bit its self.....which it didnt i hasten to add after id calmed down..lol..i went out on the darkning and shot it..cleanly with a .243 she was a vixen doing what any vixen will do...she was only trying to rear her cubs as best she could...and who can blame her for that eh...so i say its a double edged sword..and leave it to your own conciance

008-1.jpg

Very emotive pic and story...but i would be more inclined to think of a stray centrfire bullet here!!!

Not having a pop,but foxes don,t start feeding at the nose when there,s more meat further down the body?:friends:

I personally shot a fox last night with an HMR for the first time and I took the first shot at around 100yards to the frontal body (around the same area you shoot a roe) the fox DID NOT drop straight away and ran around 20 yards where i shot it again, yes it was dead after this but I personally will not be shooting a fox with an HMR again, the 243 does a far better job and in my opinion in a more humane way. I used to be under the impression a head shot was always better with 22 high velocity or HMR but to be honest if using a centrefire a chest shot is just as humane (if not more) as (excuse the graphic comment) but it pretty much empties the chest.

to sum up if you are going to shoot foxes regularly buy a centrefire, but if you are out and about with a HMR/22LR with high velocity rounds shotting rabbits and you stumble across a fox it is your responsibility as a human to make a realistic judgement on the shot, i.e.- 25 yards with a 22 HV in the head will kill a fox outright as long as you can confidently place a shot.

Just my t'pence worth.

Regards,

Garry.

Edited by gixer1

I've seen ducks with their face just like that (beaks missing) which is due to fox. But I too would be impressed if reynard was able to get through that, I wouldn't have thought his jaws would be strong/wide enough to do that.

i think a badger mite have had a chew on that ? he would have the jaws to rip that up like that

funny thing is its perfectly acceptable to shoot a deer with a .243 and have it run 20 yards yet its not to shoot a fox with an HMR and have it run the same distance.

Heres another viewpoint where I am shooting foxes is opportunistic, ie when the opportunity presents itself you have to take it, we have shot 6 on our last three trips out rabbit shooting all with the HMR none escaped couple took a second shot but hadn't gone anywhere and funnily enough these were the two shot with 20 grain hollow points and both had an entry and exit chest wound. Were we out fox shooting we would ideally have a bigger caliber but I don't want to shoot rabbits with a centre fire and the alternative is two guns, having to swap when you see a fox etc etc and in reality quite often by the time you've messed arround the fox has cleared off. All these were shot on the edge of woods with pens containing 500 plus pheasants so we could start leaving them but the keeper will rapidly get rather jacked off at lamped and left foxes. They aren't cute they aren't friendly yes they don't deserve to suffer but they do need shooting in our case whenever we see one. We don't shoot at silly ranges as you then get lamp shy foxes you can't get near but generally anything sub 100 yards gets shot. This year seems severe for them where we are so if we want a decent shooting season the fewer there are the better.

As Axe said they do the job fine if you use it correctly the beauty of the caliber is the accuracy and if you're taking rabbits at 100 yard head shots then you're fine on foxes. I prefer to chest shoot them because of the larger margin for error unless conditions are perfect. With the 17 grain round you don't tend to get an exit you just get one hell of an impact as the fox absorbs all the rounds energy and they don't like it and usually go down straight away, I've not had one run more than 10 yards so far and to me its probably better than having to send a dog for a pheasant thats only winged and everyone who has shot pheasants or pigeons will have done that.

I'll probably get a centre fire but at the moment I don't set out fox shooting