Offroad tyres

seisobs

Hi Guy's and Gal's

Can anyone recommend a decent set of off-Road tyres for my Suzuki Jimny?

Currently running on road tyres, as I do a lot of driving through fields and winter is fast approaching I don't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks

Jake.

the bf's are very good, but expensive, im currently running insa turbo mud terrains, their a spanish remould tyre, but very good quality, i regulary have my defender at 75+mph on the motorway with them and they handle perfect wet or dry and will go anywhere in the mud, my 265/75 16's where £53 + vat each, a bf this size would be around the £100 mark or maybe more, so jimny sizes would be really cheap if you went for the insa's

i would never buy broncos, they wear very very quickly due to the soft nature of the compound they are made of.

shred really easy off road, and have been known to fall apart on the roads due to the laminates not holding together.

if u want a remould go for insa turbos or greenways.

if u want the real deal i would recomend BFG or kumhos.

kumhos are cheaper but just as good in my opinion.

i would never buy broncos

I take it from that you've never used them then? Bronco had trouble with a faulty batch a couple of years ago and keep getting pilloried with the same old story. I've dealt with them for years, never had a problem and done thousands of miles on Grizzlys and diamondbacks without any wear issues, especially on light trucks like the Jimny. They do have issues with sourcing carcasses for the remoulds though so its always better to phone them and ask first before parting with any cash, although usually its the larger, less common 33x15 tyres and the like that they have a problem with.

As for Kumhos their tread patterns are **** especially their new off road tyre, I tested them last year for 4x4 Mart Magazine and they were worse than useless, if you want to sit in a muddy puddle with all 4 wheels spinning then be my guest.

BFG's are expensive, overated and aren't that great in the mud.

Greenway & Colway make some decent cheap off-road tyres. Try Mike Sowden, he'll always give you a good deal. http://www.sowdentyres.co.uk/

If you're interested the original article i did for 4x4 Mart about Bronco is still on the net but sadly the photo links no longer work http://www.broadlandrhinos.co.uk/bronco.htm

Edited by JR1960

i would never buy broncos, they wear very very quickly due to the soft nature of the compound they are made of.

shred really easy off road, and have been known to fall apart on the roads due to the laminates not holding together.

listen to this man he knows his stuff ,ive been through them all over the years whilst trailing and challenges and apart from a set of simex treckers for when its really sticky i run on khumo mt and they are very good and they ballance up ok

i dont have experience with using them personally, but a mate has them on his defender and had the problems i have just described. and this was only a few months ago. they also wear down extremely fast when used on the road.

as for kumhos, i have heard mixed results about there kl71s(which are the ones uve spoken about), they are a less agressive mud terrain with good handling on the road. they also have a mud terrain similar to the BFG, called the 834 road venture, a very good tyre and can easily compete with the BFG mud terrain.

personally if i had the money to spare i would go for BFGs, but being a student i can only afford the remoulds.

listen to this man he knows his stuff ,ive been through them all over the years whilst trailing and challenges and apart from a set of simex treckers for when its really sticky i run on khumo mt and they are very good and they ballance up ok

As for me I've only been driving off-road for twenty odd years, founded, and am chairman of, an off-road club, written hundreds of articles for the off-road press and am author of the book on modifying Suzukis, known in the states as the suzuki modifiers bible, so i guess I have a bit of experience too, especially regarding Suzukis.

Gentlemen, thank you for all your advice, I'm going to go for BF Goodrich all terrain or mud tyres. A friend of mine has a tyre shop so hopefully I will get a good discount.

On another subject aimed at JR 1960 - I am looking at getting my 47 plate Jimny higher off the ground, how would I go about it? I take it that she would need new springs etc, details would be appreaciated or maybe I could buy a copy of your book somewhere?

Thanks again

Jake.

As for me I've only been driving off-road for twenty odd years, founded, and am chairman of, an off-road club, written hundreds of articles for the off-road press and am author of the book on modifying Suzukis, known in the states as the suzuki modifiers bible, so i guess I have a bit of experience too, especially regarding Suzukis.

so because of your experience it means everything i say is irrelevant.

i was just giving the chap my experience, thats all.

no need to get your heckles up about it.

The KL71's on my Pinin have been brilliant, aint had them for long though.

Noisy on road at low speeds but they quieten down proportionally the faster you go above 40MPH. Off road they have pulled me through some daunting locations. Had to dig myself out somewhere real soggy last week though - where a dung pile had been for two years so there was no root structure below the fairly new grass. The self cleaning aspect works well too.

Dirttread.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

if your planning on real muddy conditions id keep away from the at's my last defender had a new set on, ok to start with when you get off road, but the mud quickly fill the treads and then the grips gone, like slicks, they dont self clear well, and id have to adgree with flash about the broncos, dont think they are that good, ive got a set on a disco trailer outside my house now, all 4 tyres are bulged all round the tyre walls and tread blocks falling off ect the kumhos kl71's as above are tidy tyres, and look cool aswell :yes:

Edited by EvoCars

I've had a Jimny as a daily drive/shooting bus for just over a year now. :lol: I bought 5 Colway AT's for it last autumn - �185.40 delivered from offroading.net. I took them to Steer Tyres in coalville, and had them balanced (using the pouches of powder that explode in the tyres for excellent knobbly/remould balancing), and fitted for �50.

So 5 tyres, fitted & balanced = �235.40. Bargain! :good:

As said earlier MT's will be better for you if you're mostly off-roading, and I think they're only a couple of quid more. :yes:

Here's a few pics for you.

A bit of gentle off-roading 5 days after picking it up Still on road tyres

Stourport2007.jpg

More recently Just a little bit of mud.

DSC00748.jpg

Clean & shiny Not that it is at this very minute!

DSCF0952.jpg

E. :hmm:

Edit: P.S Why have my pound signs turned into those symbols? :yes:

Edited by Elaine