Diesel engine car? Then read this .

Harnser

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this thread started (Oct 2008), I've been adding 12 litres rapeseed oil (Morrisons 84ppl) and a shot of their two stroke oil to each 30 litres of diesel from the pump.

The car runs smoother and costs less to run - with certainly no ill effects to the motor showing up so far.

Since this thread started (Oct 2008), I've been adding 12 litres rapeseed oil (Morrisons 84ppl) and a shot of their two stroke oil to each 30 litres of diesel from the pump.

The car runs smoother and costs less to run - with certainly no ill effects to the motor showing up so far.

so for the sake of saving £2.50 per tankfull you're risking needing a new injector pump thats usually £600 plus for a simple recon one :good:

not the most sensible financial decision to my mind,

I tend to bung a tank of the shell diesel optimax through once in a while which definitely seems to make it run smoother with the benefit of increased mpg, though it definitely helps having a company shell fuel card to put it on.

As Raja said earlier I'd try this with an old diesel but no way a new one with particulate filters and high pressure pumps etc

I use the SDP engine oil additive and give it some of the red-X diesel treatment as regularly as I can remember.

I think it helps - the SDP engine oil reduced the diesel taxi rattle by an easy 15% and I would recommend that to anyone.

Now I suspect that Harnser will be telling me that the SDP treatment is actually 2 stroke oil with Johnny Walker in it - brewed to some ancient Norfolk receipe.

Incidentally, I looked at the clock today and she's just done over 150k. I have had a lot of cars and bizarrely, this TD5 has cost me the least amount of money and has proven to be the most reliable. Obviously I bought the right one, but go back 5 years and I would have never envisaged the day of me singing the praises of a Land Rover.

All this talk about mixing Castrol R, 2 stroke, Diesel etc. Just be aware Castrol R and 2 stroke do not mix. Tried in in my Jawa tank a lot of years back (Jawa shows you how far back that was), seized the engine. Apparently 2 stroke oil and castrol R when mixed turn into a bit of a sludge. so would not recommend the Castrol R in the lawnmower. :good:

so for the sake of saving £2.50 per tankfull you're risking needing a new injector pump thats usually £600 plus for a simple recon one :good:

not the most sensible financial decision to my mind,

I tend to bung a tank of the shell diesel optimax through once in a while which definitely seems to make it run smoother with the benefit of increased mpg, though it definitely helps having a company shell fuel card to put it on.

As Raja said earlier I'd try this with an old diesel but no way a new one with particulate filters and high pressure pumps etc

If he has been doing it since 2008 it can't be that much of a risk can it? Plus, as has been stated before, Shell Optimax is Diesel with 2 stroke added to it, so I have to ask, who is being gullible now?

Have you any hard evidence of this, or is this just your scepticism coming through?

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.asp

this gives a rough guide to what pumps are suitable and what measures you need to take to make them more suitable to burning veg oil, you'll see a lot are not suited to veg oil which isn't the same as bio diesel

the issue is that veg oil mixes with water whereas diesel doesn't, if there is any water present in your tank it will form a milky coloured sludge that will block the system, normally water settles and collects in the bottom of the diesel filter hence you usually have a sensor present to tell you when it happens.

Edited by al4x

As to the dipping lark, the folks round here use a monitor with a tube up the exhaust. When asked, a chappie told me it can pick up on the residue left in the exhaust if the the vehicle has been run on red diesel since the exhaust was fitted. They have been busy round here lately.

ft

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.asp

this gives a rough guide to what pumps are suitable and what measures you need to take to make them more suitable to burning veg oil, you'll see a lot are not suited to veg oil which isn't the same as bio diesel

the issue is that veg oil mixes with water whereas diesel doesn't, if there is any water present in your tank it will form a milky coloured sludge that will block the system, normally water settles and collects in the bottom of the diesel filter hence you usually have a sensor present to tell you when it happens.

This is in reference to running the engine on vegetable oil alone! NOT simply adding 2 stroke oil to a full tank of diesel

Nial ,

Its common knowledge that the low sulpher diesel fuel that we are sold at the pumps today has a less lubricating effect on the fuel system components ,ie the fuel pump ,injector pump .So much so that the fuel can actually damage these components . I dont know why you should think that this is a conspiracy to see how gullible people are by getting them to put an additive in their diesel fuel . Had he said that you should put jam donuts in the tank as a lubricant i certinly would have been suspicious . As you proberbly know two stroke olt is also used as a lubricant in all two cycle petrol engines and infact these engines cannot operate without it . The two stroke oil will also act as an upper cylinder lubricant and help towards cyclinder lube as it does in a two stroke engine . No i dont think its a conspiracy to see how gullible people are . Harnser .

I **** THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP SEALS IN MY HILUX DIESEL...

using forecourt bio diesel, costly job getting a new pump and fitting, 5 hour job, i am all for trying 2 stroke, cant see it doing any harm.

it was a reply to amateur about running on veg oil, as said 2 stroke oil is different :good:

You should note that I am running on a mix of (predominately) diesel, clean, foodgrade rapeseed oil and a 50ml shot of two-stroke oil.

As I wrote earlier, I have been saving money using this mix with no ill effects. Indeed the car seems to thrive on it

Quite a few people add 2 stroke or Millers diesel additive to the tanks of their diesel Skoda's. Lot of debate on the Skoda forum I'm on about whether or not it can cause issues but there's people on there who've put thousand of miles on their car with 2 stroke added and not had an issue. I've never tried it but I'm quite tempted...

I worked on the pumps in the days when you did not put your own petrol in at the garage. It was my after school job...1967. Beside the pumps was a thing about the size of a fire extinguisher-the Redex. 50% of people said yes to a squirt when asked.

Guess as engines became more sophistcated people didn't feel the need so it has now dissapeared from the forecourt. A little lube can only be a good thing though. :good: