BASC New Centre Appeal

pavman

Well I must say how suprised I am at the childishness of some of this forums members. Especially Sirusman who at 58 years old I would have thought that he would have been able to reason an arguement or point of view, instead he got a 6 year old to come up with an insulting version for the BASC initials.

Hey bud you do not like do not read nuf said????

I rest my case m'lud :good:;):yes:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant BASC raise the money in other ways? Like host a game fair and 10% of all sales goes towards the organisation? or a big rafle which you can win a car???

The SGA had an auction couple months back where you send in how much you would pay for this item then if more than one wants it the highest price wins.

Just ideas thats all

Thank you for the comments guys - as I have said many time I honestly do appreciate it.

I know that from time to time we don't get it 100% right- but trust me we always try to act with compassion, professionalism, understanding, honestly and loyalty with our membership.

Accept please that from time to time we may make a mistake in some eyes- it is so hard with over 128,000 members to please all the people all the time, but please understand and accept that we are big enough to accept criticism if we do make a mistake, say sorry, learn and move on- what more can we do or say?

It is pretty hard out there I know, just because I work for BASC does not make me immune to the current climate- and it is always a tough ask to go to a loyal membership and ask for that little bit more, not a decision that is taken lightly I can assure you.. Trust me we are also targeting some of the very wealthy members for considerably more than £40!

As to phased DD, it is not a question of not being able to, it is a question of coming up with a system that benefits the members as well as protecting our cash flow- our business is very ‘back end loaded’ as you can imagine with our most busy time form September to December.

This may sound daft, but one way for you if cash is looking tight (and this is something I am looking at) is to set up an interest bearing account of your own and pay into that a monthly sum to cover BASC membership, shooting club fees etc..that way you get the benefit in effect of phased DD BUT with interest as well.

I have a meeting with one of the UK’s largest banks in a few week time to look at what options are available in the market that they could suggest to our membership. Just a thought

David

I have been involved with the B.A.S.C. since the early sixtys ,W.A.G.B.I in those days . Its the best shooting association around and allways has been . I have in the past disagreed with some policys that have been agreed by council and other members . i dont happen to agree with this building of a media centre and have quite clearly stated so . But that do's not stop me being a firm supporter of the B.A.S.C. the best shooting association around . This forum that we all contribute to in our own small ways seems to attract a few anti B.A.S.C. members who seem intent on slagging B.A.S.C. at every oppotunity , why ? whats the point . I f you dont think that the B.A.S.C. is for you or you don't like the policys ,then go else where and stop slagging down the best friend any shooting man can have . Harnser .

DF, Thank you for that. Yes I agree that raffles are a great way of generating cash , and the draws we are running now for example, the profit goers to the building. As will, I suspect the draws we do in 2009.

Harnserr, than you to, I think your view on BASC is probably shared by most of our members, yes we get it pretty well spot on most of the time but yes we / council make decisions that are not always popular, I can think of several since I have been a member and that is only 20 years,

Thank you too for all those that have pledged support and who have said you wont donate but still support BASC, what can i say but thank you, it means a lot.

To those that support other organizations, thank you to, for at least having the courage of your convictions and supporting something,.

If I could have a free say on this forum like you guys I would add ‘ unlike the bloody freeloaders that benefit from the work that the shooting organizations do but cant be a**ed to support anyone – shame on you!’ But of course I cannot be seen to say anything like that as someone may complain that the guy from BASC is being beastly!

Slag off BASC? What’s the point? You won’t change your mind / tune, so we have gone beyond debate, and surely it is better to debate than argue? Lets move on and agree to disagree about the benefits of being a BASC member, if it don’t suit you then that’s fine but stop whining about it please!

Happy to carry on the debate about the Communication centre though.

David

There are people who for what ever reason will be quick to slag off the BASC . They must have been forced into this way of thinking by the actions of some one . Be it themselves or a friend.

New members of any organisation are hard to find so trying to keep the ones you have becomes harder.

If being asked for this donation offends you then it is your right and fredom to not give. Its not compulsary

Whether we like it or not we need the BASC as much as it needs us. As the only major reputable voice of shooting there is in this country its becomes your voice and fights for your argument.

The anti clubs can rally troops and join forces as they are all fighting for the same causes. They want you to stop killing things for the pot ,for pleasure or just because you can. There will always be bunny huggers and its these people that we need to stand together against. Not each other.

I have never needed the services of the BASC but i know that if I do then its already in place to help me. I shoot knowing that I am insured . If its only insurance you want then you can get it cheaper but it has no voice , no arguement no back up plan and no allies.

Stand together its what your sport needs.

I have no direct links to the BASC and have chosen not to give them any additional funds

Just a quick response to the guy from NI who was speaking to a PSNI member.

Clearly he needs to get out more. The PSNI member I mean!

SACS were at the Firearms Liason Committee in Lisnasharagh last week, along with CAI and other groups. That meeting was with with senior PSNI officers who are working with the organisations here on the review of firearms legislation.

I think you ought to question him a little more. Clearly he knows more about Comber potatoes that he does about firearms issues or indeed SACS!

Becassier

Dear all,

I won’t pass comments on the posts by those who are very obviously anti BASC - you are of course welcome to your opinion but I see no merit in turning what is a very important thread into a slanging match.

Andovian,

Please accept my apologies if it sounded like I was saying the members comments were anti BASC - far from it.

David

Sorry mate but that's exactly what you said. Didn't just sound like it. Not BASC bashing, just quoting your good self.

Edited by DaveK

Dave K if you are going to quote my posts please have the decency not to edit them, especially if it alters the meaning or context of the post. You edited out a whole sentence! ;)

What I said was that I was not going to start a slanging match with non the BASC members who were, in my opinion, being a bit childish and calling BASC names.

This was / is an important debate and I thought it was at risk of being derailed, and I did not want this to happen. :yes:

Moving on, I think this has been a very informative debate. But is raised another question.

Has BASC been successful in getting across the message of why it is a very good investment in the future of shooting to build this communications centre? :yes:

I accept that people will not want to donate directly to a project for all sorts of reasons, and as DF correctly pointed out there are lots of other ways of raising money, but a direct ask is one of them.

So as not to upset the membership in the future, perhaps we should, on renewal letters for example, ask people if they would be happy to receive a donation letter in the future, and then direct mail to the them only on the rare occasion we go out to the membership for a large ‘ask’. The last time was 1987 I think when we rebuilt the Duke of Westminster building on the Marford Mill site, so its not too often! :good:

Just a thought

David

I bet another £40 that the League against Cruel sports or the Anti-gun control network supporters would not react as much to a request for a donation to THEIR cause as we shooters have done on this thread.

I've followed this thread with interest, along with all the BASC knocking topics (of which there's been a depressingly large number over the years). As usual DavidBASC patiently answers the doubters and puts up with the crass childishness of the name callers and malcontents but this post by Glenshooter just about sums up why we need BASC. It's not for insurance, not for gamekeeping advise, not for the magazine or any of the other 1001 reasons anyone of us might have for joining this association. It's all about protecting our chosen way of life from the ever increasing threat of banning and banning for us would be like that for pistol shooters, complete and total, not like banning foxhunting were they have just carried on and any kills are "accidental", you can't get around banning shooting by holding up a replica, shouting bang and expecting a pigeon to fall. As a group we are stuffed whichever way you look at it, for anyone who doesn't realise the order of threat is,

1 Game Shooting

2 Vermin Shooting

3 Any form of Gun Ownership

4 Angling

5 Horse Racing

6 Pet Ownership

Think that's a bit extreme, if there was a chance I'd collect I'd bet some of the teenagers on the site will see live quarry shooting banned in their lifetime. As a committed pessimist all we can do is delay the inevitable and the way to do that is by sticking together and fighting back with modern tools. It's hard enough to convince the bloke down the pub that shooting isn't cruel (30 years ago he would have tried to cadge a couple of pigeons from you) never mind the majority of the population who are, by now, so far removed from reality through a diet of tabloids and TV soaps that they don't know the difference between meat and the polystyrene tray it comes in.

Glenshooter is right, the antis would be down the social now seeing what new benefit they had a right to in order to swell the funds of those deluded organisations and if one of them suggested using some of that money to insure the van that takes them from one demo to the next they would be howled at with derision.

In short, join the organisation, (BASC) that will best protect our long term interests which almost invariably will not be the cheapest, as that lot in Yorkshire says "You don't get owt for nowt", and if you want to change it or just air your views speak to an elected representative (even stand for election yourself) and if you (misguidedly) decide to join another organisation lets have a united front on protecting our interests instead of wasting time slagging off each other.

Mr Potter

Please remember, that as the largest shooting organization in the UK (not taking anything away from the others) if we fail in achieving our 5 key objectives – shooting will very probably be allot worse off- not just for BASC members, but for the other 500,000 certificate holders who are not members as well.

For BASC DAVID,

Reading your replies, are you saying that 500.000 certificate holders have not joined the BASC, in creditable,

Although the BASC are the largest?

Not researched how many memberships you have.

Maybe it is time you guys addressed this and have a different approach

Maybe a watered down membership! Or as a in my last reply to this post.

I mean if you only gained 10% of the 500.000 potential

You also have an untapped resource with BASC coaches and air rifle clubs,

Or even a rifle manufacturer take air arms, daystate band together offer BASC membership with a rifle sale include it in the price.

Do it before another organizations does it.

Membership, once someone joins don’t they remain with the BASC?.

What I mean is members of clubs that do go out and shoot not only with firearms and shotguns,

It was David Monck ATEO RIP that gave me the direction of the BASC.

Is it not the best form of gaining new membership via recommendation.

And these guys running air rifle clubs do it for love and the sport without it were would we be.

I was going to join another organisation for third of the price of the BASC until I read up.

Maybe things like a concession for club member to introduce them into the BASC.

Use the info structure you have in place, reward the clubs for new memberships odd tin of pellets would be gratefully received get my point.

Its not until you read up on the organizations promoting and have the shooters interest at heart can you make an informed decision.

It really is a no brainer, not taking anything away from the other organisation and I have looked at them.

How many air rifle users go onto gaining there SGC and FAC.

I wonder how many of the 500.000 are aware of the BASC?

That does not take into account air rifle users!

What would 10% do for the coffers, for the state of the art communication centre?

Whats the saying,

BASC – “Never go shooting without itâ€

I think that the BASC needs this communication centre and needs to get out there on the ground and speak to its members, coaches, clubs and other organizations spread the word.

I would love to know how much to produce and send the letter out that’s been received in the mail.

When it could of gone out with the magazine I received three days after the letter,

Promoter I am, Keep it simple for existing members put the membership up and explain why at renewal.

BASC say they have certificate holders backs please spend the membership wisely.

You work hard for the membership its easy to lose it.

At game fairs do BASC staff stand around NO they are promoting the BASC and when possible gaining new membership.

And boy do they work.

Personal rant over or is it the beginning.

Now can I have my discount next year for my dsc1 & 2

I've followed this thread with interest, along with all the BASC knocking topics (of which there's been a depressingly large number over the years). As usual DavidBASC patiently answers the doubters and puts up with the crass childishness of the name callers and malcontents but this post by Glenshooter just about sums up why we need BASC. It's not for insurance, not for gamekeeping advise, not for the magazine or any of the other 1001 reasons anyone of us might have for joining this association. It's all about protecting our chosen way of life from the ever increasing threat of banning and banning for us would be like that for pistol shooters, complete and total, not like banning foxhunting were they have just carried on and any kills are "accidental", you can't get around banning shooting by holding up a replica, shouting bang and expecting a pigeon to fall. As a group we are stuffed whichever way you look at it, for anyone who doesn't realise the order of threat is,

1 Game Shooting

2 Vermin Shooting

3 Any form of Gun Ownership

4 Angling

5 Horse Racing

6 Pet Ownership

Think that's a bit extreme, if there was a chance I'd collect I'd bet some of the teenagers on the site will see live quarry shooting banned in their lifetime. As a committed pessimist all we can do is delay the inevitable and the way to do that is by sticking together and fighting back with modern tools. It's hard enough to convince the bloke down the pub that shooting isn't cruel (30 years ago he would have tried to cadge a couple of pigeons from you) never mind the majority of the population who are, by now, so far removed from reality through a diet of tabloids and TV soaps that they don't know the difference between meat and the polystyrene tray it comes in.

Glenshooter is right, the antis would be down the social now seeing what new benefit they had a right to in order to swell the funds of those deluded organisations and if one of them suggested using some of that money to insure the van that takes them from one demo to the next they would be howled at with derision.

In short, join the organisation, (BASC) that will best protect our long term interests which almost invariably will not be the cheapest, as that lot in Yorkshire says "You don't get owt for nowt", and if you want to change it or just air your views speak to an elected representative (even stand for election yourself) and if you (misguidedly) decide to join another organisation lets have a united front on protecting our interests instead of wasting time slagging off each other.

Mr Potter

Well said mr potter . I couldnt agree more . Harnser .

It would be a good idea for clay shooters to join the B.A.S.C. even if they have no intention of shooting game .Its your guns that the antis are after ,not just to stop game shooting . the B.A.S.C. are best equiped to protect your shooting interests . The B.A.S.C. needs you so stop slagging them of and join . Harnser .

Thank you so very much for the replies and the support.

Yes the marketing / recruitment message from BASC is changing, dont join us for the insurance- join us for what we can ,have, and will do to keep shooting safe. :yes:

Guys, you have said it all and I thank you very much once agian. :good:

It is comments and support like the last few posts that make up ten fold for the childish name calling I get from some, both posting and PM's -

All the very best ;)

David

Question to David basc and others.

If the voice of the few mal contents on here was taken as the norm and it was decided that the comms centre shouldnt go ahead. where else could or should the money be spent? for the sake or argument assume the membership cost WONT be reduced.

Charities like the jesus army own many companies and the profits from those companies fund the jesus army. So assuming this and taking note of a very good post by Hunter 2, what would it cost to buy a controlling share in the CPSA or another similar organisation, so the two forces are working together membership is increased, as is target audience?

missed the boat with litts but is a good example.

Obviously keep the two companies seperate but use it as an opportunity to make the voice more united with this money?

Thoughts please

I see BASC has done a "round robin" to get its supporters posting here. You see you have communication guys and you really don't need your centre.

Well done!

Becassier

You still don't get it do you Mr Becassier, I think everyone agrees that BASC can't be faulted when it communicates to it's members (some might say they communicate too much!)but, and you'll find this hard to believe, we're not the ones who want to ban shooting and fishing and basically our way of life. BASC, with the help of the proposed communication centre, are trying to get, not to the people who want to ban all the things we hold dear (that hard core minority are probably beyond redemption) but to the media to put the truth forward and to the politicians to make sure we're listened to. Laudable ambitions surely?

On a final note I am reminded of an old saying of my, and probably everyones, grandmother - "If you can't say anything nice well better not saying anything at all"

Mr Potter

PS.

I would just like to say, for the record, that BASC have not done a 'round robin' as bacassier claims - how can I for goodness sake I am at home with no access to the BASC database.

Nor would I even think of doing such an underhand thing and frankly find the accusation or suggestion to the contrary rather distasteful. ;)

This ranks along side the other post suggesting that this thread would be closed down, supposedly I would presume due to some influence that BASC had over the moderators- as if! :good:

But as I said on my last post, I am pretty used to these silly childish accusations and frankly it is water off a ducks back.

It is easy and of course very distracting to pop little snippets like this onto posts – using the old journalists trick of planting a seed of doubt in the readers mind, never mind if it is factual or not. Read and good news stories lately- like:

BASC ate my hamster

Elvis spotted on BASC stand at CLA Game Fair

Aliens take over at BASC HQ

Stanly Duncan – founder of WAGBI – found frozen in ice at the North Pole

John Swift really an android

David Ilsley – Head of Sales and Marketing at BASC is secret love child of a Camel

Bored now going to light some fireworks with the kids. :yes:

David

I am still miffed by the fact that there are four guns on offer if you make a donation via the flyer in the new BASC mag your name gets in the hat for the draw but nothing of the sort by way of the letter requesting the donation for the new centre, if you had already sent a donation and then recieved the mag you well be feeling a tad upset your not in with a shout to win a nice gun :good: ,,,,,,,,

An interesting point Pavman, - but you can of course enter the gun draw for just couple of quid..

D

or you could send a tad more hope it gets to do some good (new centre) and stand a chance of a nice prize, so I opted for plan B :good:

I see BASC has done a "round robin" to get its supporters posting here. You see you have communication guys and you really don't need your centre.

Well done!

Becassier

Becassier,

I think you will find that there is quite a few people on this site who support BASC and funnily enough they can read as well. Some of them can even use a keyboard on post their own opinions whenever they want.

If you don't want to support BASC then that is your own choice, but please don't keep knocking them it is getting rather boring.

Incidentally I got my letter today and to be honest I agree wholeheartedly with Pavman, I would rather donate £40 to the gun raffle draw than just give it. At least there is a chance of winning something.

However looking at the Architects impressions of the proposed Media centre it is not over the top, and if it is needed to move forward then I cannot see anything wrong in that.

As for being on a round robin to suport the B.A.S.C. what a load of old horlicks . I am my own man and make no secret of being an avid supporter of the B.A.S.C. By being a member i reserve the right to criticise B.A.S.C. if and when necessary and believe me i have criticised B.A.S.C. in the past ,but never ,never ,slagged it down .

Any body out there who is not a member of a proper shooting society then again shame on you . You could not do any better than to join the B.A.S.C.. Just log into the B.A.S.C. site and join online now . The first p.w. member who is not a B.A.S.C. member and joins online and p.m. me, i will take you out for a weekends pigeon shooting at a time to suit you .

Harnser .