Young birds or feral?

tullyhubbert

Of the 10 birds we shot on Saturday 3 of them are either young birds or some sort of feral/mongrel! :unsure: They are smaller than a standard woodie, don't have the white neck ring and their beaks are grey not yellow.

Standard woodie sporting a white neck ring and yellow/red beak:

Pigeon03.jpg

Mystery bird, no neck ring and grey beak:

Pigeon02.jpg

Close up of the mystery bird:

Pigeon01.jpg

I think they are young woodies but would like it confirmed, what say the FOAK?

TIA ... John

Yes, they are young Woodies, this Summers birds, there's lots about at the moment.

I would suggest you brush up on bird identification before you shoot too much live quarry, if you can't identify a young pigeon then you certainly wouldn't be able to spot a Stock Dove, and they're now protected. :unsure:

Cat.

I would suggest you brush up on bird identification before you shoot too much live quarry, if you can't identify a young pigeon then you certainly wouldn't be able to spot a Stock Dove, and they're now protected.

Thanks for the advice :blush: I've been shooting for nigh on 30 years and I've never shot any protected species, have you? Thanks to the wonders of my camera phone and the interweb I though I'd get what I've always believed to be "Young Birds" confirmed. Now the doors that way > > > > just be careful getting off that soapbox :unsure:

Thanks for the advice :) I've been shooting for nigh on 30 years and I've never shot any protected species, have you? Thanks to the wonders of my camera phone and the interweb I though I'd get what I've always believed to be "Young Birds" confirmed. Now the doors that way > > > > just be careful getting off that soapbox :good:

Well said that man, I dont understand why people need to be arsey whan alls you were doing was asking advice.

Nice shooting by the way.

Paul.

Thanks for the advice :) I've been shooting for nigh on 30 years and I've never shot any protected species, have you? Thanks to the wonders of my camera phone and the interweb I though I'd get what I've always believed to be "Young Birds" confirmed. Now the doors that way > > > > just be careful getting off that soapbox :good:

I believe you got a good reply and a fair piece of advice from cat. Well all need to know what species and when they can be shoot , and as responsible sportsmen its our duty to know what we are shooting at before we squeeze the trigger not after it has fallen. Our sport is self regulating as to what you shot at in the middle of a field on your own. Good to ask a question to get the knowledge but dont knock good advice !

I believe you got a good reply and a fair piece of advice from cat. Well all need to know what species and when they can be shoot , and as responsible sportsmen its our duty to know what we are shooting at before we squeeze the trigger not after it has fallen. Our sport is self regulating as to what you shot at in the middle of a field on your own. Good to ask a question to get the knowledge but dont knock good advice !

I'm not knocking good advice but I do object strongly to the tone of catamongs reply, read it again below. Catamong suggests that as I can't tell the difference between a young pigeon and a mature bird then I shouldn't be shooting live quarry. I absolutely can tell the difference between pigeons and doves, but I can't tell the difference between a young and adult pigeon whilst shooting over decoys or to roost, and I'll bet a pound to a tenner that catamong can't either. :welcomeani:

My initial post was:

(1) To confirm that what I've been taught by my father and uncles that the bird pictured was indeed a young wood pigeon.

(2) To make a post that might be of interest to other members.

(3) To make a post that might be interest and informative to inexperienced members.

I think that's my point made, I'll leave it at that.

I would suggest you brush up on bird identification before you shoot too much live quarry, if you can't identify a young pigeon then you certainly wouldn't be able to spot a Stock Dove, and they're now protected. blink.gif

This is all very bizarre, Deny has made a very sensible reply, if you can't positively identify what exactly is flying past your gun barrels the you shouldn't pull the trigger on it, pure & simple.

I can't see how that can be considered offensive or unhelpful, it's just plain common sense.

Furthermore, if your Father & uncle had already told you it was a young Woodie, then why on Earth did you need confirmation on this forum, do you not trust their judgement..??

Cat.

Thanks for the advice :lol: I've been shooting for nigh on 30 years and I've never shot any protected species, have you? Thanks to the wonders of my camera phone and the interweb I though I'd get what I've always believed to be "Young Birds" confirmed. Now the doors that way > > > > just be careful getting off that soapbox :oops:

Shooting for 30 years and only just got around to asking the question?:lol::sly: Never, ever shot a protected species?:lol:?? :good: How do these people get hold of an SGC? The UK is one of the only countries in Europe that doesn't require some sort of theoretical/practical test before gaining the right to shoot live quarry. WHY?

Thanks for the advice :good: I've been shooting for nigh on 30 years and I've never shot any protected species, have you? Thanks to the wonders of my camera phone and the interweb I though I'd get what I've always believed to be "Young Birds" confirmed. Now the doors that way > > > > just be careful getting off that soapbox :sly:

Sorry tullyhubbert but I'm gonna disagree with you. I can't see what was wrong with the advice given to you. If you don't recognise the quarry, don't shoot it. If you don't recognise the quarry after you have shot it, then there are even bigger concerns!

As a newbie myself, I think the advice to only shoot when you are certain is quite sound.

But, when in flight, a pigeon of any description is charactersitic, whether they be young, feral or 'normal'. I think tullyhubbert's question was entirely valid, as it is obvious he knew they were pigeons, but on second look couldn't decide whether they were feral or young. This is not something which could be seen when in flight, but was still clear they were pigeons. :oops::sly::good:

Ok?

No it's not OK! Ferals, Stock Doves, Racing Pigeons, Collard Doves and Woodpigeons might all belong to the same family BUT they DO NOT look alike nor do they fly alike and if you can't tell the difference before you shoot you should take up golf!

Notice the bit in bold, that is my point exactly. He wouldn't have shot them if he hadn't known they were flying like pigeons :sly: