Shotgun police interview

gundawg66

I had mine last week, before he left I asked him and he said well I have to put it up to the head of firearms unit or something but I cant see why you cant have one.

I was told that if you dont here anything you got your SGC if you do here something quickly it maybe a no.

Edited by dustyfox

Hi, I had my visit and the chap was really sound, he was a retired firearms officer. Basically if your cabinet is nice and secure and you can tell him a little bit about what and where you are going to shoot all should be well. He will probably say before he goes "there should be no problem wtht your application". Make sure you offer him a brew!

My certificate came 5 days after the visit!!!! Lancashire Police.

Gaining a shot gun licence or a fire arms certificate is not a privelege granted by the police ,but a right ,to any law abiding citizen of good character who can show just cause for owning the particular guns . Harnser .

Wrongggggggg!!!

The police haver to have good reason to refuse a SGC but you have to have good reason to get a FAC. The FAC isn't a right but a privelege granted by the Chief Constable.

It's fast becoming the case that this is starting to happen with shotguns as well.

Wrongggggggg!!!

The police haver to have good reason to refuse a SGC but you have to have good reason to get a FAC. The FAC isn't a right but a privelege granted by the Chief Constable.

It's fast becoming the case that this is starting to happen with shotguns as well.

to true young man.

a chap on the bbs was told to take shotgun shooting lessons before they would give him a sgc.

west yorks as well.

to true young man.

a chap on the bbs was told to take shotgun shooting lessons before they would give him a sgc.

west yorks as well.

I was told that i had to take shotgun shooting lessons and had to shoot with other people with liscenses ,until i told him that i had previously held a shot gun certificate and that i was a under keeper years a go, these requirements soon dissapeared then but thats essex for you.

Edited by jasons gold

This kind of nonsense by individual Police Forces is just not acceptable!

The law is simple - you should be issued with a SGC unless you would be 'a danger to the public or the peace'. Not only that - the danger to the public or peace must be by having a shotgun, NOT in any other way.

Your good reason to have one can be as simple as 'I want to take up shooting'. There is no legal requirement for any form of training, or to have land to shoot over, or anything else!

Not only that, there is a section in the Firearms Act which specifically says that a Chief Constable 'shall not refuse a SGC only on the grounds that 'good reason' has not been shown'!

If any of you hear of Police Forces getting 'creative' in this way, please let me know and I will try to sort it out for you.

Ian

Wrongggggggg!!!

Wronggggggggggggg .

Gaining a shot gun licences and fire arms certicate is a right to Honest law abiding citizens and is not a priviledge offerd by the police . Sometimes the police can be somewhat contentious in the refusing of the grant of certificates . If refused the only way to overturn this ,is to appeal to the crown court .This takes time and money . An applicant may not want to be involved in this route to be a gun owner . The police will of course refuse a grant if they think that a person is not suitable to own guns . Harnser .

Wrongggggggg!!!

Surely if you are applying for a SGC or FAC then you have a good reason? I cannot think why anyone would just apply because they fancied one.

Even for a SGC you must have a reason for wanting a gun, whether it is clays, pigeons, pheasants etc.

Well the fae turned up and he was very helpful. Wanted to know what I had done and what I had Planned for Future shooting. Asked me some questions to find out what I knew and told me some stuff that I either missed or didnt know. Explained the license format and purshasing a gun rules.

I cant express enough how helpful he was ,and encouraging. He did give me a hint.

Thanks for your replies

gundawg66

Wronggggggggggggg .

Gaining a shot gun licences and fire arms certicate is a right to Honest law abiding citizens and is not a priviledge offerd by the police . Sometimes the police can be somewhat contentious in the refusing of the grant of certificates . If refused the only way to overturn this ,is to appeal to the crown court .This takes time and money . An applicant may not want to be involved in this route to be a gun owner . The police will of course refuse a grant if they think that a person is not suitable to own guns . Harnser .

Isn't that pretty much what I said?

The police have to have good reason to refuse a SGC but you have to have good reason to get a FAC.

The FAC isn't a right but a privelege granted by the Chief Constable.

You have to show good reason for each and every firearm you want to own and, on renewal, do the same in order to keep them. You don't have to do this for shotguns (if the FLO's apply the guidance properly)

Edited by DaveK

Gaining a shot gun licences and fire arms certicate is a right

You're wrong on this. There are special provisions under section 27 (1) b of the Firearms Act which apply to Firearms and not to shotguns

'that he has good reason for having in his possession, or for

purchasing or acquiring, the firearm or ammunition in respect

of which the application is made'

Thus the burden of proof is on the Chief Constable to show that you should not hold a SGC and you to show the Chief Constable that you need a FAC.

I don't think it's helpful to talk about the 'right' to have a certificate as most of these threads are read by future applicants. My experience of the FEO and the overwhelming majority of the posts on here show them to be reasonable and helpful. There's no need to get bolshie.

For my visit I made sure my cabinet was fixed, had joined BASC, was having a course of instruction and was safety minded. It makes sense to stack the odds in your favour (especially if you're young or live in a town or city). An unfortunate effect of this is that if enough people do what I did, FEOs might regard those who don't prepare less favourably.

Read the Police Manuals at BASC The manuals instruct the firearms dept. to first cash the cheque; then check your record on the computer; follow up any medical enquiry,and then send the FEO out. I would urge any applicant to read the manuals they should give you confidence that as long as you've been good nothing to worry about.

I won't say good luck with your applications because you don't need it.

good post oddman.

but the one thing i have found on all the shooting forums is when applying for fac or sgc

luck, you need it.

reading manuals, you can read them till your blue in the face if the flm says no, your in for a fight, weather you have been good or not.

countless numbers of people on all the forums have impeccable police records, good reason to posses, land to shoot, but are still refused there tickets.

good post oddman.

countless numbers of people on all the forums have impeccable police records

I think no police record is better! Hence my advice about joining BASC - people with no good reason to be refused should appeal. In our legal system rights are established in court not asserted on forums.

I have had my policed interview three days ago and was told on the spot "I see on reason why you should not have a licence".

Letter of acceptance arriver today. I must get a gun cabinet first and have it inspected.

I am cleared for a 3 gun licence only as the front door is not a 5 lever mortice lock.

The police will check you out and your level home of security. Door locks window locks.

What spot in the house do you propose to put the gun case.

You as a person: Do you come over as responsible type chap.

You will be asked about gun safty. Backstop eta;;;

Where are you going to shoot..

How will you trasport the gun.

I'm having my front door replaced to a five lever mortice lock...

It can be best if you do not be interviewed with a load of tattoos rings through nose, swords and nazie party memrobilia on the wall.

Good luck.

Robert.

Dunno but BASC provides free legal advice and BASC officers have suggested they might back test cases where unreasonable refusal of SGC eg. too young.

just had a long long long long thread on this one.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=69389&hl=

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...sult_type=posts

have a read.

its only forum stuff, but it helps some.

countless numbers of people on all the forums have impeccable police records, good reason to posses, land to shoot, but are still refused there tickets.

I don't believe for one minute that there are more than a couple of cases a year where the Police refuse a SGC/FAC for no reason to someone who met the above criteria (no record, good reason, land to shoot etc).

I do, however, believe there are countless people on internet forums who don't give the full story as to why they were refused a SGC/FAC!!