Shotgun police interview

gundawg66

I don't believe for one minute that there are more than a couple of cases a year where the Police refuse a SGC/FAC for no reason to someone who met the above criteria (no record, good reason, land to shoot etc).

I do, however, believe there are countless people on internet forums who don't give the full story as to why they were refused a SGC/FAC!!

Absoulutely correct . Any person who meets the criteria will be issued a licence as a right and not as a priviledge by their local constabulary . It would be a priviledge for the constabulary to issue the licence as the police rearly deal with the honest people that apply for gun licence . Harnser .

Absoulutely correct . Any person who meets the criteria will be issued a licence as a right and not as a priviledge by their local constabulary . It would be a priviledge for the constabulary to issue the licence as the police rearly deal with the honest people that apply for gun licence . Harnser .

Oh! I give up. You live in your world and the rest of us will live in the real one. I'm done with this topic. No member of the public has a right to own a firearm.

then you 2 carry on living in your dream world.

next time a person is refused because they have no experiance tell them they must be having us on, and not telling us the full story.

I don't believe for one minute that there are more than a couple of cases a year where the Police refuse a SGC/FAC for no reason to someone who met the above criteria (no record, good reason, land to shoot etc).

you have missed out .

no experience and no dsc1 or 2.

ask on the forums who has been refused on the last 2.

the firearms licensing authorities have been refusing on these last 2 for a good few years (with or without a police record) and the shooting organizations seem to do very little about it.

Edited by markbivvy

Isn't it down to the police to know that you are safe and know what you are doing and that they can trust the person to hold a shotgun knowing that they will not act irresponsibly?

So as long as you got no recent criminal histery, depression etc. You can have one wheather you are experienced with shotguns or not?

Dont know about rifles so not talking about that.

Oh! I give up. You live in your world and the rest of us will live in the real one. I'm done with this topic. No member of the public has a right to own a firearm.

I think your right Dave, if it was a right there would be no point in the interview would there, and yes the law is diffrent for shotguns :good:

Steve

Jeez this is hard work. :good:

SGC is a right.

FAC is a privilege.

There are conditions to be met e.g. security, sanity.

Various police forces have tried to stop granting SGCs for no good reason and try to impose various conditions such as mentoring and other nonsense like that - this is where SACS, BASC etc come into their own and will sort things out. Why? Because the police MUST grant you SGC if you are not an exempt person. Why? BECAUSE IT'S A RIGHT! You do not have to show good reason.

FAC is different. You must show good reason, have permission / be in a club and if you're a good boy you'll be granted the privilege of having FAC.

Whilst not verbatim, the above is taken from a Bill Harriman article in Shooting Times from early this year or late last year.

So as long as you got no recent criminal histery, depression etc. You can have one wheather you are experienced with shotguns or not?

I know what you are saying but there is a firearms office in London at the moment, no doubt crapping themselves over the fact they may have or may have not made an error giving a licence to a barrister in London who was shooting at Police form his house into the street and Police shot him dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( don't get me wrong, who would deny a barrister on a normal day)

Everytime this happens and this isn't the first or the last, it puts another obsticle in our way. In the last week or two a man was shot dead by Police in Harold Hill Essex whilst walking around with an appararent AK47 and 2 sidearms!!!!!!!!!!! after a domestic with his partner. He was taking shots at Police, apparently. I just hope this bloke wasn't any sort of gun licence holder!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sort of thing only makes people think even worse of the honest licence holders in the country!!!!!!!!!!

Do gooders don't bother replying to this post, this is factual event!!!!!!!!!!

*** please.

I know what you are saying

i dont think you do.

Jeez this is hard work. :)

SGC is a right.

FAC is a privilege.

There are conditions to be met e.g. security, sanity.

Various police forces have tried to stop granting SGCs for no good reason and try to impose various conditions such as mentoring and other nonsense like that - this is where SACS, BASC etc come into their own and will sort things out. Why? Because the police MUST grant you SGC if you are not an exempt person. Why? BECAUSE IT'S A RIGHT! You do not have to show good reason.

FAC is different. You must show good reason, have permission / be in a club and if you're a good boy you'll be granted the privilege of having FAC.

Whilst not verbatim, the above is taken from a Bill Harriman article in Shooting Times from early this year or late last year.

for example:

i use air rifles. i dont have a need for a SGC. i shoot rabbits, yet, i need a FAC, as they are getting out of hand. other methods have been tried, but with no luck.

would this mean i qualify for FAC? :good:

I do, however, believe there are countless people on internet forums who don't give the full story as to why they were refused a SGC/FAC!!

in my youth i was a wayward lad scrapper `only thought people who wanted it and there was plenty plod included served many prison sentence's as i stated as a scapper .last term in prison was 1990 i applied for sgc in 2006 was refused striaght away . i was sent a letter of appeal if i wanted advised not to but went ahead as 16 yrs was a life sentence and not been in trouble [get older get wiser ] went to court police gave me there exspence's before we enterd crown court bluddy cheek £1,675.. the police produced a file as big as they could find .i explained to the judge all the pre 1990 was 16yrs old . and he stated that some of it was 3-4-5-6 years old .so i asked to veiw it HUNT SAB'S complaint's told judge i was never arrested or questioned on any of them and knew nothing off them . i produced a humane killer in court told judge i have it on my person everyday of a hunt since i was 18yrs old and had,nt killed anyone.and produced a document of all the pioson's and gasses i can legaly handle day to day .he ajuornd the case for around 15 mins came back in started of by praiseing the plod and said he could see where they where comeing from .that was enough for me i started packing my paperwork away check book out ready when the judge almost shouted at me because i could hardly hear him for my head was going around as to what to do next appeal again so on . when i heard him say mr ------ did you hear me .my reply was no sorry sir .he replied i said i do beleive a person can change and i belive you have changed and i am going to give you a chance dont let me down. plod came over shook my hand i shook the judge's hand the fao gave me a warning that plod want the license back stay clean that was 2 years ago i now have x 2 shotti's a 22lr a 222 bsa cf and enjoy my shooting . wife say's i should write a book .from

[ a hoodie to a goodie ]

my previous is nothing to be proud of but it was a miss spent youth. could,nt list convictions cant remember half of it . behind me now thou, the right of appeal doe's work but i would like to say not in all case's i think i was very lucky noel

then you 2 carry on living in your dream world.

next time a person is refused because they have no experiance tell them they must be having us on, and not telling us the full story.

you have missed out .

no experience and no dsc1 or 2.

ask on the forums who has been refused on the last 2.

the firearms licensing authorities have been refusing on these last 2 for a good few years (with or without a police record) and the shooting organizations seem to do very little about it.

As you stated, I missed out the experience aspect for FAC (amongst other things) - it wasn't meant to be a conclusive list of the criteria to be met for a SGC or FAC (hence the "etc" at the end of my list). My point was that if you tick all the boxes then it is very unlikely indeed that you will be refused a ticket.

You seem to be suggesting that lack of experience is not a good reason to be denied a FAC. Do you think it is reasonable that someone who's had no training, no experience, never picked up a centrefire rifle let alone shot one should be granted a FAC to allow them to purchase a rifle and wander the countryside unsupervised??? I don't, so I wouldn't consider someone who has been denied a FAC on these grounds to have been treated unfairly by the police.

DSC is a different issue and is not a legal requirement so yes, I'd have sympathy with someone who'd met all the other criteria but had an application denied on the basis of not having DSC.

I tried really , really hard bignoel, but I haven't really got a clue what your post was saying! Something along the lines of reformed character, denied cert on first application, appeal and then granted?? Agree this can and does happen - my point wasn't that you can only get a cert if you meet all the criteria, rather that it'd be rare you'd be denied if you met them all straight off.

This kind of nonsense by individual Police Forces is just not acceptable!

The law is simple - you should be issued with a SGC unless you would be 'a danger to the public or the peace'. Not only that - the danger to the public or peace must be by having a shotgun, NOT in any other way.

Your good reason to have one can be as simple as 'I want to take up shooting'. There is no legal requirement for any form of training, or to have land to shoot over, or anything else!

Not only that, there is a section in the Firearms Act which specifically says that a Chief Constable 'shall not refuse a SGC only on the grounds that 'good reason' has not been shown'!

If any of you hear of Police Forces getting 'creative' in this way, please let me know and I will try to sort it out for you.

Ian

BUT before the Chief Constable is involved - you have to get past the super human (civilian) FLO's (biting tounge) :good: :good: :( :mad::good:???