Decoying, When DO you shoot?

Bosch*Bang

Hiya guys and Gals,

If some of you read my first post you might know that soon i will be doing my first bit of decoying.

What i am trying to find out is when do most of you shoot? Do you shoot when the pigeon is on the way into the decoy pattern? or do you let the bird land and then wait for it to take off before pullin the trigger?

Im just trying to get an idea of what most do.

I met a couple of guys at the weekend who were telling that they shot them when they landed on the ground. Do people really do this? i actually thought these guys was joking at first but it turned out they were not joking at all.

I honestly cant see the fun, skill or sport in shooting them when they are not flying, you have to atleast give them a chance (well i think so).

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Bosch Bang

I always shoot the birds when they come into the pattern just before they land normally wings flapping and feet out (the point of no return for the bird)

I also shoot them as they cross the pattern if they look like they are not going to land

I never ever shoot the pigeons when they are on the ground as i class this as unsporting giving the bird no chance what so ever

I may be wrong in saying this but that is my opinion and i stick by it :D

hope this helps

cheers shawn

The vast majority of birds that come in to your pattern will not land, as they recognise the trap on the way into the pattern.

The odd young bird, ferals and stockdoves will often land, but not many adult woodies. Those that do sit right on the outer edge of the pattern, often beyond effective range.

By the time they are over the pettern it is too late, as they should be within range and you should already have a bead on them and be lining up the shot.

Also, it is a fact that they are harder to kill when on the ground than in the air.

I don't know any shotgun shooters who wait for them to land, and I think they're pulling your wotnot..!!

:D:sly::lol:

Just as an aside BB there may be times when a bird will sneak in without you seeing it and land smack in the middle of your decoys. Shooting it is very unsporting and you will feel bloody stupid if you miss. :D

So the best thing to do is to wait for the next bird to come into land, shoot that one and then take the first bird as it takes off (hopefully). :sly:

G.M.

i shoot as soon as they come into the range but if they are flying over i'll knock em down. the great thing about deeking is that you get easy birds and hard ones you can choose the level you want to take them at. i shot game so i consider it unsporting to shoot them on the ground but if they have snuk in then well let em have it. :D

As to the question asked, I shoot when the swing and sight picture dictates; I find hanging on to the shot waiting for the undercarriage to come down leads to a poked shot and a miss.

You can pretty well tell by the way a bird comes in whether he's going to land or not; he'll set his wings and head for the gap you should have left in the pattern. I regard this as a fair test of my "picture"; I sometimes let one land just to make sure the thing looks convincing.

With the odd one that lands without being seen I do as Gemini does.

As a by the way I find using a magnet often puts birds off from landing, but a nice pattern of recently shot birds encourages them to do so. Anyone else noticed this?

Regards

Eug

As a by the way I find using a magnet often puts birds off from landing, but a nice pattern of recently shot birds encourages them to do so.  Anyone else noticed this?

Yes definately...

I find that a larger percentage of birds land amongst static decoys when I am not using a magnet or flapper than do when I am.

We must remember the white wing bars on a woody are not only a attractor for other woodies they are also display and warning bars. Very often if a woody in a flock feeding on the ground sets his wings to take off the rest will follow.

If the birds are feeding confidently in a particular field I will often take the rotary down and turn off the flapper and peg out as many shot birds as possible. Many times in the past I have finished the day with 12 -15 birds on cradles and all the shell deeks back in the bag.

If you have to wait for birds to land in the decoys when using the rotary more often than not you will have a long wait.

I normally shoot them when I know they are as close as they are going to get and only time and experience in the field will tell you when this is.

FM.

FM,

Many times in the past I have finished the day with 12 -15 birds on cradles and all the shell deeks back in the bag.

Interesting. Our experiences and observations tally (probably both barking!).

If I've only got shells to start with I pull three in for every dead bird I susequently set up. I'd rather have eight real birds well pegged up, than the twenty four shells I kick off with.

Funny about the magnet, I've not got it all figured out yet. A floater still pulls when a magnet doesn't; but I have no satisfactory explanation.

Regards

Eug

Not sporting but I always shoot if they`re on the ground,and they aren`t any harder to kill. Imagine the shot string in the air,even if the bird is flying it wont be in the pattern all the time unlike the bird on the ground.Yes I know the farmer is not there but I will know if I`m not killing what should be a dead cert.

Henry,

If I want one for the magnet or flapper I'll shoot them on the ground too.

I don't altogether agree with you about them not being any more dificult to kill though; a lot depends on shot size, terrain and range I've found.

I used to use true cylinder and 7 shot for decoying; one of the reasons I stopped doing that was the number of "sitters" that got up and flew off. I put this down to the fact that the underside of the bird was often protected by folds in the ground, and that the folded wings added another layer of protection.

Over time I've changed to 32g No 6, 3/4 choke (sometimes full) and the few I shoot on the ground stay there. I imagine you are using something like that.

Regards

Eug

BB

A tip, which I hope you find helpful, that I think I learned from John Battley's excellent book "the Pigeon Shooter" :

When more than one pigeon comes along, and if they look as though they are going to "commit" to your decoy pattern, allow at least the first pigeon to land if you can. This is not so easy as it sounds, because if you are anything like me the sheer will power required not to shoot at a pigeon which looks in easy range is indescribable, and there will be quite alot of time up to that point when your quarry will provide you with tempting looking shots. Whatever, try to use your first barrell on one of the ones just behind the first pigeon which is still in the air and just about to land - if you get him, the other ones that are still in the air will fly off at great speed at the sound of your shot, so making for a pretty difficult shot for your second barrell, but the first one which you allowed to land, and which now has to launch itself into the air before it can get away, should make an easier shot for your second.

Good luck!

Grenville

he'll set his wings and head for the gap you should have left in the pattern

Eugene as i new to the decoying front can you explain what you mean by this?

I have looked at all of decoying patterns and the only gap i can think of is between the two ends of the horse shoe is this what you mean?

Thanks for all the help and info guys its is very helpful for me.

Tom

When more than one pigeon comes along, and if they look as though they are going to "commit" to your decoy pattern, allow at least the first pigeon to land if you can. This is not so easy as it sounds, because if you are anything like me the sheer will power required not to shoot at a pigeon which looks in easy range is indescribable, and there will be quite alot of time up to that point when your quarry will provide you with tempting looking shot.

The first time of only twice when I have shot three pigeons in one go with my auto, I saw three birds coming in to the pattern almost line astern.

I conciously waited and let the first one land and then shot the second,quickly followed by the first which was now airborne.

To my surprise the third bird, instead of flying off out of range, turned in front of the pattern and flew in front of me. Down it came with my third shot.

Only happened once since but can't remember the details as accurately as the first time which will always remain in my mind.

Bosch*Bang,

I think you've got the idea.

Just to elaborate a bit; every decoy pattern should be designed to persuade the birds to land in your "killing zone". This should be where you have them at the right range for your particular gun/cartridge/shooting skill combination.

Most patterns will leave a space for the birds to drop in, just like the gap in the horseshoe. LB's straight formation or the "fish hook" will channel the pigeon into a certain preferred spot, ie your "killing zone."

Probably FM, Webber, Cranners, Ern and the other old boilers like me do the same as I do when the zone starts to get a bit filled up with shot birds. I pick them up and redistribute them amongst the pattern so that incoming birds can still see a gap.

Fiddling about with deek patterns is great fun; when it doesn't work, well, that's show business, no need to burst into tears. When it does ring the bell you feel really chuffed.

kind Regards

Eug