Lamping which light

Beno

I’ve just started doing a bit of lamping. I am wondering what is the best lamp for my needs I would like a scope mounted one so I can go out alone. I mainly go out for rabbits . I would also need a battery which ones are the best.

Edited by Beno

I’ve just started doing a bit of lamping. I am wondering what is the best lamp for my needs I would like a scope mounted one so I can go out alone. I mainly go out for rabbits and the odd fox but mainly rabbit bashing. I would also need a battery which ones are the best.

this is as much of a problem as what lamp to use. if you buy a small-ish scope mounted lamp, then make sure you buy rechargeable batterys, as they dont last more than a few outings. if you do a lot of roaming in a car/truck, whatever, then a car adapter is the way to go.

God, im spelling worse than normal today, head is still a bit fuzzy. :hmm:

Hi Beno, I went out with Ceaser just before Christmas and he was using a Solarforce 1200 lumens. I had never been lamping before but this bit of kit was amazing for its size which wasn't any bigger than a normal torch. It lit up the field and all the rabbits amazingly!!!! I think they sell them on flebay. The batteries are rechargeable and I think Steve said he got 2 sets with his.

Deffo worth a look!

Happy New Year, Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lightforce 170 scope mounted lamp with 2x 7Ah batteries in a belt pack. I'm very pleased with it. I would suggest using differant size lamps depending on application, mine came with a 75w as standard but i use a 100w now but this is very bright. I prefer the belt pack for shooting on my own as stays close to your body as opposed to a shoulder bag especially if your lying on the ground a lot. The battery charger in my battery kit was rubbish though looks like a glorified phone charger, i use a car battery charger now. also if using a moderator be careful/prepared for scope glare problem which i currenty have. Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I agree with the lightforce advice, i have used lightforce for a good few years and they are excellent, there are various favourites on the market though, deben etc, all down to personal preference, but from my experience, I would say the SL140 is better than the SL170 if thinking of scope mounting, the 140 isn't quite as big, but still has more than enough power.

As for batteries, i use a 12amp drycell in my backpack, i found the 7amp would start to drain if out on a long lamping mission!

And Pooley....Mounting a lamp on a shotgun....Never tried that one.....

This is always a difficult one to answer when you make no reference to what your shooting with - nor if you sling it off your shoulder, whether your a big fit bloke, slightly built or ageing, so don't be surprised at the wide variation of answers you are getting mate. Most people will think what they have is best for you. Most people asking this question are first time lampers - so it's probably for a low power rifle unless they specify its going to be used for foxing.

If it's an air rifle, particularly a sub 12ftlb one, and you sling it then the lightforce ones will constantly get in the way and get knocked out of alignment. Your also probably carrying the weight of a thick walled compressed air container on that rifle so don't want the burden of a heavy battery slung off the belt either.

If this IS your first time and you have a low power rifle Google Deben and have a gander at what you might feel comfortable with. Generally brighter equals longer range and more weight to carry with a larger unit that can get in the way. Most big ones light up much more than you need to illuminate at air rifle distance. My suggestion for an air rifle or LR is the Deben Atom tactical but it may be out of your budget.

EDIT: Just looked at your profile and found you use a rimmie - so forget most of the above, cant beleive I posted it really. :good:

Edited by Dave-G

• 2 weeks later...
what would anyone recommend for mounting on a o/u shotgun for lamping

Go to the deben site a tracer mini with the shotgun clamp (universal swivel mount)attachment works fine I have used it many times, the only problem can be the leads pull out from the lamp to battery occasionally when you fire.

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/tracer...lights/mini.php

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/tracer...ghts/mounts.php