Law on traveling in a car with another non SGC holder, with a gun

GJUK

Hello,

I have another question.

What is the law on traveling in a car (as a SGC holder and driver) with other person(s) who are not SGC holders, while a shotgun is in the car (covered and in the boot).

Many thanks,

Jon

Hmm - that seems a bit like asking if an unlicensed shooter can accompany me to have a looksee.

As long as I don't permit the unlicensed person to handle my rifle then surely it would be ok while "we go out shooting" - either in the car or otherwise?

It all comes down to posession. You still have posession of the shotgun as it is in the car. Your travelling friend would not be classed as being in posession of the gun. You also remain the posessor if you get out of the car briefly for example to pay for petrol etc.

Why tell em you got a gun in your car ?

I've quoted my original question for you.

Hello,

I have another question.

What is the law on traveling in a car (as a SGC holder and driver) with other person(s) who are not SGC holders, while a shotgun is in the car (covered and in the boot).

Many thanks,

Jon

I was asking about the law on travelling in a car with a shotgun and other non SGC holder(s), not the information I should/shouldn’t pass to my passenger.

Regards,

Well as they say, there are no stupid questions!!

Well, this one must come pretty close..??

Why doesn't GJUK do what most normal people do, and if you can't understand the common sense aspects of the law, carry out some research into Firearms law via his Local Police Authority website.

I'm afraid I wouldn't like to be within 500 yards of this guy if he was holding a loaded gun. :good:

Cat.

I'm afraid I wouldn't like to be within 500 yards of this guy if he was holding a loaded gun.

What a thing to say,

I actually shared a hide recently with GJUK and have to say he his a perfectly safe shot, no small wonder people are afraid to ask questions on this site when they recieve answers and comments like this one.

In my line of work i actively encourage people to ask questions, people learn in different ways.

Some times it is not easy to interpret rules and regulations, if you are not sure ASK!!!

Thanks Wingnut/Andy.

Others - well I was only asking a question. I don't mind if you think I'm stuipd for ten minutes doing so, as long as I get the right information. :good:.

I'm afraid I wouldn't like to be within 500 yards of this guy if he was holding a loaded gun.

I'm not going to bother replying to that.

Regards,

Jon

Well, this one must come pretty close..??

Why doesn't GJUK do what most normal people do, and if you can't understand the common sense aspects of the law, carry out some research into Firearms law via his Local Police Authority website.

I'm afraid I wouldn't like to be within 500 yards of this guy if he was holding a loaded gun. :good:

Cat.

Agree entirely, should be asking the right people (Local Police Authority) they know the letter of the law!

Agree entirely, should be asking the right people (Local Police Authority) they know the letter of the law!

You wouldn’t within 500 yards of me either? Because I asked a question, on a forum. Designed to discuss shooting?

I'm new to this. My dads not a farmer. I don't have 300,000 acres of land to walk about in. No one I know shoots. All I have is this forum and my FLO (who, yes, I have directed some questions to already). So give me a break. This hobby is important to me and I want to get it right, first time.

Maybe you'd prefer it if people didn’t ask questions and pretended they already knew everything.

It’s quite obvious you're just agreeing with 'Catamong' because you're his 'mate'. But then if you want to follow people blindly that’s up to you. I have my own opinion and will continue to ask these ‘ridiculous questions’ on here :good:.

Regards,

Jon

The basic of the law is that you must take all reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access to your gun. So if it is locked in the boot I suggest that this would be acceptable. If it was on the back seat I suggest this would be unacceptable.

David

I have a 4x4 so I dont have a boot to lock it in :good: Is this unacceptable?

I have a 4x4 so I dont have a boot to lock it in :good: Is this unacceptable?

If you are out of the vehicle and there is no other security for the gun (such as a cable or a fixed safe) then its best to cover it up and make sure you dont spend too much time away from the vehicle.

Nipping in to the shop for a paper: yes.

Going to tesco for a 4 hour 2 trolley shopping bonanza: no. might leave some explaining to do if it went missing as to why you didnt take it home first.

Well said Jon. You ask away mate, that's the best way to learn. Good luck to you with your future sport of shooting.

well said that man :good: B) :hmm: just read the proper answers and ignore all the rest, its the only way

lee

Edited by viking

GJUK

Pay no mind to catamong as I happen to know he's had a few too many mince pies over the festive period and now his lederhosen are a bit tight.

What I would say is do not take as gospel the answers in particular to your legal questions, I've been caught out on this, been given some incorrect info and looked a bit of a mug for it. Also there are many GREY areas where different regions may have differing policies.

Enjoy your sport, shoot straight and be safe. :yes:

TP