Floater System or Magnet?

ochre

Hi Ochre,

I,ve just received a rotary decoy machine that I bought from the net on Ebay from Andymoss (he sell a few of this tipe on the net) looks fantastic and very robust and I didn,t know that the kit was coming with battery included and two pigeons if you want to buy one don't place any bid but just email him he will do a dial over the phone and he's very reliable I've paid mine 85 Pound

Good luck

I have a Pinewood Advantage magnet which is now very often left in the bag in favour of a electronic flapper. This works well with a couple of telescopic floaters and a dozen or so shell deaks.

Based on what I have found from the last 18months shooting if I had to outlay on some basic kit It would be the Electronic flapper and some wands.

FM.

I've never used the floaters or flappers so I'll struggle to pass my opinion on them but they seem very popular and effective if used in the right way.

I use a magnet myself and I'm still learning some of the advantages of using one, for example.

Went out last Sunday, typical horseshoe pattern with the magnet at the tip of the pattern. All the birds were coming in very high and almost stalling in the air very high above my hide, and then floating down almost vertically down into the pattern.

The problem was they where seeing me as they were coming down and doing what they do best, flying away.

I thought I’d try and move the magnet to the end of one of the legs and guess what, yes, they all started to drop much further away giving me a much better chance of getting a comfortable shot at them.

Other times within 5 minutes of deploying the magnet it comes back in if the first birds fail to land into the pattern, I like to let the first birds come in to see their reaction, and if they land its most probable that the rest of the days birds will come in confidentially.

We learn on every shoot we go out on if we observe the different reactions to the quarry, so Ochre start with getting your decoy pattern correct first and then tinker with all the others gizmos out there.

Good luck mate

The PM

If your working with a small budget it's got to be floaters.

But, I allways use flocked flying deeks on mine plus I have welded two extra tines onto the base which are far better for stability. Previously depending on the wind speed and slight direction changes the floaters had a life of their own and ended up just lying on the floor :*) :*) Plus the floaters must be used as an addition to a decoy pattern.

On numerous occasions with the Magnet I don't use any deeks, no pattern at all.

But, Magnet, battery, timer etc can work out more expensive than floaters.

Which ever you choose .. they both work :devil::sly:

until a couple of weeks ago I would have said go for the flapper and or floater but after reluctantly buying a rotary I have now witnessed them "pulling" birds in Ok they may sometimes only be looking and they definatlely dont fully commit to a rotary like a flapper/floater but for dragging the birds in to shooting distance albeit briefly I must take my hat off to them, only thing is it is the most unatural "flight" you can imagine so why the birds come in can only be guessed at.

cheers Keith